Menu

Everybody is so quiet: Have you all started the semester yet?

I just finished my first week of class and thought I'd pop in here to see how everyone else is doing. 

I am, so far, somewhat unimpressed with my two courses. My university uses Canvas as its platform, and I have to say that the organization/structure of the materials for each course is unnecessarily confusing. This is especially ironic considering that the program is about instructional design.

In addition, the first assignment for one class was -- no kidding -- copying and pasting photos onto a template in the shape of a t-shirt and then explaining why you chose those photos.

Did I mention these are graduate level courses?

I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that these online classes have huge drop-off rates at the beginning of the semester, meaning (I assume) that these first week assignments are kind of filler to kill time until the instructors can see who is actually sticking around. But it's not an auspicious start.

Has anyone else started class already? How's it going? If not, when is the big day for you?

• Like 3

I finished my first week too. I have a ton of homework! I just finished grading the first assignment for the two classes I'm teaching and that took a bit longer than I expected, but it was kind of fun. This weekend will be spend doing a lot of reading, writing one essay, and prepping next week's lesson plans.

• Like 3

I start Monday.  I am hoping the class goes well, but I really don’t know.  I have the book and the necessary workbook.  I think this is the worst Japanese textbook I have ever seen.  I have others if I need them, but this one is horrible.  I hope the class is more useful.

It has been a busy week here.  My daughter left for college Thursday, her classes start Monday too.  And my son left for college this morning, his classes start on Thursday.  Lots of busy getting things set up.

• Like 3

Classes start today here but I don't have anything on Mondays. This semester I have and independent study on Native American literature and film, and the other is Federal MNative American Law and policy.  The independent study only has a solo meeting each week with the professor, but he's teaching an undergrad class in literature so I'll be siitting in on that as I like.

• Like 3

I started on the 20th. I'm trying to remember that being a TA is like having a full-time job and the professor is great. For one of my classes, How-to History, we're finding secondary sources for our research topic. That I like because research is my happy little spot, and I already had my topic chosen. The other class is taught by my advisor and will be fine. 

I like my apartment, it's quiet, almost too quiet. Thankfully the TAs have an office area with desks. I even had a shelf to keep my stuff - it's the little things. ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, elegantlion said:

Thankfully the TAs have an office area with desks. I even had a shelf to keep my stuff - it's the little things. ?

I share a desk in the GA office, no shelf, but I do have a drawer all my own lol. It is nice to have a space at the University that is mine. It makes me feel like I belong there. I know, I'm weird.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:45 PM, JenneinCA said:

And I had my first class today.  She spent an hour reading the syllabus to us.  Ug!

I was hoping for more teaching and less classroom management.  Wednesday should be better.  

One of my first surprises going back to college after nearly 25yrs away was that most college courses now spend the first class going over the syllabus.  At least this is the cause in core classes. Back in the 80s we were given the syllabus, maybe taking 15min to quickly run through it and then we were responsible for keeping track of it ourselves.  Maybe at graduate level it's different?  It's kind of surprising to me that they waste an entire class doing so.  But, at my school I think it is required by the school itself.    My current class is lecture/lab - so 3hrs long.  The Professor took the first 45-1hr of class to go over the syllabus.  

In other news, I started my class last week.  I think the teacher is going to be very good and I'm excited about the class.  The class is full.  The only drawback is there's one student who is a loud "know it all" and doesn't hold back.  This person even asked the prof (who is has a PhD in her field) after the FIRST class, "Is this class going to get any more interesting because this is all Middle School stuff."   I thought the Prof handled herself very diplomatically.  But, this student is super annoying and, in the last class, I got stuck sitting next to them.  They talked about the subject under their breath or hummed the whole class.  I even politely and quietly said, "Shhh, I'm trying to hear".  That lasted all of 5 mins.   Next class, I need to get there early if I want a good seat.  

Edited by PrincessMommy

HEre they tend to go over the syllabus in-depth for the first class as well, especially undergrad classes. I think it may be a little cya on the professor's part. Everyone is made aware on day one what is expected, so no claims later on of "Well I didn't know that!". This way they have it in print and have been told directly. Our grad classes, we tend to skim the syllabus, since it's generally 'read a book a week and write a final paper and we'll discuss all this every week'.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Starting my 4th week tomorrow.  I, too, was surprised at how much time my Anatomy professor spent on the syllabus during class.  The professor spent a good hour on the syllabus and all I could think was "I can read, dude!"  But then he jumped into lecture and he went through things so fast and spend a good long time on some tangents (don't get me wrong, I like tangents), but I couldn't follow him on the notes.  Then I figured out that I was supposed to print the notes (full color photographs included ... need to stock up on printer ink) and read the notes ahead of time.  But, he didn't post the notes until 11pm the night before and class is at 8 am.  I didn't even see his message about the upload until the break during the 3 hour class.  Now that we have had a few quizzes and I have met some people, I am getting into the groove.  I need to make some quizlet cards for all the memorization.  I saw that there are lots of sets out there for this class, but I find the process of making the cards helps me commit them to memory.  But, alas, I am here procrastinating rather than doing this.

My physics class is much more like I remember college to be.  A no nonsense instructor who expects work to be done completely and on time.  If you arrive late to class when we have a quiz, you don't get extensions.  She moves really fast through the material and I follow what she is doing most of the time, but I wasn't picking up on her cues that she wanted a response from the class rather than asking a rhetorical question. I also get confused because she uses a book that is slightly different than the one that was listed for the class.  Also, the book list for the class included a "required" iclicker.  But they didn't list that you needed a calculator.  Duh.  It's physics.  I should have known.  I had to dig out one of my kids' TI-84 from a box in the crawl space.  These kids in the class are much faster at the math than me but I think I have a better grasp at the concepts than they do.  One benefit of this class is that K, who is a physics whiz, is helping me with my problem sets when I get stuck and we frequently have conceptual discussions, which is giving us something in common to talk about.  This is helping dust off the cobwebs and she seems to find it fun to help me.  If I could find some kids who lived closer, I'd encourage K to charge for tutoring.  I've been trying to push this angle all along, but she is starting to be open to it.  

• Like 1

My first and only grad class this term is a web-based course. So far the text part of the entire course seems to be posted, but none of the audio portion of the  presentations/lectures are working. I've never taken a web-based course, so I didn't even realize something was missing. ?

I like the convenience of the web-based format, but I really miss seeing people face to face. Fortunately, the prof is very approachable by email, text and phone. 

I also attended my first workshop on using the library system for research. Wow! A lot has changed in 24 years since I completed my M.A. It's so much easier and faster now to search for and obtain articles and journals. I signed up for every library workshop they offered, too. There are so many new tools available now!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Peach said:

Well I've started, one week in, and went from do-nothing summer to 110 mph ? Lots of reading as usual, but so far so good! HOw're things going for all of you?

Same! I had the most relaxing summer and the shift into the full school schedule has been an adjustment.

On 9/9/2018 at 7:00 PM, dirty ethel rackham said:

Hi all.

Starting my 4th week tomorrow.  I, too, was surprised at how much time my Anatomy professor spent on the syllabus during class.  The professor spent a good hour on the syllabus and all I could think was "I can read, dude!"  But then he jumped into lecture and he went through things so fast and spend a good long time on some tangents (don't get me wrong, I like tangents), but I couldn't follow him on the notes.  Then I figured out that I was supposed to print the notes (full color photographs included ... need to stock up on printer ink) and read the notes ahead of time.  But, he didn't post the notes until 11pm the night before and class is at 8 am.  I didn't even see his message about the upload until the break during the 3 hour class.  Now that we have had a few quizzes and I have met some people, I am getting into the groove.  I need to make some quizlet cards for all the memorization.  I saw that there are lots of sets out there for this class, but I find the process of making the cards helps me commit them to memory.  But, alas, I am here procrastinating rather than doing this.

Anatomy is really starting to kick my butt. I'm keeping up but it all feels like it's starting to pile up too fast. We have our first lecture exam in a couple of weeks and I'm nervous.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 9:02 PM, wintermom said:

My first and only grad class this term is a web-based course. So far the text part of the entire course seems to be posted, but none of the audio portion of the  presentations/lectures are working. I've never taken a web-based course, so I didn't even realize something was missing. ?

I like the convenience of the web-based format, but I really miss seeing people face to face. Fortunately, the prof is very approachable by email, text and phone. 

I also attended my first workshop on using the library system for research. Wow! A lot has changed in 24 years since I completed my M.A. It's so much easier and faster now to search for and obtain articles and journals. I signed up for every library workshop they offered, too. There are so many new tools available now!

Lifetime access to academic journals and other research materials is THE reason I joined my alumni network. Getting to those juicy tidbits usually hiding behind paywalls is sooooooo delicious!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

Lifetime access to academic journals and other research materials is THE reason I joined my alumni network. Getting to those juicy tidbits usually hiding behind paywalls is sooooooo delicious!

That's awesome. And the articles and research materials one can access is amazing! I just took a workshop on health sciences data bases. Goldmine!  I'll have to check is our alumni has something similar so I can retain access after I graduate.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!  I took a class in the Spring of 2017, and then took over a year off. ? I'm signed up for the GRE in Feb, which I'm not sure is enough time to study but I figure I can take it again. I also signed up for a Psych 101 class Spring 2019, because the first time I took it was 1999 and I'm guessing I've forgotten a thing or two. Also the community college won't let me take any higher level psych classes using my transcript because it was too long ago. #oldlady

I was originally going to get an MPH with an emphasis in women's health, but I am thinking I'm going to do counseling or family therapy instead. I have the problem that everything interests me. ?

Hope everyone's semester is going well! I'm excited to get back into it. 

• Like 2

I got buried. Final project I thought was...you know...the final thing?The draft is due Nov. 9th and as of a week and a half ago, I hadn't started. The final version isn't due till the end but we are apparently going to do peer reviews on 2 others, then have time to revise. Stuff like that never sneaks up on me  but sure did this time ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 7:05 AM, Peach said:

I got buried. Final project I thought was...you know...the final thing?The draft is due Nov. 9th and as of a week and a half ago, I hadn't started. The final version isn't due till the end but we are apparently going to do peer reviews on 2 others, then have time to revise. Stuff like that never sneaks up on me  but sure did this time ?

Dig in, lady! You can do it!!

• Like 1

Despite my prophecies of doom, I'm pulling an A in anatomy. Up until last week, we were still at only 54% of our grade (with 4 weeks to go). We took our 3rd lecture exam last week which now brings us up to 69% of our final grade and I finally feel the panic subsiding. Three quizes, One lecture exam and one lab practicum to go. The practicum is comprehensive and will definitely be the most challenging. 

I feel almost giddy when I think about Christmas break. It's going to feel amazing.

• Like 3

I was doing great until dh's mild heart attack last weekend.  Now, I have 2 problem sets for Physics due tomorrow night  that typically take about 10 hours each to do.  And  I have a quiz tomorrow and a make up.  And I can't comprehend what I did last night.  And I have a ton of stuff to do for Anatomy - missed a quiz and a class and have no idea if  have another quiz on Tuesday morning.  I just want to go eat a box of cookies and watch Netflix.  

Oh, and I need to go grocery shopping before snowmageddon hits this afternoon and do laundry today.  Dh would normally help (or flat out do) those things, but he is on restricted activity (can't lift anything) and is really feeling the bruising from the compression bandage from his bleeding episode after the angioplasty.  

This stress has really jump-started my seasonal affective disorder.  I am exhausted and my brain is foggy.  

On a good note, dd just Snapchatted me  "You got this, Mom!"  Made my day and gave me some motivation.  

• Like 2

OMG Ethel, hugs and best wishes. I hope he is recovering well. Will the prof give you some leeway on due dates? I should think this definitely qualifies.

As for me, I turned in the project, and last week did the peer reviews. I"ve been pretty lazy over Thanksgiving, but after the whirlwind, I needed it. I have one more book to read, and a final paper. And, as Sassenach said, the thought of the winter break makes me giddy too 🙂

Well after talking to an actual advisor instead of winging it, I’m signed up for classes to earn a second BA in psych. I don’t need to retake psych 101 and a few other classes I took the first time so I might be able to graduate in 3 semesters.

im also putting my 3rd graders in school. It’s going to be a wild ride!

• Like 3

Wow Ellen, I forgot you were taking classes when you posted about your dh's heart attack.  That is a lot to deal with.    I hope you're able to hang in there.

Amber-  how exciting to be almost done.  I have a meeting with my advisor tomorrow.  I think I still have quite a ways to go since I'm taking the turtle route.  🙂

Coming into the last few weeks of school.  My class has turned out quite well.  The prof. is very engaging and I've learned a lot.  The class has been relatively stress free (yay).  She does a lot of hand-holding and gives out lots of extra-credit opportunities.  I will admit that I do sometimes do the rolley-eye at all the extra help... but it's so nice to to be taking a 100 level class. 

On 11/25/2018 at 11:46 AM, dirty ethel rackham said:

I was doing great until dh's mild heart attack last weekend.  Now, I have 2 problem sets for Physics due tomorrow night  that typically take about 10 hours each to do.  And  I have a quiz tomorrow and a make up.  And I can't comprehend what I did last night.  And I have a ton of stuff to do for Anatomy - missed a quiz and a class and have no idea if  have another quiz on Tuesday morning.  I just want to go eat a box of cookies and watch Netflix.  

Oh, and I need to go grocery shopping before snowmageddon hits this afternoon and do laundry today.  Dh would normally help (or flat out do) those things, but he is on restricted activity (can't lift anything) and is really feeling the bruising from the compression bandage from his bleeding episode after the angioplasty.  

This stress has really jump-started my seasonal affective disorder.  I am exhausted and my brain is foggy.  

On a good note, dd just Snapchatted me  "You got this, Mom!"  Made my day and gave me some motivation.  

Hang in there! I hope he’s on the mend and life is settling down for you.

• Thanks 1

well, i just turned in the last thing for my online class. The final project isn't due till next week - we have this week and next to do any revisions we want, but I sent it in yesterday. Today, I did the last discussion posts and that is it! I have one more book to read, and  final paper for the independent study to finish it out.

• Like 1

I'm done in 2 weeks and I am feeling the pressure.  Dh is doing much better and is back at work.  No noticeable cardiac muscle damage (which is good) but recovering from the stent procedures.  But the stress has fried my brain.  I had 2 quizzes tonight for physics (one was a makeup quiz) and I did not do well on either of them.  I had a better than 100% average (due to extra credit) going into tonight, but I feel like I will be limping to the finish line.  

I have 2 quizzes tomorrow for anatomy and I am struggling to learn renal physiology.  I missed a lecture and the book is incomprehensible.  Not finding too many med-school videos on this to help out with osmolarity in the nephrons.

• Like 1

I turned in two significant projects on Wednesday evening, a day before they were actually due. It's a little unclear (as is everything in that class), but I think those may be the last assignments for that one. There is another module listed on the syllabus, with its projects referred to in other places, but we've been told that it will be optional. And so far, the module hasn't been unlocked for us to even look at the contents. I'm a bit nervous about these two projects, because the instructions were so unclear, but my current average in that class is a little above 99%, so I have a bit of wiggle room.

In the other class, in which our grade is based entirely on four group projects, my team did very well on the first two, has one that we turned in about 10 days ago that hasn't yet been graded and needs to submit the last one on Sunday evening. By my calculations, as long as we average at least 85% on both of these last two projects, we will all still walk away with A's.

I'm not any more enthusiastic about the professors than I have been all semester, but the actual work (especially in the first class, about creating multimedia educational materials) has been engaging. And it's pretty cool feeling like a "good student" again at this stage of my life.

I'm registered for two more classes next semester, one of which sounds more interesting than the other. After that, I just have one more class to finish the certificate. I'm hoping that one will be offered over the summer, but the catalogue lists it as "occasional," so who knows?

• Like 2