Menu

Frivolous poll: do you like cupcakes with “tall” icing?

Ginevra

Do you like a lot of tall decorative icing?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Is tall icing good on a cupcake? Or just pretty?

• Yes, it is a wonderful sugar rush
    • No, I do not like so much icing
    • I don’t eat any cupcakes/icing/cake
    • I only like wheatgrash agave muffins with no icing
    • You’re weird, Quill

48 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I have one kiddo who takes the icing off and eats the cake underneath. The other kid makes sure to eat ALL the icing and may take a bite or two of the cake.

My 2 are just like this. Actually, the icing-eater will probably take her sister's discarded icing and eat it also. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quill said:

See, this poll does beg a question, doesn’t it? If the majority of people, by far, do not want this type of icing or so much of it, why is this the standard professional way to make a cupcake? (Not that this poll is necessarily representative, but still...) 

I also wonder why they sell "gourmet" dog biscuits with icing on them, too. It's certainly not for the dog. I guess enough people think it looks appealing and it sells. If the cupcakes with icing didn't sell, the bakery industry would find something that did sell.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I also wonder why they sell "gourmet" dog biscuits with icing on them, too. It's certainly not for the dog. I guess enough people think it looks appealing and it sells. If the cupcakes with icing didn't sell, the bakery industry would find something that did sell.

And then we'd ask why they sold such a thing!

• Haha 1

Ha!  I used to!  And, 3 years ago for dd's 16th b'day I made homemade/scratch cupcakes with a huge flower icing top with edibles on top!  I started a thread with an uploaded image or two.  While they really were pretty and yummy as the cake batter was "real" strawberry" vanilla, I've since decided I don't like a lot of icing.  The Wilton tip I used (1 M, I think) produced a huge flower.  There was just so much icing on it!  But, everyone liked them (I did at the time) so I'm pleased with that.  :) 

• Like 1

No to cream cheese.  No to heavy crisco icing.  Meh to buttercream.  

But whipped...bring on the whipped!  Mmmmm!  I can glop that on to twice the size of the cupcake and am in heaven.

I don’t know how to make it for myself, but my local grocery store sells containers of it in their bakery section and it’s just divine.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I puffy-heart love frosting.

My kids and I were just discussing this the other day.  We think that someone needs to develop a cupcake pan that is only half as deep so that you can pile on the frosting and still get the cupcake into your mouth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't like icing at all so I wouldn't like anything with tall or extra icing. When there's birthday cake I never want a corner or outside piece, and I often scrape off the icing and just eat the cake even when I get a middle piece. I'm not crazy about cake anyway though so don't count my opinion as being worth much.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I prefer 'medium' height for my cupcake icing-- cake needs to be at least twice as deep.  My go to is to use a large star tip and do a swirl-- outside in so it is is not too tall! 

I make a great buttercream (no crisco!) and an AWESOME cream cheese icing (what I would do right now for a spoonful!).

I also make a YUMMY marshmallow fondant-- the secret is to layer flavors-- not just vanilla.  The last cake I made was an orange (flavor) cake with cream cheese frosting.  Only the top was covered in fondant (looked like bowling alley wood) and there were grown men at that party (well everyone there was old!) who were stealing the fondant off of the plates of those not brave enough to try it!  NOTHING like the playdough stuff sold in stores!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

My kids and I were just discussing this the other day.  We think that someone needs to develop a cupcake pan that is only half as deep so that you can pile on the frosting and still get the cupcake into your mouth.

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/chicago-metallic-trade-the-original-muffin-top-pan-trade/1013145911?categoryId=15191

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Because they are eye appealing. Same reason disgusting fondant covered cakes are having staying power. Also, I think the frosting is cheaper than the cake, so from a bakery cost cutting standpoint, it makes sense until people complain. 

I think I just read a stat in the latest FN magazine that stated most people won't eat fondant.

• Like 1

Just now, heartlikealion said:

I attempted to do a recipe where they cut a hole in a cupcake and shove a whole strawberry in it after it has baked. Might be up your alley. And they used a whipped cream frosting. 

I skimmed this and saw:

"Hole...shove...whole...up your alley!" And I was like...whaaa!?!

Then I read each word! LOL

That sounds yummy, but I'd might try to make a strawberry filling instead just a whole berry. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

They probably didn't because maybe they thought it would be too similar to the frosting. I added a link. When I did get ahold of heavy whipping cream I used their method to make a frosting for a pineapple cake and chunks of pineapple. I did not find the 3 tablespoons of sugar to be sweet enough but with more pineapple chunks it worked. So for their recipe I would probably add more strawberry than they did. 

Thanks for the link! I see what you mean with the similarity with the frosting.

I'm picturing a filling like a strawberry pie filling and a plain vanilla whipped cream frosting.

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

Ha!  I used to!  And, 3 years ago for dd's 16th b'day I made homemade/scratch cupcakes with a huge flower icing top with edibles on top!  I started a thread with an uploaded image or two.  While they really were pretty and yummy as the cake batter was "real" strawberry" vanilla, I've since decided I don't like a lot of icing.  The Wilton tip I used (1 M, I think) produced a huge flower.  There was just so much icing on it!  But, everyone liked them (I did at the time) so I'm pleased with that.  ?

3 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I prefer 'medium' height for my cupcake icing-- cake needs to be at least twice as deep.  My go to is to use a large star tip and do a swirl-- outside in so it is is not too tall! 

I make a great buttercream (no crisco!) and an AWESOME cream cheese icing (what I would do right now for a spoonful!).

I also make a YUMMY marshmallow fondant-- the secret is to layer flavors-- not just vanilla.  The last cake I made was an orange (flavor) cake with cream cheese frosting.  Only the top was covered in fondant (looked like bowling alley wood) and there were grown men at that party (well everyone there was old!) who were stealing the fondant off of the plates of those not brave enough to try it!  NOTHING like the playdough stuff sold in stores!

Not much that I do is "Pinterest-worthy," but this is my one party trick. My cupcake recipe varies, but I always top them with piped cream cheese icing. For minimal effort, I end up with something that looks and tastes amazing.

4 hours ago, Junie said:

Why not just fill the muffin tin one quarter to one third full? Either make half the recipe or bake two batches of shorty cupcakes. 

18 minutes ago, JIN MOUSA said:

Why not just fill the muffin tin one quarter to one third full? Either make half the recipe or bake two batches of shorty cupcakes. 

Yes, this would work.  I hadn't really thought of doing this.  I am so not a baker.  :)

The truth is that we always buy our cupcakes.  I have a severe wheat allergy, so we can't bake cupcakes unless they're gf.  It's much easier to buy the birthday cupcakes and me eat something else.  (IMO gf cupcakes are not usually worth eating.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

That’s what I used the last few times I made cupcakes. It seems like a good ratio of cake to frosting. 

I do make cream cheese frosting more than any other type. This is dh’s favorite.

For the most part I can take or leave cake. Although Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolaty Cake...that is my go-to cupcake. 

• Haha 1

I didn't think icing could be tall. I thought that only frosting could be tall. Icing is just a step up from glaze in my vocabulary.

Also, I like frosting and icing in moderation, as it should be, maybe 1/10th of the total cupcake volume, no more. It is too sweet to eat more of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Junie said:

Yes, this would work.  I hadn't really thought of doing this.  I am so not a baker.  ?

The truth is that we always buy our cupcakes.  I have a severe wheat allergy, so we can't bake cupcakes unless they're gf.  It's much easier to buy the birthday cupcakes and me eat something else.  (IMO gf cupcakes are not usually worth eating.)

I made our Minecraft cupcakes gluten free using the vanilla cupcake and chocolate cake recipes from the Cup 4 Cup website.  I had bought a bunch of Cup 4 Cup on clearance at Target and needed to use it up.

They were delicious.  DS8 prefers the “slowly drying out and getting crumbly over time yellow cake”, which was the vanilla cakes.  The rest of us like “stays moist forever”, which was the chocolate ones.  It was a bit of a pain without a stand mixer (GF baking usually is), but it worked out!

I usually just buy regular cake/cupcakes, too, and DH can just eat ice cream, but I was too lazy to decorate for the party and figured I ought to lift a finger somewhere!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tsuga said:

I didn't think icing could be tall. I thought that only frosting could be tall. Icing is just a step up from glaze in my vocabulary.

Also, I like frosting and icing in moderation, as it should be, maybe 1/10th of the total cupcake volume, no more. It is too sweet to eat more of.

Yes, I’m sure there is the possibility of a distinction, but around here, they seem to be used interchangeably. 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:48 AM, Tsuga said:

This was my first thought, too, until I read replies.  I think of icing as what is  used as decoration over the frosting.  So, the frosting could be tall but not the icing (unless the icing is like big roses over the frosting or something like that).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quill said:

Yes, I’m sure there is the possibility of a distinction, but around here, they seem to be used interchangeably. 

That's interesting. Here they are two distinct things...icing is harder because it has more sugar. Do you have a term for the decoration stuff that describes more sugary, glazy decor on a cake or is that just different icing? Can you have buttercream icing?

42 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

That's interesting. Here they are two distinct things...icing is harder because it has more sugar. Do you have a term for the decoration stuff that describes more sugary, glazy decor on a cake or is that just different icing? Can you have buttercream icing?

In my area (southeast US), frosting and icing are usually used interchangeably. There's even one recipe that is called both boiled icing and seven minute frosting. There's also glaze--a thin sugary coating, often poured over bundt cakes and doughnuts, not hard like a shell but not fluffy. The exception might be royal icing for cookies, like gingerbread men, which dries very hard and is more opaque and I don't think I've heard that called frosting. It's thicker than a glaze. 

Most of the cakes/cupcakes I've had that have decoration use piped buttercream for the decoration as well, though you can buy really hard little decorations out of royal icing at the grocery store to stick on top. I don't see them used really regularly, however.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tsuga said:

Here, people would usually just call that a glaze. The hard decorations on cakes or cookies are called royal icing. People do say butttercream icing or buttercream frosting interchangeably. I have a photocopy of the “icing” (buttercream frosting) recipe my grandmother used to use. My mother called it, “Mother’s Icing.” 

• Like 2

I'm another one who typically scrapes the icing off and just eats the cake, lol.

When dh's grandmother was in the hospital recently, we were given a gift certificate to eat at a nearby restaurant whose flagship menu item was purple vanilla milkshakes. Dh got one for dessert and said it was alright but the flavor seemed familiar but he couldn't identify it. I took a little taste and knew immeadiately what it was. It tasted like frosting with way too much food coloring in it. Yuck!

Edited by sweet2ndchance
typo