Jump to content

Menu

USAA vs Farmer's insurance?


Janeway
 Share

Recommended Posts

We have USAA. I have been getting calls to allow someone to give me a quote for Farmer's.  I said fine. They sent it over and was surprised to find it was cheaper but had more coverage. Does anyone have advice or experience? My renewal date is a couple days away so now I feel like maybe I need to just switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would try to check reviews on customer service. And how each company handles increases in premiums after tickets or accidents. USAA has a great reputation. I don't if Farmers does or not, I'm not familiar with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Every time I've ever been offered a quote for insurance, they always ask who insures us now.  I say, "USAA," and they say, "Oh.  Never mind."  

I really don't think anybody can touch USAA.  I'd compare the coverages more closely for hidden exemptions, or high deductibles, or something like that.

This varies greatly depending upon what state you are in.  When DH and I married he had USAA and thought it was a no-brainer that we stay with them; we compared my State Farm coverage and found that it was MUCH cheaper.  We have checked several times since then and it would be much more expensive to have USAA.  I have relatives who have found the same thing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kand said:

This is the same experience I’ve had, but I just got an quote to add my 18yo dd to our auto policy with USAA, and it was a lot more than I expected, so I’m wondering if I should shop around. 

 

Some parents of young drivers have gotten Geico Liability coverage for their kids and were happy with it. It's been too long for me to remember but I think we just added ds to our insurance - and probably paid a lot more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we lived in Iowa I found State Farm offered more coverage for half the price.  When I called USAA to cancel, the random sales guy acted upset because I wouldn't tell him what they were offering us, because he wanted to compete.  I was annoyed they had room to compete and hadn't given me a good deal in the first place. That's when I was done with USAA.  When we needed a roof replaced due to storm damage in Oklahoma I was thrilled we had State Farm.  They issued us a check in less than a week, in a town where something like 30% of roofs needed totally replaced.

Warning though, when choosing an agent, get LOCAL recommendations.  IME half of them are lazy and terrible, and the other half are awesome and work their rear ends off for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Katy said:

When we lived in Iowa I found State Farm offered more coverage for half the price.  When I called USAA to cancel, the random sales guy acted upset because I wouldn't tell him what they were offering us, because he wanted to compete.  I was annoyed they had room to compete and hadn't given me a good deal in the first place. That's when I was done with USAA.  When we needed a roof replaced due to storm damage in Oklahoma I was thrilled we had State Farm.  They issued us a check in less than a week, in a town where something like 30% of roofs needed totally replaced.

Warning though, when choosing an agent, get LOCAL recommendations.  IME half of them are lazy and terrible, and the other half are awesome and work their rear ends off for you.

I had terrible experience with Allstate and heard others did too. I have not had trouble with USAA, but, have not used them so I don;t have experience really. However, there is one problem. They keep changing our deductible without telling us and this frustrates me. I keep calling them and telling them to change it back and they do, but then it reverts back to the old way the next time.

Edited by Janeway
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve had a good experience with USAA. Without going into minute detail, we had a house disaster and they worked with us to accommodate my son’s special needs both wrt the type of hotel we stayed in, the food we ate while out of our home, and the building materials used to make repairs.  They were stellar.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been happy with State Farm. They've always handled our claims well. We had some complicated issues with dividing policies, and they knew how to handle selling an empty house while I was renting nearby without charging the full unoccupied house rate.

My oldest could get his car insurance with USAA, but it was cheaper to just keep him on my State Farm policy while he's still in school. 

I agree that the local people can be mixed. The guy we went with is perpetually out of the office, and everything is handled by two full-time employees who answer the phone. For awhile one of them was new and perpetually had to ask what to do, but it's fine now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

I had terrible experience with Allstate and heard others did too. I have not had trouble with USAA, but, have not used them so I don;t have experience really. However, there is one problem. They keep changing our deductible without telling us and this frustrates me. I keep calling them and telling them to change it back and they do, but then it reverts back to the old way the next time.

 

In the Oklahoma incident I heard multiple people had issues with Allstate and USAA, so it doesn't surprise me. Go to the insurance commissioner website in your state and file a complaint about them making unauthorized changes to your policy.  That should stop it immediately.  If it happens again after that, you need to find a new company.

If you EVER have a problem with an insurance company not paying out the way it should, when you call customer service use the words "lawyer" and "insurance commissioner." That will IMMEDIATELY escalate your issue to upper management, because either will start to involve fees that cost more than the interest they are earning on reserves by not paying out claims in a timely manner.

Also always send EVERYTHING involving a claim to them certified return receipt mail.  They sometimes try to retroactively cancel policies for "not receiving" a more detailed claim form.  It's amazing how fast that gets involved when you can call and say, "Really?  Because Luis in your mail room signed he received it on March 24th at 10:14am. Do I need to send a copy of this to the insurance commissioner?" After that they tend to stop trying to commit fraud with your account.

They hire nurses to work claims for health and life insurance companies.  I worked in a couple, one of which was good, one of which had a couple executives go to prison for white collar crimes while I was there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve never used either but ask to be sure the new quote isn’t a teaser rate. We’ve had that happen before. Then at renewal it goes up to more than we were paying at old insurance company. 

Of course now that I say that, we’ve asked if a quote was teaser and been told no but rates still went up at next term. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Katy said:

 

Go to the insurance commissioner website in your state and file a complaint about them making unauthorized changes to your policy.  That should stop it immediately.  If it happens again after that, you need to find a new company.

 

 

 

Yes, this! Send your evidence to the insurance commissioner! This would be either the paperwork they sent you with the changed deductibles or the screenshots when you made the discover online. It's insane for them to change them without notice. Even if a change in the law requires a change, my insurance company still sends me a notice about the change. It's absurd that yours did not do this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Wow! Why? In full?  

 

Fire claims are very tricky. If there is any hint that you were at fault, they won't pay.

I have a friend who put on an addition which included space in the basement for their business. She called the insurance company to add the addition, but to her knowledge, never received paperwork back showing that. When they made the claim, the insurance company had no record of the addition and didn't cover that area of the house or anything in the addition. The fire started in the addition. They took the insurance company to court but lost.

Another friend had a fire in a wood stove that took out about 1/2 of their house, and the company didn't pay because it was determined that the chimney hadn't been properly maintained. They hadn't had the chimney cleaned and checked since they bought the house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, G5052 said:

 

Fire claims are very tricky. If there is any hint that you were at fault, they won't pay.

I have a friend who put on an addition which included space in the basement for their business. She called the insurance company to add the addition, but to her knowledge, never received paperwork back showing that. When they made the claim, the insurance company had no record of the addition and didn't cover that area of the house or anything in the addition. The fire started in the addition. They took the insurance company to court but lost.

Another friend had a fire in a wood stove that took out about 1/2 of their house, and the company didn't pay because it was determined that the chimney hadn't been properly maintained. They hadn't had the chimney cleaned and checked since they bought the house.

 

Both of those were USAA?  Or am I getting posters confused?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Spryte said:

 

Both of those were USAA?  Or am I getting posters confused?

 

Different poster. One was Erie and one was USAA.

We're renting a house with an older wood stove in the basement, and I'm so uneasy that I told my DC we wouldn't be using it. I did find out from the landlord that they had it inspected when they bought the house some years ago, but the whole house needs a lot of maintenance and updating, and I'm skeptical. I don't have the money for an inspection, and the landlord is good about fixing plumbing and electrical problems but doesn't want to put a lot into it at this point. If problems were found, I doubt they'd pay for a fix.

Edited by G5052
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, G5052 said:

 

Fire claims are very tricky. If there is any hint that you were at fault, they won't pay.

I have a friend who put on an addition which included space in the basement for their business. She called the insurance company to add the addition, but to her knowledge, never received paperwork back showing that. When they made the claim, the insurance company had no record of the addition and didn't cover that area of the house or anything in the addition. The fire started in the addition. They took the insurance company to court but lost.

Another friend had a fire in a wood stove that took out about 1/2 of their house, and the company didn't pay because it was determined that the chimney hadn't been properly maintained. They hadn't had the chimney cleaned and checked since they bought the house.

 

I doubt any insurer would pay in the above circumstances.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

 

I doubt any insurer would pay in the above circumstances.

 

Yes, I agree. Homeowner's insurance primarily pays for "acts of God" types of things -- broken pipes, wind storms, etc. There are a few others, but that's the primary purpose of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Every time I've ever been offered a quote for insurance, they always ask who insures us now.  I say, "USAA," and they say, "Oh.  Never mind."  

I really don't think anybody can touch USAA.  I'd compare the coverages more closely for hidden exemptions, or high deductibles, or something like that.

 

I agree that this depends on the state. We use USAA for homeowners and another company for auto. USAA was twice as much for half the coverage.

As for denying claims, my parents had a house fire last year. My mom was definitely at fault and never denied it (it was accidental but the result of her actions). It was fully covered by USAA. Everyone involved in the process was happy to work with USAA because they claimed they were the easiest company to work with and wouldn't haggle over every little thing.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had Farmer's and my complaint was that their billing system was archaic, so at one point even though (a) I was no longer a customer and (b) they had my credit card on file, they actually sent me to collections! It took months to resolve.

Never had a problem with USAA. It is totally worth the extra $ in my opinion. Excellent customer service.

Edited by Tsuga
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, kand said:

This is the same experience I’ve had, but I just got an quote to add my 18yo dd to our auto policy with USAA, and it was a lot more than I expected, so I’m wondering if I should shop around. 

I was so glad I had USAA when our teen driver got into an accident. It was well worth every penny. Teen drivers are expensive to insure for a reason 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

USAA changing the deductible amount sounds weird. All it takes is checking the amounts on the online policy & it will continue at that level everytime it renews. I can't imagine any different unless their whole system changes - in which case they send paperwork notifying that everyone is changing at a certain future date & to contact them if you need something set up differently. (They changed the rental $$ reimbursement several years ago. We didn't require the bigger vehicle they automatically were going to switch both our vehicles to. Changed it back for one of the vehicles online & it has stayed that way since then.)

USAA has definitely become less consumer-centric in the last 10 years. Opening up membership to almost everyone has not been great, IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

USAA changing the deductible amount sounds weird. All it takes is checking the amounts on the online policy & it will continue at that level everytime it renews. I can't imagine any different unless their whole system changes - in which case they send paperwork notifying that everyone is changing at a certain future date & to contact them if you need something set up differently. (They changed the rental $$ reimbursement several years ago. We didn't require the bigger vehicle they automatically were going to switch both our vehicles to. Changed it back for one of the vehicles online & it has stayed that way since then.)

USAA has definitely become less consumer-centric in the last 10 years. Opening up membership to almost everyone has not been great, IMO.

 

I agree. I have had them for nearly 20 years and their customer service has gone down the tubes. I dread calling them because of attitudes and the upsell. If I didnt think they offered great ho insurance, I would switch in a heartbeat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...