Menu

Question on Continuing Studies credit as high school credit?

DS13 is interested in two math and two physics online classes that is under Continuing Studies. How does that translate to high school credits? He has a math credit for 9th grade from the AP statistics class he took in summer but he doesn’t has a science credit for 9th grade yet. He is already enrolled in the multivariable differential calculus class and I am okay with putting that under extracurricular/hobbies if it doesn’t count for high school credit. 

“Course Credit: All courses carry three units of Stanford University Continuing Studies credit. Transcript Eligible.” https://ulo.stanford.edu/dates-and-tuition-ulo

One opinion here.  This "continuing studies" course is part of Stanford's PreCollege programs based on the link your shared. It's designed for advanced "high school" (aka pre college) with courses not typically offered in high school. Given that information, in my state, (which is not CA) it would count for high school if a high school student took it.  Maybe there are some of those CA things to say otherwise with all of the rules out there.  But I'm in another state and one 3 credit college course would translate to 1 high school credit.   The term continuing studies has little to do with it in my opinion.  The course is designed for those in "pre college" years according to the link you shared.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stanford's PreCollege university level courses in math and physics have been around for a while,  but they used to part of their EPGY online program. It was standard to give one credit per course back then.  Dd was even able to transfer those EPGY credits to her undergrad transcript when she attended Stanford.

I would definitely count them as math, not extracurriculars, on his transcript.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cbollin said:

Maybe there are some of those CA things to say otherwise with all of the rules out there.  But I'm in another state and one 3 credit college course would translate to 1 high school credit.   

12 hours ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

It was standard to give one credit per course back then.  Dd was even able to transfer those EPGY credits to her undergrad transcript when she attended Stanford.

Thanks. He has satisfied the minimum math requirements for California state universities with his AP Calculus BC exam in 7th and his AP Statistics course in summer (taking the exam in May 2019). He just needs at least a math credit per year of high school to not look complacent especially when he intends to tentatively double major in math and computer science, and squeeze in theoretical physics somewhere. I was thinking to count two courses to one high school credit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arcadia, thank you for bringing up this discussion. 

Kathy, cbollin and others,

I am also interested in the courses offered by Standford Pre-Collegiate Studies (SPCS). We don't live in CA and I understand that the credits granted by SPCS may or may not be honored by other colleges. How do you compare these math & physics courses with auditing university courses locally? What are the pros and cons? 

Thank you,

Sri

Well, for us SPCS was time efficient and rigorous. I taught university math in my past life, and I thought that their teaching,  problem sets and take home tests were both challenging and fair. Dd was involved in a lot of activities, which would have made commuting to a local college for a math course just too time intensive. And I doubt the local college courses would have been any better. Even though she's an extravert, dd liked to get her school work done efficiently. She had more than enough people time in her many extracurricular activities

Kathy,

I appreciate your feedback.

We were leaning toward SCPS to save time since, it is quite a drive for us to go to our local university. But a semester of the Classical Dynamics class at the local university is equivalent to 2 semesters of Intermediate Mechanics in SCPS. So, we are choosing the local university class. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Sri

• 2 years later...
On 8/22/2018 at 3:46 PM, Arcadia said:

DS13 is interested in two math and two physics online classes that is under Continuing Studies. How does that translate to high school credits? He has a math credit for 9th grade from the AP statistics class he took in summer but he doesn’t has a science credit for 9th grade yet. He is already enrolled in the multivariable differential calculus class and I am okay with putting that under extracurricular/hobbies if it doesn’t count for high school credit. 

“Course Credit: All courses carry three units of Stanford University Continuing Studies credit. Transcript Eligible.” https://ulo.stanford.edu/dates-and-tuition-ulo

Old thread alert!

Arcadia- did your ds end up using these courses? ETA- I probably should start a new thread.

Edited by MamaSprout

6 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Old thread alert!

Arcadia- did your ds end up using these courses? ETA- I probably should start a new thread.

He did two math and one physics class. He didn’t use those for credits. He is using dual enrollment math for math credits and he has AP environmental science as his 3rd science. 

ETA:

DE is free for us if its less than 12 credits per quarter. Both my boys are taking 3 DE classes so we pay about $500 per quarter for each child.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Just now, MamaSprout said:

Are these classes interactive at all?

No. Which was why DS16 switch to dual enrollment after that. The math lecturer is good and has a weekly lecture but that’s the only interaction. There was only 3 students when he took the physics class. Also the exams need to be proctored so we used a nearby state university’s proctoring services. 

• Like 1