Menu

John McCain stopping treatment

Lady Florida.

I saw the reports about it all day today, and it makes me so sad, both for him and for his family because they seem so close. 

I knew all along that the odds were stacked against him, but I never counted him out because he has been through so much in his life and has proven himself to be such a fighter and survivor.

I may not have agreed with all of his political positions, but he seems like such a kind, decent, and honorable family man, and I’m so sorry he won’t be able to recover.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I may not have agreed with all of his political positions, but he seems like such a kind, decent, and honorable family man, and I’m so sorry he won’t be able to recover.

I agree. We don't have to agree on everything to be respectful of others and he was respectful. 

?

• Like 3

He lived through some horrendous things in Vietnam and showed a tremendous amount of courage. While I have not agreed with everything he proposed he certainly has served his country in one or another capacity for most of his life. BIL had glioblastoma and one year survival is about what he had with treatment. I hope Senator McCain is at peace and it sounds like surrounded by his family with love and support.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Sad 4

I am so raw just reading this and thinking about John McCain's battle, his courage, and the horrid brutality of this cancer. My family has followed his journey daily since my beloved dad was diagnosed with glioblastoma at the end of March (and passed on July 11th). My sister texted me yesterday morning with the news about Senator McCain, and I haven't been able to get him and his family out of my thoughts since then. I pray that his final days/weeks are as peaceful and gentle and pain-free as possible. I pray that he is alert enough to express and receive love to the very end. I pray that he will be able to find closure with anything he needs to find closure with. And above all, I pray that he does not suffer any more. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

8 hours ago, Liz CA said:

While I have not agreed with everything he proposed he certainly has served his country in one or another capacity for most of his life. 

This is why I had so much respect for him (most of the time - I confess to getting really upset at some things he did but usually that was when he did something that seemed out of character for him). He was a true statesman, he spent his adult life in service to his country, and respected those who differed with him.

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

RIP to Senator McCain. Just read that he passed away a short time ago. He and his family will be in my prayers tonight. 

I was surprised it was so soon. I had been watching streaming shows all night, so no live tv. I just went to do a quick facebook check and saw the news.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

I was hoping he would have more time after stopping treatment. He was an honorable man and will be missed. ?

With his death coming so soon after the announcement I wonder if he had stopped treatment a while ago and the family only made it public on Friday.

• Like 5

When the family announced on Friday, I thought it would be very soon.  I took their news as they have stopped trying to keep him alive since I do not think they were treating his cancer for quite a number of months-- basically it was untreatable. 

Again, I also did not agree with him on many things but RIP.  I told my daughter that at least he has no more pain- the pain he suffered while a POW, the pain with the Melanoma, the pain with the glioblostama.   And I am very please I haven't seen a single snarky response to his death.

• Like 2

My Facebook post today:

John McCain was my senator for most of my life. He and I disagreed on some things and I didn't always vote for him, but he'll always have my hard won respect as a politician who wasn't blinded by party loyalty and as a human being so selfless and honorable that he refused an opportunity to leave his brothers in arms in that POW camp where all of them were tortured for years. Great men are in short supply and we're down one more. I wish his family love and comfort as they go on without him.

Goodbye, Senator McCain.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

My Facebook post today:

John McCain was my senator for most of my life. He and I disagreed on some things and I didn't always vote for him, but he'll always have my hard won respect as a politician who wasn't blinded by party loyalty and as a human being so selfless and honorable that he refused an opportunity to leave his brothers in arms in that POW camp where all of them were tortured for years. Great men are in short supply and we're down one more. I wish his family love and comfort as they go on without him.

Goodbye, Senator McCain.

Great man indeed.  I've been hearing this voice, whispering at my senses all day:

When great trees fall,
rocks on distant hills shudder,
lions hunker down
in tall grasses,
and even elephants
lumber after safety.

When great trees fall
in forests,
small things recoil into silence,
their senses
eroded beyond fear.

When great souls die,
the air around us becomes
light, rare, sterile.
We breathe, briefly.
Our eyes, briefly,
see with
a hurtful clarity.
Our memory, suddenly sharpened,
examines,
gnaws on kind words
unsaid,
promised walks
never taken.

Great souls die and
our reality, bound to
them, takes leave of us.
Our souls,
dependent upon their
nurture,
now shrink, wizened.
Our minds, formed
and informed by their
radiance,
fall away.
We are not so much maddened
as reduced to the unutterable ignorance
of dark, cold
caves.

And when great souls die,
after a period peace blooms,
slowly and always
irregularly. Spaces fill
with a kind of
soothing electric vibration.
Our senses, restored, never
to be the same, whisper to us.
They existed. They existed.
We can be. Be and be
better. For they existed. 

Maya Angelou

A great tree has fallen.   

RIP, Sailor, Senator, fellow countryman and fellow patriot.  Thank you for a life of service, well lived.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

With his death coming so soon after the announcement I wonder if he had stopped treatment a while ago and the family only made it public on Friday.

I wondered the same thing. It would have afforded them a lot of privacy. 

• Like 2