Menu

College Spreadsheets

brehon

I know many of you have recommended setting up something like this for choosing colleges (comparing various metrics, fin aid, whatever else might have been important to your kids). I also know this should be easy, but I’m shoulder deep in two major projects at work (in addition to my regular duties) and ds needs some help with this. Would anyone be willing to share what went into your kid’s college matrix? Ds will be a junior; so, although we’ve been looking at various universities and have talked about various issues (especially cost!) and done some comparisons, we’re beginning serious work. 

Thanks!

I feel utterly unprepared for this. 

Here are the columns of info from my spreadsheet. YMMV as far as what to include .

College name, setting (rural, suburban, city), retention rate, sport (do they have what my dc are interested in and at what level: varsity, club, intramural), tuition, acceptance rate, avg SAT, ACT, GPA, misc info (I include different majors--dd had a few she was interested in; ds wants engineering so I list which engineering majors, internship/coop info, niche grades, special programs--anything unique or interesting to that particular school, like great food or heavy Greek or required Capstone, potential for merit, etc. I'm interested to hear what others might include that we might be missing, so I'm following ?

• Thanks 1

Our college spreadsheet focuses on what is important to both student and parent. In addition, our spreadsheet is started early on and then evolves (adds and subtracts colleges and required information). We include much of what is previously mentions and columns for diversity (gender and racial), financials (endowment, tuition, room and board, results of aid generator, need blind, and full financial need), first year retention, 4 year grad rate, reside on campus, religious affliation, calendar, ACT and application requirements including application, scholarship, and notification dates, and concludes with the additional application information (essay topics, resumes, and references). 

• Thanks 1

For ds2 what worked better than a spreadsheet was just a big document.

It had info on major, course requirements, AP and transfer credit policy, policy on minors or double majors.

I just copy pasted info from the websites and included the link. I found that some of the info (like course plans) took some digging to find so I didn't want to just summarize.

• Thanks 1

My kid decided on his own what went on his (I am not a spreadsheet person; he is). He's got average SAT, admission rate, whether being male gives him an advantage or disadvantage :), location, whether they consider demonstrated interest or location, whether we have a visit scheduled, any special application requirements for homeschoolers, whether they require subject tests or the SAT w/essay, need blind or need aware, net price on the NPC, and he's adding a column now for application deadlines.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all! I thought of some of the suggestions and now have more to add. 

Sebastian, I agree. We’re creating a spreadsheet for quick comparison and ds has a word doc he keeps more detailed information. 

JoJosMom, I’m kinda embarrassed to write that I didn’t even consider looking on the interwebs for a template. (? <—rolled at myself) If you have some examples that you especially liked, I’d be grateful for some links. 

I did make a couple spreadsheets.  One was for tracking deadlines and documents.  Were I doing this again I would include the tracking numbers for any priority mail shipments (ie hard copy transcript packages).

I had another one in which I tracked the costs.  I had fields for tuition, room & boars, and then any merit aid, scholarships, and money related to GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon funding.

We live far from any school so I didn't include travel costs.  I will probably add that when I do ds3.  

• Thanks 1