Menu

I am so angry! DD ER Experience Last Night

goldberry

DD19 had a rollover car accident last December.  The doctors said she was okay, but if she had any numbness or tingling she should followup with a doctor because she might have "nerve damage".  DD is a total drama girl and gets easily worked up over things.  The phrase "nerve damage" freaked her out.  At various times over the summer she would come to me pointing at a finger or two and say, this feels kind of numb and tingly, do you think it's nerve damage?  I asked her a few times if she wanted to see the chiropractor, but she was too busy.

She went back to college last Thursday.  She gets very stressed and anxious, she knows this is a problem. Yesterday, day 2 of school, she is laying in bed when she calls me to say her legs just started cramping and spasming while she was laying there.  When she stood up, her legs hurt so bad she could hardly stand, and the pain is going into her lower back.  DD is not a very active girl and has been walking all over campus the last several days.  DH thinks probably her legs are tightened up because of it.  But her roommate says "you need to go to the hospital!"  I am trying to calm DD down, get her to walk around to loosen up, or sit down and stretch.  But she is AFRAID!  THIS COULD BE THE NERVE DAMAGE!  She agrees to go to the campus clinic.  Campus clinic doctor tells her to go to the ER because it could be a burst disk.  (Seemed unlikely to me because she was laying in bed, but okay, I'm not there, go to the hospital and get it checked.)

Friend takes her to ER.  She tells ER doc about car accident, about "numbness and tingling" over the summer.  ER doc says they will do an MRI to check for a burst disk (which is probably appropriate at this point).  But before even doing the MRI, the ER doc tells her "If the MRI shows nothing, you need to followup with a doctor, because it could be MS."

WHAT. THE. HELL.  MS?  She suggests this to my daughter after 15 minutes in the ER?  My daughter who is already anxiety prone and borderline hypochondriac?  Daughter has the MRI.  It shows nothing.  Before leaving ER doc goes off again, saying please follow up with an appointment.  Do not dismiss this possibility of MS.  This is serious.

There are not enough emoticons to say how angry I am.  

Oh, also, she has had tummy troubles for years due to gluten intolerance and just eating crappy.  When she eats well, it goes away.  But somehow the tummy troubles have become an MS symptom.

Edited by goldberry

I'm sorry this happened.  You didn't post RANT or JAWM, so you might want to change your title if you only want support.

The doctor is covering themselves from liability. From a nursing perspective, doctor is correct, late teens and early 20's is a common time for MS and other autoimmune issues to reveal itself in young women. Depending on how much distress DD was in, it would have been poor practice and/or blatant sexism to dismiss it as simply anxiety and/or hypochondria. Especially with a supportive friend there backing up that this is unusual for her. If it is MS, getting treatment right away can delay complications.  Having said that, if your insurance covers chiropractors, I'd look online for local recommendations and send her to one, because I bet it's sciatica and an adjustment and some hip stretches could make a big difference.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'm sorry this happened.  You didn't post RANT or JAWM, so you might want to change your title if you only want support.

The doctor is covering themselves from liability. From a nursing perspective, doctor is correct, late teens and early 20's is a common time for MS and other autoimmune issues to reveal itself in young women. Depending on how much distress DD was in, it would have been poor practice and/or blatant sexism to dismiss it as simply anxiety and/or hypochondria. Especially with a supportive friend there backing up that this is unusual for her. If it is MS, getting treatment right away can delay complications.  Having said that, if your insurance covers chiropractors, I'd look online for local recommendations and send her to one, because I bet it's sciatica and an adjustment and some hip stretches could make a big difference.

I have no problem with them recommending follow up for further investigation.  I have a problem with them throwing out a specific diagnosis, especially before she even sees the MRI results.  I consider that to be medically irresponsible.  

I have a friend who had some very serious issues and medical mystery stuff.  She said her doctors were uber-careful not to throw out possibilities or speculation without hard evidence.  There are reasons for that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

Having said that, if your insurance covers chiropractors, I'd look online for local recommendations and send her to one, because I bet it's sciatica and an adjustment and some hip stretches could make a big difference.

But the doctor also told her, "Whatever you do, please, please, please DON'T go to a chiropractor!" ?  I know that's not uncommon among doctors, but it added to the annoyance.

Just now, goldberry said:

I have no problem with them recommending follow up for further investigation.  I have a problem with them throwing out a specific diagnosis, especially before she even sees the MRI results.  I consider that to be medically irresponsible.  

I have a friend who had some very serious issues and medical mystery stuff.  She said her doctors were uber-careful not to throw out possibilities or speculation without hard evidence.  There are reasons for that.

The way a doctor speaks to a college student is likely to be much different than the way they speak to an adult with medical mysteries, because college aged kids tend more towards thinking they are invincible and dismissing everything, even serious things, than they do hypochondria. And we don't know for sure that DD hadn't been googling symptoms on her own and mentioned MS, especially because she came in self-diagnosed with nerve damage. If she didn't seem particularly anxious, more deeply concerned about new symptoms, it's not unusual for doctors to be very matter of fact, and even to suggest testing options up to patients and let them decide.  I've had many medical mysteries and IME once doctors figure out that you're somewhat knowledgeable and educated on a topic they tend to act more like this than, "It could be nothing," which could be malpractice. Also, female ER doctors take complaints from women more seriously than male doctors do.  For example, if you go into an ER with symptoms of a heart attack, as a woman you are much more likely to survive with a female doctor than a male doctor. I know you're used to her being treated like a child, or even think it's better to shield her from the different scenarios, but she's not a child and she has a right to know the possibilities.

• Like 6

I totally agree with Katy.  When people show up in the ER, they have to take it seriously.  When people are saying they have tinging and can't walk, it's not at all surprising that they would suggest follow up.   I don't disagree that he shouldn't have thrown out specific diagnosis, but sometimes young adults are at the opposite end of the spectrum and don't take follow up seriously.  Maybe this particular doctor had a young patient not follow up.   Someone without anxiety wouldn't be thrown off balance by coming across a single doctor in the ER who had a poor bedside matter.

Gently, if anxiety affects your daughter's life this deeply, I hope she is getting treatment.  Ongoing stomach issues/IBS can be the result of stress/anxiety as well and I say this as someone with experience.   This seems more like an anxiety issue than an ER doc issue.  Someone without anxiety upon getting that lecture would eye roll at that suggestion and do their follow up without an issue and visit a chiro too if that's something that works well for them.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, goldberry said:

But the doctor also told her, "Whatever you do, please, please, please DON'T go to a chiropractor!" ?  I know that's not uncommon among doctors, but it added to the annoyance.

Well, there are different chiropractic schools.  Some are quacks who claim they can cure everything by emptying your wallet with 3x a week adjustments and selling crap like shoe inserts and telling her she has one leg longer than the other. That is the type she needs to avoid.  They frequently tend to be trained by Palmer, and you will see that term in their ads. They also scam patients with x-rays - by forcing them to stand in unnatural neck positions and then claiming that unnatural position in the x-ray is a sign of impending doom. Those people also tend to do frequent neck adjustments that can CAUSE strokes in young women. If that's happened multiple times in this doctor's career of course she is cautious, and her warning might be quite sincere.

Others will take a commonsense approach, find a trouble spot in the muscles that prove it's sciatica rather than something else, tell her her hips are too tight, schedule 3 adjustments of her hips only to relieve the trouble now, and teach her some stretches so she can prevent this in the future, and tell her she only needs to come back if/when she has symptoms again.  That is the kind you want to find.  Also, DD should refuse neck adjustments unless her neck is so painful she doesn't care about stroke risk.

Re nerve damage, she's past the window where that would appear. It would have happened in less than 6 weeks, and probably in less than 10 days. And if it had, there wouldn't be much to do except physical therapy to try and regain some of her function.

One other possibility that comes to mind is - has she had a flu shot recently?  A bad reaction to a flu shot can cause numbness, tingling, and a sensation of water running down the legs. That also tends to appear within 10 days.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, goldberry said:

DD19 had a rollover car accident last December.  The doctors said she was okay, but if she had any numbness or tingling she should followup with a doctor because she might have "nerve damage". DD is a total drama girl and gets easily worked up over things.   The phrase "nerve damage" freaked her out.  At various times over the summer she would come to me pointing at a finger or two and say, this feels kind of numb and tingly, do you think it's nerve damage?  I asked her a few times if she wanted to see the chiropractor, but she was too busy.

She went back to college last Thursday.  She gets very stressed and anxious, she knows this is a problem. Yesterday, day 2 of school, she is laying in bed when she calls me to say her legs just started cramping and spasming while she was laying there.  When she stood up, her legs hurt so bad she could hardly stand, and the pain is going into her lower back.  DD is not a very active girl and has been walking all over campus the last several days.  DH thinks probably her legs are tightened up because of it.  But her roommate says "you need to go to the hospital!"  I am trying to calm DD down, get her to walk around to loosen up, or sit down and stretch.  But she is AFRAID!  THIS COULD BE THE NERVE DAMAGE!  She agrees to go to the campus clinic.  Campus clinic doctor tells her to go to the ER because it could be a burst disk.  (Seemed unlikely to me because she was laying in bed, but okay, I'm not there, go to the hospital and get it checked.)

Friend takes her to ER.  She tells ER doc about car accident, about "numbness and tingling" over the summer.  ER doc says they will do an MRI to check for a burst disk (which is probably appropriate at this point).  But before even doing the MRI, the ER doc tells her "If the MRI shows nothing, you need to followup with a doctor, because it could be MS."

WHAT. THE. HELL.  MS?  She suggests this to my daughter after 15 minutes in the ER?  My daughter who is already anxiety prone and borderline hypochondriac?  Daughter has the MRI.  It shows nothing.  Before leaving ER doc goes off again, saying please follow up with an appointment.  Do not dismiss this possibility of MS.  This is serious.

There are not enough emoticons to say how angry I am.  

Oh, also, she has had tummy troubles for years due to gluten intolerance and just eating crappy.  When she eats well, it goes away.  But somehow the tummy troubles have become an MS symptom.

I would suggest magnesium and calcium for the leg cramping.   walking all over campus for someone who wasn't previously active, can really take it out of you. - it can cause the types of leg cramps you describe. - and few drs will ever tell you that, but this is our first-hand experience speaking.

if she was so concerned about the numbness and tingling - you were right to suggest she see a chiropractor, but the numbness and tingling didn't concern her enough to make the time to do so.   or an orthopod.  either would have been able to do much more than an ER doc for that.

tbh - you yourself said  

DD is a total drama girl and gets easily worked up over things. 

.  she was probably doing that with the ER doc, who has a very short time to be able to make any sort of judgment call. I doubt she told the doc she skips meals and eating made her stomach feel better. Or that she is "very stressed" -more so than her peers, (which can cause stomach discomfort), only that it hurt.  eating will make just about anyone's stomach feel better.  drs assume you are eating regularly - unless you tell them otherwise.    some patients very much gloss over severity of symptoms   - some get hysterical about very minor things.  the dr doesn't know your dd, and doesn't know which sort of patient she is.   I would also assume this was a newer doc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katy said:

Well, there are different chiropractic schools.  Some are quacks who claim they can cure everything by emptying your wallet with 3x a week adjustments and selling crap like shoe inserts and telling her she has one leg longer than the other. That is the type she needs to avoid.  They frequently tend to be trained by Palmer, and you will see that term in their ads. They also scam patients with x-rays - by forcing them to stand in unnatural neck positions and then claiming that unnatural position in the x-ray is a sign of impending doom. Those people also tend to do frequent neck adjustments that can CAUSE strokes in young women. If that's happened multiple times in this doctor's career of course she is cautious, and her warning might be quite sincere.

Others will take a commonsense approach, find a trouble spot in the muscles that prove it's sciatica rather than something else, tell her her hips are too tight, schedule 3 adjustments of her hips only to relieve the trouble now, and teach her some stretches so she can prevent this in the future, and tell her she only needs to come back if/when she has symptoms again.  That is the kind you want to find.  Also, DD should refuse neck adjustments unless her neck is so painful she doesn't care about stroke risk.

Re nerve damage, she's past the window where that would appear. It would have happened in less than 6 weeks, and probably in less than 10 days. And if it had, there wouldn't be much to do except physical therapy to try and regain some of her function.

One other possibility that comes to mind is - has she had a flu shot recently?  A bad reaction to a flu shot can cause numbness, tingling, and a sensation of water running down the legs. That also tends to appear within 10 days.

We have a long history with chiropractors and know what to look for.  I know there are bad ones out there.  No flu shots.  And her legs were in pain, not weakness, tingling, or numbness.  She had a bit of that in her hands over the summer, but her legs she described as "spasming and very painful."  Also totally below the waist.  She can sit and bend over without pain, although yesterday at first she said it was going "up in to her back". So not down from her back to her legs, but upward.  Also, both legs, not one side or the other.

18 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Gently, if anxiety affects your daughter's life this deeply, I hope she is getting treatment.  Ongoing stomach issues/IBS can be the result of stress/anxiety as well and I say this as someone with experience.   This seems more like an anxiety issue than an ER doc issue.  Someone without anxiety upon getting that lecture would eye roll at that suggestion and do their follow up without an issue and visit a chiro too if that's something that works well for them.

She is seeing someone and is on medication.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, goldberry said:

We have a long history with chiropractors and know what to look for.  I know there are bad ones out there.  No flu shots.  And her legs were in pain, not weakness, tingling, or numbness.  She had a bit of that in her hands over the summer, but her legs she described as "spasming and very painful."  Also totally below the waist.  She can sit and bend over without pain, although yesterday at first she said it was going "up in to her back". So not down from her back to her legs, but upward.  Also, both legs, not one side or the other.

Ahh, yes, I'd say she needs magnesium or an epsom salt lotion, some advil for muscle pain, and some gatorade or powerade to get her electrolytes up.  She should avoid or limit caffeine until the pain is gone.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, goldberry said:

there are good and bad in every kind of service providers.   I had an MD who nearly killed me. (I know some other's who had terrible experiences with him too.)

what you describe sounds more like a vertebra out of alignment - or at least I'd check that first.

spasming and painful could also be lack of minerals, especially after becoming very active again. 

I recently had some health stuff going on (with muscle spasms, and almost convulsions) that left my ND perplexed (but, making some suggestions) and I fear and tremble what a MD would have done.  probably lots of expensive testing and "finding nothing".  I cut back slightly on two RX (not suggested), and added electrolytes (after feeling so much better after downing 2L of coconut water -nuun and potassium are cheaper) and a rec'd complete mineral sup.  I'm feeling better than I have in months. 

and make sure she's hydrated.  the body is such a complex vat of chemical interactions.

there are also deficiencies that can cause numbness and tingling. - skipping meals can lead to poor nutrition.  nutrition is something MDs aren't trained in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Katy said:

Ahh, yes, I'd say she needs magnesium or an epsom salt lotion, some advil for muscle pain, and some gatorade or powerade to get her electrolytes up.  She should avoid or limit caffeine until the pain is gone.

I would avoid gatorade/powerade.  I recently have gone through some severe electrolye imbalances.  they didn't help me.  coconut water (has more potassium than a banana.) or nuun with an addition of 500mg of potassium was far more effective in getting them back into balance.

I buy nuun off amazon in a box of four tubes - because it's cheaper than the grocery store.

• Like 1

While I agree that the ER doc had to take it seriously, I also think it was not right to tell her it could be MS.  Just refer her back to a regular doctor to start being evaluated for other issues.

and ((((hugs)))))) I have a dd very much like that.  She does have fibromyalgia, and has a good doctor near her college. He has been terrific.  Someone who listens, is patient, and can redirect. 

With my dd, I tell her sorry that she's hurting. I then recommend NSAIDs and ice or heat and a little extra sleep.  

And I recommend a good massage therapist over a chiropractor.  Just my 2cents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

I've heard similar so many times from people who think western medicine is the be-all and end-all . . . . it's not at all uncommon for a western med proponent (doesn't even have to be a health-care provider) to completely disparage alternative medicine.

that would only get a giant eye-roll from me.  and another reason I'd think this was a young/new and still uptight dr.

(I think they both have their place.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim in Appalachia said:

While I agree that the ER doc had to take it seriously, I also think it was not right to tell her it could be MS.  Just refer her back to a regular doctor to start being evaluated for other issues. 

And I recommend a good massage therapist over a chiropractor.  Just my 2cents. 

It was good to say something for two reasons -

1. MOST college students think they're invincible and blow things off.  after an incident with ds that got him referred to a specialist, we found out things that used to be associated with middle age, are showing up in 20somethings.  20 somethings blow stuff off, and by the time they're diagnosed it progressed, and can be too late for a positive outcome.  sometimes scarring them will get them to actually go to a follow-up.  I still think it was a new dr. as opposed to an experienced one.

2.  those were the symptoms she gave the ER dr.  that doesn't mean she'd give the same symptoms to a follow-up dr.

after doing shiatsu - i won't do "massages' anymore.  a good deep tissue general all over massage would be preferable to a "spot" massage.  for the body circulatory system - massage should be done in balance, and never in a "spot".

eta: again - some patients are blow stuff off, and some are dramatic.  drs dont' always know which is which.

Edited by gardenmom5

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Sorry, but they did the right thing having her go for an MS follow up, based on the information she gave.  

I’m sure it is frustrating, but ruling out things can help with hypochondria...?  And quite frankly my own long standing autoimmune issues came on in that age range, it is surprisingly common and encouraging that they’re testing more for things like fibro, lupus, MS, CF, etc, in the 20’s, where help can do more good than a decade or two further into the conditions.

I would think it's normal to rule out the simplest explanations first.  She had a car accident.  She had some tingling and numbness (very limited).  She had muscle spasms in her legs after increased physical activity.  MS is not the first go-to.  As I said, I had no problem with recommending she follow up with a GP.  Even mentioning to her there are some auto-immune disorders that can cause numbness, so keep an eye on that and be sure to mention it to the GP.   

She didn't even see the MRI results first.  If it had been a blown disk, would she still have brought it up?  I still think it was wrong.

• Like 3

I'd be upset too.  Maybe I'm unusual because I've had pretty good experiences with ER's over the years.  They don't seem to go overboard, and as long as nothing seems critically urgent, they tend to have more of a wait and see attitude.

Actually, I think your dd's ER doc could have gone that route too.  Once they ruled out anything urgent, and knowing that she had had more physical activity than usual over the past few days (and had recently been in a car accident!), they could have advised her to just wait and see for awhile and make an appointment with a regular GP if her symptoms continued.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Just a thought:  the ER is probably the worst place for a borderline hypochondriac to receive information.  The kind of person who works successfully in an ER is a decider, an action-taker, a commander.  This isn't the place where you find the people who spend a lot of time thinking about the relationship with the patient, or "breaking it gently."  This is a brass-tacks and take-action-now environment, and it is often in contact with a rough or dangerous clientele.  

The reason I mention it is that if you tell that to your daughter, she might have a better understanding of how to receive the information she got there.  It's quick, it's decisive, it's commanding.  I'm not saying that the doctor should have jumped to MS...but the kind of doctor who is successful in an ER is not the same kind of doctor who has a patient relationship.  or spends a lot of time thinking about how to word things.  :0/  It's probably not the best "fit" for your daughter, given her own personality.  (Me, I respond very well to the quick/decisive/direct approach, so this would not bother me as much as it might other people.  Part of the reason I like my GP is that he is blunt and direct...and I know what to do.)

I hope she is OK, and that she will follow up with the GP...especially if it is one who has some good understanding re: auto-immune (due to the gluten issues...).  And I'm sorry for the car accident at so young an age...that can involve such long-term issues.  

I said to her, "Sweetie, you get a certain type of information in the ER of a hospital".... um, you explained it much better! ?   

I dunno...I think the ER doc was right to advise a follow-up because it *could* be serious and need immediate attention.  Imagine how you might feel if she had something serious and life-threatening and the doc didn't emphasize that she should follow-up.

• Like 1

Two thoughts...

My SIL is an ER doctor. She always thinks of the worst thing first. She doesn’t think “let’s rule out the most obvious” but “let’s rule out what will kill you or be really serious”. My kids laugh because she is super overprotective and germaphobic. I tell them it’s because she sees all the weird accidents and infections. She sees a sore throat and thinks “better make sure it isn’t epiglottitis”. I think “probably strep”. 

The other thing is that I’ve been in that setting, where as a doctor I feel like something needs to be ruled out or considered and I have to decide whether or not to mention it and freak out the patient or to be deliberately vague. It’s a hard decision, and even harder if you don’t know the patient/family. For example, a toddler with bruising might be leukemia. Do I mention that to the parents and then have them freak out and be in complete panic for 24 hours until the labs come back? Or do I not mention it but tell them to get bloodwork just to “be sure” and then take the risk that they won’t take me seriously and go get it done or that I will then blindside them if it ends up being something serious? It’s easier for me because I know the families and can try and tailor what I say to their personality. But I’ve definitely erred both ways...freaked out people who were more anxious than I realized and had people feel like I didn’t give them enough info when I was trying not to panic them. 

Also, ER doctors always tell people to follow up. Always. And probably the doc thought that mentioning a specific potentially serious diagnosis would make a busy college student more likely to follow up than just saying “make sure to see your doctor”. 

Sorry she had a bad experience. Sounds like the bedside manner could have been better, but I’m not sure that the doctor made a mistake. 

• Like 9

This will so be my child in college.  So much medical anxiety and drama...I do have to remind doctors when we visit that the anxiety goes into overdrive with anything medical. And it is so tricky because most of the time I know it is the anxiety taking over, but as a mom you don't want to miss anything either.  

Since your daughter has been dwelling on the nerve pain and tingling, perhaps she will feel better in the end to have things ruled out.  I do think it is helpful when the doctor is aware of the mental health component as well.  When my kid had the first panic attack and immediately became convinced the chest pain meant something  was wrong with the heart, it was helpful to hear the doctor ask questions like "have you ever had pain with exercising?  Do you ever feel like you can't keep up with the other kids while running, etc..?" My child felt better after being checked over.

It didn't matter that I knew it was a panic attack. I didn't want to have my kid obsessing over their heart health or to feel like I had missed something on the tiny chance it was anything else and I had brushed it off.  The doctor explaining the physical symptoms of anxiety is what was needed along with being checked over. Hopefully your daughter can find out more information that reassures her and rules out anything triggering her anxiety.  

Edited by CaliforniaDreamin
  • Like 2

Probably checking for a B12 deficiency would have been a more appropriate suggestion. Honestly my first thought was MS, but that's probably because I have MS and I had all sorts of little signs (random numbness, muscle spasms, etc.) in my teen and young adult years.

I've been taking Natural Calm for relaxing my muscles and migraine prevention. Maybe it's something she could try? An epsom salt bath would be ideal, though. The heat would be an added help for the spasming. Plus you can tell her if she has a really hot bath and still feels ok it's probably not MS, lol. They used to diagnose people that way from what I've read.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, Alice said:

Two thoughts...

My SIL is an ER doctor. She always thinks of the worst thing first. She doesn’t think “let’s rule out the most obvious” but “let’s rule out what will kill you or be really serious”. 

Or do I not mention it but tell them to get bloodwork just to “be sure” and then take the risk that they won’t take me seriously and go get it done or that I will then blindside them if it ends up being something serious?

Also, ER doctors always tell people to follow up. Always. And probably the doc thought that mentioning a specific potentially serious diagnosis would make a busy college student more likely to follow up than just saying “make sure to see your doctor”. 

Sorry she had a bad experience. Sounds like the bedside manner could have been better, but I’m not sure that the doctor made a mistake. 

Heartily agree. Sometimes, the conversation needs to be emphasized with more potential bad news to balance out the fact that the patient came in for something relatively benign and the odds are that the patient will NOT follow up.

I hear a lot of ER stories from a family member, and this is all very typical for that environment. This family member has to break the "probably cancer" news probably once per year. He's not an oncologist, but some things are very distinct on imaging. If he pussy footed around, the patient might or might not opt to follow up if they came in for something relatively benign. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:43 PM, Pen said:

I wonder if the emergency doctor examined her and found concerning clinical evidence of something amiss neurologically. 

Some clinicians (ER, family doc, the gamut) will put things in a chart and not share with the patient, particularly if they think the patient is likely to follow up with someone else, come back to that practice, or see a specialist. As a patient, I've gotten what feels like a brush-off from the doc with no plans to bother going back only to find out later that they were actually listening. If they'd just shared what they'd written in the %^& chart or were thinking in their head, I would've been inclined to come back. 

It's something our kids need to learn to manage -- difficult/scary input that may/may not be true and needs to be investigated. It's hard to see them go through it.

Just FYI, I have a friend whose daughter, in her late 20s, was diagnosed this year with MS (and it's been very hard to manage) because of severe pain and tingling in her legs. No, it wasn't preceded by a car accident even several months prior, but she was *lucky* that her ER doc demanded followup for the initial symptoms.

• Like 3

Actually, tummy troubles are a major complication of MS.  My cousin was diagnosed with MS.  He now has issues with Chrones.  Both gluten issues and MS are autoimmune in nature.  I wouldn’t discount it so quickly. 

Stefanie

• Like 2

They suspected that I had MS as a young person.  Then an ER doctor thought I had Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 22 and wanted me to see a rheumatologist.  I was about to lose insurance and because of denial, didn't go until 4 or 5 years later. Oh, my MS symptoms were partially basilar migraines and partially lupus.  Autoimmune conditions do often start at those ages,

On 8/22/2018 at 12:48 PM, goldberry said:

I would think it's normal to rule out the simplest explanations first.  She had a car accident.  She had some tingling and numbness (very limited).  She had muscle spasms in her legs after increased physical activity.  MS is not the first go-to.  As I said, I had no problem with recommending she follow up with a GP.  Even mentioning to her there are some auto-immune disorders that can cause numbness, so keep an eye on that and be sure to mention it to the GP.   

She didn't even see the MRI results first.  If it had been a blown disk, would she still have brought it up?  I still think it was wrong.

Yes, but most young women don't get to college aged without experiencing some muscle pain.  They join the soccer team and the 3 hour practices leave them so sore the whole team can't move the next day.  Or they freak out about a school trip and wearing a swimsuit in front of every boy going, and start Pilates and a crash diet. Muscle pain from sudden increases in exercise are a rare thing to be brand new for someone that age.

Most MRIs are digital these days.  It's highly possible that the doctor saw the images herself before she came into the room, even if she warned your DD that before she got the official reading back from the radiologist.