Menu

Has anyone had their child participate in duke tip??

lynn

My dd brought home a letter yesterday saying she qualifies or was found in their talent search.  Is it over priced money making scam or is there any real value.  Is there scholarship money to be earned above what she will already qualify for?  

We’ve done talent search testing throug NUMATS which is similar.   I never thought the programming was worth the price but we are urban and have good options local to us.   So for someone else they might be great.  I did definitely think it was positive to do talent search testing.   

• Like 2

I have had friend's kids do  it.  I have also been in charge of it for my school.  It is a great experience for some kids.  It is expensive unless you score so high that you get a scholarship.  And just because you qualify for the initial search does not mean you will qualify for the actual TIP program.  We had about 27 students initially qualify, but after taking the SAT or ACT, only 3 or 4 actually qualified for the program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I have had friend's kids do  it.  I have also been in charge of it for my school.  It is a great experience for some kids.  It is expensive unless you score so high that you get a scholarship.  And just because you qualify for the initial search does not mean you will qualify for the actual TIP program.  We had about 27 students initially qualify, but after taking the SAT or ACT, only 3 or 4 actually qualified for the program.

But what do kids get out it except more classes?  Do they get scholarship money for completing it.  Would money spent be better invested for college vs paying for duke tip?  I'm trying to find out more o  the website but it's not clear it just talks a about talent search and My dd qualifies but what does it get our time money and her effort college credits.

3 minutes ago, lynn said:

But what do kids get out it except more classes?  Do they get scholarship money for completing it.  Would money spent be better invested for college vs paying for duke tip?  I'm trying to find out more o  the website but it's not clear it just talks a about talent search and My dd qualifies but what does it get our time money and her effort college credits.

No scholarships I am aware of. Challenge. Interacting with other kids their intellectual level. Perhaps lifelong friendships. Realizing ther are others out there that feel "Out of place" in the regular schools.

• Like 1

DD is in the program. She was hoping to attend one of their summer programs this year but unfortunately she didn't get enough of a scholarship. We are aiming for next year.

She did take the SAT and qualified for the awards ceremony. That alone was worth the experience. She was so proud of herself and I know it will be helpful when she takes the tests "for real" in a few years, now that the pressure is off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

No scholarships I am aware of. Challenge. Interacting with other kids their intellectual level. Perhaps lifelong friendships. Realizing ther are others out there that feel "Out of place" in the regular schools.

This. Which made it so worthwhile for dd.  However, there were scholarships in the sense that dd made connections with people who told her about other scholarships AND she was involved in a program to get low-income, high-achieving kids into top-tier schools.

And the only cost for us was the cost of the act test every year.

As far as I’m concerned, just being able to gain exposure to the test for 6 years in a row was worth it because when the time came for it to count, she killed that test. And remember, you don’t have to be part of a talent search to take ACT/SAT/PSAT early.

ETA: she did attend 2 summer camps at no charge other than airfare and then she chose different camps after that.   The classes were mostly online and she didn’t have time for them, but I’ve heard they were mostly good to great.  

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ailaena said:

This. Which made it so worthwhile for dd.  However, there were scholarships in the sense that dd made connections with people who told her about other scholarships AND she was involved in a program to get low-income, high-achieving kids into top-tier schools.

And the only cost for us was the cost of the act test every year.

As far as I’m concerned, just being able to gain exposure to the test for 6 years in a row was worth it because when the time came for it to count, she killed that test. And remember, you don’t have to be part of a talent search to take ACT/SAT/PSAT early.

Yes, this is why it was worth it for us!  My kids did fantastic on untimed oral testing when they were younger (when they're in the mood and focused anyway).  We have to test annually in our state.  It worked so well for my oldest to do the ACT a number of years in a row.  That timed bubble test skill is not a natural skill for everyone.  Some out of the box thinkers can botch this and not really reflect their academics on tests like this.  I am 100% sure that helped his final score which is good enough to apply anywhere.  And it's not like we spent zillion of hours prepping.  We only prepped the last time, and that was light prep at that.  It was just familiarity with the format and types of question, practice with focusing that long, maturity and  just being more invested in doing well too.  

He qualified for the programming, but we have a fantastic local GT org and live within range of multiple universities with specialty classes and camps, etc so I never felt like we had to invest or participate in the programs otherwise.  

4 hours ago, lynn said:

They get to see what college is going to be like, take classes at a college level (or near college level), and as some have said, may qualify based on low income status for some things.