Menu

I plan to put together a taco bar

lynn

This is my favorite go to group meal!  I have it down to a science. I usually do 3 crock pots - 1 for chicken, 1 for rice, 1 for black beans.  I use Chipotle copy cat recipes. I swear they're better than chipotle made at home.  Then I serve corn and flour tortillas (just corn hard/soft if gluten could be a huge issue for the group).  Guac, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese for toppings.  Maybe peppers and onions chopped if I'm feeling ambitious.  I have done them fajita style at times.

This can work for GF, DF, veg, vegan, low carb, no red meat folks.   Taco salad could be an option for folks too if you had plenty of lettuce.

ETA

https://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-chicken/

https://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice/

https://www.menuofmusings.com/chipotle-black-bean-recipe/

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lynn said:

For my bunco ladies next week.  So please tell me how you like your tacos so I can make a list of what I need to get.  Thank you

I really don't love those crispy "taco shells," so *I* would prefer a burrito bar (burritos use flour tortillas). :-) Unless you can buy actual corn tortillas and heat the up somehow and keep them warm.

I don't put beans on my tacos; I do put them on my burritos. If it's tacos, then I'll put beans and rice on my plate; it burritos, then beans and rice on the flour tortillas, followed by meat, cheese, diced tomatoes, onions, then sour cream, then sliced black olives. Avocado is a nice touch. :-)

• Like 1

I like corn tortillas that have been lightly toasted in a pan on the stove.

My favorite taco filling is crispy tofu cubes (bunco ladies might not go for that, though - lol) topped with slaw that contains cabbage, carrots, green onions, jalapeños, garlic, vegan mayo, and lime juice.

• Like 3

I've had taco bars for several teen parties.

I usually have two meat options - brisket, chicken (seasoned), ground beef (seasoned).

Lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole (if in season), cabbage. Sometimes cilantro too. 

I provide rice (plain not Mexican) and beans.

I provide flour tortillas and yellow corn taco shells as well as tortilla chips.

Then I step back and let people make their own however they want. Sometimes they want to make regular tacos, sometimes they just want a taco salad.

One taco bar we went to had chopped pecans too.  Some people like sliced olives on theirs too.

• Like 1

Meat of any kind, beans (refried, black, charro, whatever), avocado, tomatoes, jack cheese, salsa, sour cream,black olives.  Soft corn tortillas please. 

‘However, I will eat nearly anything that’s on a taco bar and will not complain about any of my usual favorites that are missing. It’s all good. 

17 minutes ago, bethben said:

I have found this marinated mexican meat at Costco that is really great for a taco feast.  It's grilled, but makes a ton for the package it's in.  This also is my go-to meal for guests because it can be customizable with allergies.

Mine, too. Almost any style of eating goes with tacos. It’s also a great meal for new moms since most kids will eat SOMETHING in a tortilla, even if it’s just cheese.