Menu

Laundry question - white softball/baseball pants

extendedforecast

My go-to method was that they got stained and looked like crap by the end of the season. Also, to complain as to who thinks white pants make sense for a sport where sliding in the dirt is a regular occurrence. 

More seriously, I did spray with OxyClean as a pre-treat, wash with an extra soak, and sometimes washed a second time through. But I never cracked the code for making them look new again. 

• Like 2

I knew parents who went to the car wash on the way home and used the pressure sprayer to pre spray.

I used Iron Out and while it is supposedly the same as White Brite I never had the same results from White Brite. 

When my guy was little I scrubbed with Fels Naptha soap. But when he became grown man size that was just too much trouble.

I mostly just accepted that they would never look clean and did whatever version of pre treating and soaking I felt up to.

When he was a little guy and only playing on weekends I would soak in a tub with OxyClean all week until he needed them again.

But honestly none of that is worth it. The products are expensive and the pants will be dirty again immediately.

(FYI- I am in the south and my issue is red clay) 

• Like 1

I think the fashion may be a holdover from Cricket whites. So my guess is that it takes laundry back to times of very hot water (possibly boiled on a stove before machine era), strong lye soap,  plenty of bleach and or vinegar, and drying on line in direct sunshine. (And servants too probably, but I digress.)  

Tip: Direct application of a detergent paste to a stain can significantly lighten it. 

But I tend to be in the camp that would let them get stained since it is too much trouble to achieve gleaming white uniforms and a stupid color choice for nowadays. And they will be stained again by end of each game. 

• Like 2

soak in oxyclean for a few hours, then scrub with a brush. I use a small firm brush that was sold as a dish cleaning brush. I sometimes find myself rinsing and dipping back into the oxyclean a few times while I brush.

protip: a bucket of oxyclean is usually good for more than one soak. Sometimes I'll leave the bucket in the laundry sink for a few days to be able to soak whites more than once in it. (My DS has a full-length white outfit he has to wear daily for hifz school)

and sun really does help get stains out of whites. Lay your whites out to dry in the sun for a few hours, it will quickly get rid of any shadow-type stains. Sun will dull other colors though if you leave it out long enough.

8 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

FWIW, you can make a much stronger concentration of oxyclean solution than just the scoop you throw in with a load of wash - trying to remember if that's even on the label in small print?

yes to this! I put about a scoop, sometimes a bit more, sometimes with a tiny bit of laundry detergent too, into a pail about the size of a bathroom garbage-can.

I spent hours the other day scrubbing white baseball pants.  This is why I love this board!  I've had no luck with Oxyclean or Iron Out, some success on certain types of dirt using Fels-Naptha.  DS17's high school has an artificial turf/aritifical dirt (except for pitchers mound) surface and those stains are virtually impossible to get out.  Off to try some of the other recommendations here. 

My ds played travel ball for ten years so baseball laundry was a huge production and part of my mom job. He plays college ball now for a low budget D3 team and as a freshman had to be on laundry duty for the whole team- 40 uniforms! I was so afraid he was going to accidentally use the Iron Out on the colored jerseys and ruin them. 

As a sophomore and junior he was in a laundry supervisory role. Lol.I just never could feel sorry for those guys on laundry duty after knowing their moms spent so much time and energy on white pants while they were growing up. Lol

• Like 1

My go-to is a witch's brew of 1 part Dawn dishwashing liquid to 2 parts hydrogen peroxide (a new bottle, that stuff has a shelf life) in a spray bottle.  I completely saturate the stain with it, sprinkle some oxyclean on it, saturate it with the witch's brew again until it's a thick paste, rub it in, roll it up and let it soak for a day or two, checking on it to make sure it's still wet.  I've taken crushed blueberry stains that sat for 4 days out of light khaki cotton shorts, olive oil, tomato sauce, and make up (foundation and lipstick) with it. You have to rinse a lot because of the Dawn in it-that stuff is really concentrated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1