Menu

The Baby Cow Teachers Lounge 8-24-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all! Despite just beginning to wake up and just beginning my caffeine input for the morning,
I at least remembered to open the Lounge. Until . . . I got distracted by and caught up in reading fairfarmhand's post
about her Jersey cow having a huge udder due to expecting a wee calf any time now. Turns out that "wee" calf when finally 
born was around 75-80 pounds! ? The point is, that is why the Teachers Lounge them today has to do with cows! ?

Any of you grow up on a farm? Here: nope, but they were not too far away. My stepdad, who wasn't my stepdad while I was growing up,
had horses and our families would often go camping and trail riding together. GREAT memories! I've often thought it might be fun to have goats
and chickens. But right now, I'm more interested in convincing my family to sell everything, buy and RV and a capable truck, and hit the road!

Did your parents grow up on a farm? Here: mom, no; dad, yes. Dad's family was poor enough that he and his brothers would go out and shoot sparrow
to bring home to cook for dinner.

Anyone ever been to a dude ranch? Here: we've thought about it. I think my husband and I would need to be in much better shape before we do something like that, though!
One thing on my 'bucket list' is to go on a cattle drive!

Talk to me! ?

• Like 3

My mom grew up on a farm until she was about 8, then her parents moved into the 'burbs. I did live rural for a few years growing up, but not on a farm. Loads of small family farms and hobby farms here. Fairfarmhand lives a little over an hour from me. We've never met irl, though.  We shop as much as our budget will permit from local farms - meat, poultry, eggs, honey, CSA plus other fruit and veggies. Sometimes soap and other non-food items. Backyard chickens are common here and we are taking care of a neighbor's this weekend. 

Never been to a dude ranch, though I think it would be fun. Our vacations are of a more limited nature: within a day's drive and inexpensive!

• Like 2

Neither my dh nor myself ever lived on farms till we made our own. 

My great grandddad owned a dairy so one grandparent was a farm person. However my grandmother did grow up rural and had quite a green thumb, so growing things is in my dna is suppose. 

No dude ranch and no desire to do so. I don’t like riding horses. 

I would like to do a farm vacation at a dairy in Ireland or Scotland at some point. 

• Like 1

I grew up in an suburban apartment, no where near a farm.   Dh grew up in suburbia too.  I wanted to be a farm veterinarian until after my first 3 semesters in college.  I had to take a break due to funds and took a good look at how long vet school would take going part time.  Switched to Biology/Environmental Science.

My mother grew up in Jersey City, so nope no farm.  Dad didn't grow up on a farm either but they had a chicken coop in their semi-rural backyard.

Never been to a dude ranch.  I've been horse back riding.  Actual trail riding, not just led around a ring.  But it's been a lot of years.

• Like 1

I grew up on a farm. We had cattle, pigs, goats, horses, chicken, geese, ducks...On one hand, it was wonderful because I have always loved animals so much. On the other hand, it was difficult because I would get attached to the animals and then they would get butchered. I stopped eating meat at a young age.

Now, I live on a horse farm. I would love to get goats or maybe a pig or two, but my hands are so full with my horses. Maybe someday...??

I’ve never been on a dude ranch vacation, but it sounds like so much fun. I love riding horses anytime, anywhere. ?

• Like 1

Good afternoon, Scrap!

I didn't grow up on an actual farm, but my dad did some farming through renting other people's land. The only animals we had were a couple of pigs one time that Daddy raised for the meat. He did a lot of crop farming, wheat, soybeans, and tobacco. I helped in the fields with all of that. After I left home and he retired, he did some truck farming, selling corn, okra, watermelons and such to people and the local grocery stores. 

Daddy grew up on a farm, but my mom didn't. He was in Future Farmer's of America in high school and always wanted to farm more than he did. He worked on the railroad for most of his life. Dh didn't grow up around any farming. 

Nope, we've never been to a dude ranch. 

• Like 1

I grew up rural but not on a farm; now the area is pretty solid suburbia. My parents' particular neighborhood/area has a lot of acre plots and horses still, but it isn't the same. I did do a lot of horseback riding as a kid though, and I'd say at least a quarter of my friends had horses. The people who owned my parents house before them had room for goats, chickens and rabbits. I got locked in the chicken coop a few times as a kid, lol, and the bridge they had built for the goats was a highlight of playtime. 

No dude ranch aspirations here. ? 

It's already 3:30 here and I haven't gotten half of what I wanted done today. I talked to a lady at Starbucks for much too long (see my other post), then I've been sitting here randomly jumping from websites and texts and videos (Star Trek binging). This is my only chance to get stuff done without the kids, but now all I'm thinking about is riding horses again, lol.

Hi.  Just wanted to say that I'm not a part of your lounge except to say that I find many of your titles for the lounge cute and the title of this current one is no except.  Love it! ?

With that said, no, I did not grow up on a farm but I'm native to Ohio (born and raised there until I married) and Ohio is much country and farms.  So pretty to look at when taking a drive.

Would LOVE to own horses (1-2), sheep, cows and well, a lot of others (chickens, etc). but we're in the city and probably would not go that route if for no other reason than the upkeep of livestock (time consuming).  

And, I've been researching dude/working "vacation" ranches off and on for a while now and need to get back to that.  We'd all like to do that!  

I did a mix.  Early childhood was a huge working farm that was the family income.  Then we moved to town so my older siblings could get jobs and education.  Dad still travelled back and forward keeping the farm running but working toward selling up.  From around 10 onwards we had a hobby farm in easy reach of town.  

Now we have an even smaller hobby farm.  Sheep and chickens and a few pets.  Horses not in the budget sadly.