Menu

Need help with Constituational Law elective

I'm behind on planning DS's electives for this year. One of my thoughts is to put together a 1/2 credit Constitutional Law elective.

I have on hand a textbook called Foundation for Freedom: A Study of the US Constitution published by Christian Liberty Press. I think it covers more of the history behind the document and seems a bit on the dry side from what I've skimmed. Also, it comes from a conservative slant.

So I need help with another 1 or 2 resources to make this course a bit more interesting, and to provide other angles of viewing the Constitution. Any suggestions?

The people who do Radiolab have a podcast about Supreme Court decisions called More Perfect. There's also one called Constitutional with one episode about each amendment (I haven't listened to that one at all yet; she did one about presidents before which was....okay).

There's a you decide type workbook from CTC about constitutional court cases...

https://www.criticalthinking.com/you-decide.html

It says grades 6-12, but I have it and I'd say it's more toward the high school end - just because you have to read excerpts from actual cases. It's not simplistic, basically. Paired with good books, it could be a good option.

ETA: Since your other resource is from CLP, I'll add that CTC is secular, but this was pretty middle of the road basic. They're not an agenda pushing company. Just standard textbook stuff.

Edited by Farrar

On 8/20/2018 at 11:52 AM, JoJosMom said:

I would suggest that you check out iCivics.org. They have a number of (free) resources on the Constitution.

I used this last semester with my Government class. It really is quite good and the fact that it is free is a bonus. I supplemented with a lot of movies, Crash Course videos, and a textbook as the lessons are very light. My students enjoyed the simulations a lot. Those who took the CLEP for their final exam scored high 70s so I was very pleased with that.

If you go that route and want the syllabus I put together let me know.