Menu

College Football fans: Poll for you

RootAnn

College Football fans: Poll for you  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If you follow college football, even if only one team, do you know who Scott Frost is? Do you think he's famous in college football circles?

• I've heard the name somewhere (couldn't tell anything about him).
    • I know who he is (where he's been and/or where he is now and/or some other factoid from his life) but not a lot.
    • I know where he is now & what he's doing.
    • Scott who? Don't you mean Jack Frost?
    • I don't follow college football, but I clicked on this thread anyway. I happen to know this Scott character you are asking about.
    • I don't follow college football, but I clicked on this thread anyway. No idea who this Scott Frost guy is.
    • Obligatory other
  2. 2. Regardless of your answer to the first part, do you think Scott Frost is famous in college football circles?

• Yes
    • No

Had a discussion with my mother this afternoon & we disagreed on this particular topic. I want to know if I'm being irrational. (I'll post later with which side of the argument I'm on if you can't tell.)

Edited to add: You are free to ask your DH or kids who follow college football for their opinion if you like.

Edited by RootAnn

I’m only familiar with SEC coaches and really only those within the last 10ish years. I only follow my team but being in an SEC town and married to a fan of most sports, I can’t avoid hearing about other teams. 

I’ll bet my husband has heard of him, I’ll update after I ask. 

• Like 1

Ok I asked my husband, a big football fan. He said the name sounded familiar but he didn’t know why. When I said he was the Nebraska coach he didn’t disagree. He said if I had asked him who the Nebraska coach was he would have difficulty naming anyone since Bill Callahan. 

We don’t hear much about the Big 10 in this part of the country and football season hasn’t started yet.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Annie G said:

UGA fan and we watched plenty of bowls last year. Is he well known in a good way or a bad way?

He was the coach for University of Central Florida last year when they went undefeated & beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. He's not at UCF anymore. 

16 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Ok I asked my husband, a big football fan. He said the name sounded familiar but he didn’t know why. When I said he was the Nebraska coach he didn’t disagree. He said if I had asked him who the Nebraska coach was he would have difficulty naming anyone since Bill Callahan. 

We don’t hear much about the Big 10 in this part of the country and football season hasn’t started yet.

:laugh: It is always football season in certain states . . . I.e., there is always last season or next season to talk about. Thanks for asking your DH.

7 minutes ago, lynn said:

Other.... i follow college football, SEC mostly and never heard of him.  Should I know who he is?

That depends on whether you agree with my mother or I. She insists almost every college football fan in the country knows who he is and that he is famous. "All the sports pages are full of him."

I insist he might be famous in his home state - Nebraska - where he is now the head coach, but most of the rest of the country would not consider him famous and likely has never heard of him. My specific mention was that "most Texas football fans" likely didn't know who he was. She completely disagreed with me, so I thought The Hive could help me decide if I was blinded by my long-held personal ambivalence to him. (I've known him since the summer after he graduated from high school.) I have also seen where my mother has trouble thinking outside her own sphere. She's lived in Nebraska her whole life and is very set in her ways; I'm not trying to change her mind. I just wanted to know if my own belief was wrong.

• Like 2

That’s why I don’t recall the name- I follow SEC football but a team that beats an SEC team (like UCF) isn’t really on my radar. Sure, I hate to see our conference teams lose a bowl game but for a team I watched once, I’m more likely to remember a standout player than their coach. 

• Like 2

I would recognize several SEC coaches but never heard of Scott Frost.  when I think football, coaches that come to mind first, for me are bear bryant,Nick  saban, gene stallings,  Tommy tuberville, steve spurrier, pat dye, Bobby bowden.

• Like 2

I voted that yes, he's probably famous in football circles, because I figured you wouldn't ask the question if he wasn't.

I voted "Who is he?" and "Other" for the first one, although now that you said who he is, I may have heard it once or twice.  I don't really follow college football.  I vaguely follow my one BigTen team and at some point will probably know who their main players are when I vaguely watch the Gametracker online.  I live in BigTen country though.

• Haha 1

Mid-major conferences/teams don’t usually get a lot of...mmm...credit among fans of major division 1 programs. Even if you are generally aware of the larger story arc, the names of people and players tend to get lost in service to the idea of Cinderella Makes Good (TM).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RootAnn said:

He was the coach for University of Central Florida last year when they went undefeated & beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. He's not at UCF anymore. 

:laugh: It is always football season in certain states . . . I.e., there is always last season or next season to talk about. Thanks for asking your DH.

See I knew Auburn had lost but still didn’t know the coach and I couldn’t have named the school that beat them.

Oh yes in SEC country it’s ALWAYS  football season!  But “we” are too busy talking about “our” team to worry about any other team not on our schedule. ?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RootAnn said:

That depends on whether you agree with my mother or I. She insists almost every college football fan in the country knows who he is and that he is famous. "All the sports pages are full of him."

I insist he might be famous in his home state - Nebraska - where he is now the head coach, but most of the rest of the country would not consider him famous and likely has never heard of him. My specific mention was that "most Texas football fans" likely didn't know who he was. She completely disagreed with me, so I thought The Hive could help me decide if I was blinded by my long-held personal ambivalence to him. (I've known him since the summer after he graduated from high school.) I have also seen where my mother has trouble thinking outside her own sphere. She's lived in Nebraska her whole life and is very set in her ways; I'm not trying to change her mind. I just wanted to know if my own belief was wrong.

It is neat that you know him and that is some serious bragging rights in Lincoln!

I agree with you. Coaches come and go and unless you are one of the top coaches of all time your name isn’t really remembered outside of the local fan base.  There are just too many teams and most people are really only fans of one or possibly two teams and then casually pay attention to a few more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

It is neat that you know him and that is some serious bragging rights in Lincoln!

I would not brag about it, but my mother would.

1 hour ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

DH and I went to Clemson, I follow Clemson closely and had no idea who Scott Frost was, but DH knows everything about anything college football.  He told me more than I ever wanted to know about Scott Frost, LOL. 

I answered the poll for him.

Did he tell you that Frost started his college football career at Stanford? :ohmy: Some Nebraskans haven't forgiven him for that 'betrayal.' Now, if he brings home the national championship, I'm sure they'll find it in their heart to forgive that one youthful indiscretion. Thanks for answering the poll on behalf of your DH. ?

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I would not brag about it, but my mother would.

Did he tell you that Frost started his college football career at Stanford? :ohmy: Some Nebraskans haven't forgiven him for that 'betrayal.' Now, if he brings home the national championship, I'm sure they'll find it in their heart to forgive that one youthful indiscretion. Thanks for answering the poll on behalf of your DH. ?

Leading Nebraska to a title in 1997 wasn't enough?

• Like 1

I am a college football fan for about 10 years but mostly watch SEC but sometimes others too.  I do read college football stories and did know about UCF amazing record last year but the guys name is the sort I don't remember.  I do not do well with remembering very common or common sounding short Anglo or Germanic names (Williams, Smith, Jones, Brown, etc).  I will remember names like Malzahn, Saban, Harbeger, etc all better.  Like yesterday I mixed up Fort Sumter and Sutter's Fort.  And I introduced myself to a visiting person at church and repeated his name incorrectly while trying to remember it and now still do not know if it was Williams or Wilson.

• Haha 2

I know him.

I also remember the rumors that he didn't help the woman he was sleeping with (Lawrence Phillips ex-girlfriend) while Phillips physically assaulted her when he found out (Phillips assaulted the woman, to be clear). He broke into Frost's apartment and dragged her down 3 flights of stairs, then smashed her head into a mailbox.

And Phillips stayed on the team.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Meriwether said:

I didn't know who he was but the name sounded somewhat familiar. My Dh would know, I'm sure. As far as I am concerned, Bill Snyder is the only football coach. ?

I’ve heard of him! I suspect because I have family in Kansas. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

Phillips was a violent, destructive abuser and murderer. 

I DO wonder if he might have changed if he wasn't coddled as an athlete for most of his life.

I wonder the same thing. So many young men are given a chance through football and some of them have a really great story of overcoming poverty and abuse and other things, but then there are guys like Phillips.  I’m sure it’s hard to see when nurturing turns to coddling but clearly he was given a pass for things that he shouldn’t have been given. 

I was thinking about the thread where the college girl is missing classes to be there for the birth of a friend’s baby. And how missing the first few classes might mean she’s booted from class. It’s crazy that could happen in the same institution that coddles athletes. 

• Like 2

I am a rabid USC football fan, and I did not know the name. I mostly follow the PAC-12, though, and the teams that we play. I used to follow college football more broadly, but just don't have the time anymore.

• Like 1

???  Oh RootAnn!  You have made my day with this thread.  This is hilarious!  

I am not a college football fan but live in an area that lives and breathes their college football team.   I am so over the Scott Frost hype, and they haven't even had their first game.  It is going to be a long season...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rachel said:

I’ve heard of him! I suspect because I have family in Kansas. 

He is a good coach, but more than that, he is a class act. I have nothing but respect for him. Most people probably don't know him because they don't care at all about K-State, but he is worth knowing about both as a coach and as a person.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Like 2

For anyone who wonders why I admire him so much, you can read the first couple of paragraphs of the first link.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/snyders-letter-writing-touches-kinds-people/story?id=35992827

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2015-10-17/kansas-states-bill-snyder-sends-personal-letter-tcus-trevone-boykin

https://athlonsports.com/magazines/letter-bill-snyder-best-award-college-football

And when I was a student there, one of the football students was disrespectful to a teacher. Snyder found out about it. The next day, the student apologized in a suit and tie. My husband worked in the dorm where most of the athletes lived. He said there was an absolute difference between how the basketball and football players acted.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2018 at 9:46 AM, Annie G said:

I wonder the same thing. So many young men are given a chance through football and some of them have a really great story of overcoming poverty and abuse and other things, but then there are guys like Phillips.  I’m sure it’s hard to see when nurturing turns to coddling but clearly he was given a pass for things that he shouldn’t have been given.  

Another one of Nebraska's violent wacko football players is in the news. They gave him several chances but did actually suspend him indefinitely from the team (2004-ish).

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Another one of Nebraska's violent wacko football players is in the news. They gave him several chances but did actually suspend him indefinitely from the team (2004-ish).

Incognito has seriously decompensated since he retired from the Buffalo Bills. I think his relative success with the Bills after such awful behavior with the Dolphins made his sudden  retirement a serious blow to his coping mechanisms.

I hope he gets help before he hurts or kills someone or himself.

14 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

SEC fan here and I’d heard the name, but didn’t know why.  

Regarding Incognito and others, anyone think this has something to do with CTE?  I read about Igcognito and my first thought was concussions.   

Maybe. But like RootAnn said...Incognito had issues back in his college days. 

I haven't seen an update about L Phillips' CTE status. I thought I read His family had asked for it to be looked for in his autopsy. 

And in other college football shameful news...Urban Meyer was suspended from coaching the Ohio State for first 3 days.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, unsinkable said:

I used to really enjoy football.

I'm just about done with it. The death of Jordan McNair has pushed me right to the brink. I'd like to see smirky Durkin's face off of any sideline anywhere forever

Quoting myself to add:

Maryland reinstated Durkin then fired him 24 hours later.

https://sports.yahoo.com/father-jordan-mcnair-relieved-surprised-maryland-fired-d-j-durkin-142056834.html

• Like 1