Menu

So how many pairs of shoes did your daughter take freshman year? lol

KarenNC

This made me laugh because I immediately remembered that right before I left for college myself, my mother had a complete freak out that I was planning to go to college - in New England no less - with a single pair of sandals and some doodled on cloth "Chinese" shoes. She was like, oh no, no no no. We had a whole spat about it as she bought me these hideous "duck" boots and... something else... I think she wanted to even buy me more and I was at the end.

The right number is probably somewhere in between these extremes!

• Haha 2

My daughter took a lot of shoes her freshman year of college.  She was a dance minor so she had tap, ballet, jazz, lyrical and character shoes.  Sneakers, rain boots, Uggs, dress boots, about 8 pairs of heels, a few pairs of sandals.  Think a big footlocker full of just shoes.  And she actually stopped home for additional shoes once or twice if she needed something specific.  

Ha, shoes add up!  More than you think.  My dd brought (approx.) a couple every day comfortable shoes, tennis shoes, fall boots, winter boots, sandals, slippers, dress shoes and fancy shoes.  And probably one or two other pairs as well.  That's at least 11 pairs!

HA! Freshman year, my daughter only packed a few pair of tennis shoes, a pair of flip-flops and one pair of sandals. I was like, noooooooooooooo, and we went shoe shopping and bought 6 or more more pairs of shoes - plus I made her pack a couple of dressy sandals and a pair of heels. Last summer, she stored most of the shoes over the summer, but this year she brought many of them back home. "Mom. I just do not need that many pairs of shoes in my dorm."

I'm not sure she's really my daughter... ??

Shoes do add up and take up space. Last year my daughter took a pair of everyday boots, snow boots, sandals, heels, high tops, running shoes, shower flip flops, slippers, and 2 pairs of dress shoes. I think that she has since added another pair of boots and pair of flip flops taking her to 11 pairs. And for years I kept her to two pairs: winter shoes and summer sandals. 

We just dropped Dd of yesterday and she had 2 of those hanging shoe racks full. Many of the shoes were new (along with new business outfits.) She didn't take anywhere near that many shoes last yr as a freshman, but she will be working about 18 hrs a week for an accounting internship and dress is business formal. She now has brown, black and navy dress heels and flats (multiple black pair). She also has a couple of pair of tennis shoes, muck shoes (she bought these specifically after wet feet in class multiple times last yr), and a pair of dress shoes for their fall formal.

Otoh, the amt of clothes she took is about 1/2 even though she had to pack so many business outfits. She has a washer and dryer in her apt this yr and says she will just do laundry more often and  will swap seasonal choices over break.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, amathis229 said:

On Wednesday, my freshman SON took 13 pairs of shoes. He was most concerned about transporting them! We bought one of those hanging shoe bags with the pockets, filled it with shoes, and then laid it across the top of all his boxes. His roommate brought 3 pairs.  

My ds also took a lot of shoes. More than I took back in the day for sure. He had duck boots, casual dress shoes, dressier dress shoes, flip flops, slides, and then probably at least five pairs of athletic shoes. He is not a big shopper or into fashion but he had a habit of checking Ross weekly for sale shoes and collected quite a few. There are shoes for basketball, running, casual athletic shoes for everyday, beat up shoes for any messy activity. Probably good he has an assortment as his campus is large and he will be walking and it also rains a lot so he will probably have wet ones drying out from time to time. 

I didn’t have a lot growing up and spare shoes would have never been a thing. When he was packing shoes I did have one of those moments of thinking my kids are very privileged even if they would never think so. Lol

Now my junior is extremely frugal. He has been talking about needing new sneakers for months. When I picked him up from school in May his roommate was teasing him about his smelly beat up shoes and told him not to bring those back worth him. The kid worked worked three jobs all summer and saved up enough to pay all his bills this coming year. Last night I took him to Kohl’s and bought him some shoes. He would have worn those awful shoes until Christmas. 

• Like 2

Mine took shower shoes, a few pairs of flip flops, several sandals (she's at the beach), couple pair of sneakers, combat boots (which she lives in year round), dressier boots, short hiking boots (they're waterproof--we pushed those since she wouldn't take her rain boots), several pair of flats, a pair of black sneakers for backstage work, and a pair of comfortable black steel-toed work shoes she had since she's taking a tech theatre class with lab hours in the shop.

I tried really hard to get her to let me buy a pair of duck boots for her but she was having none of it. ? It's supposed to rain a good bit this coming week, so we'll see if she is prepared shoe-wise. She does have an umbrella, poncho, and raincover for her backpack, so the rest should be okay.

Note: this is just for now and doesn't include her *winter* shoes---she'll be swapping out the sandals and flip flops for some of her several pairs of boots later in the semester. I didn't actually fully realize I'd given birth to Imelda Marcos! I did push buying some flats after she tore her feet up trying to do a college tour in heels a couple of years ago. All of the shoes she had earlier were primarily variations on boots (almost all combat-style) or high heels.  I insisted she have something she could actually walk in that would be appropriate for a dressier/more professional occasion.

Edited by KarenNC

I remember moving in to my freshman dorm, and my uncle commenting on my shoes. I had thrown all of them into a trash can (large bathroom size, not quite kitchen size), and they completely filled it up. I remember his face being so shocked, and his incredulous voice saying, "That's a lot of shoes..." Probably about 15-20. 

My oldest isn't moving into a dorm yet, but she'd probably want to take no more than 2 pair.

• Like 1

Note to my offspring:  I will not make you take more shoes than you want to take with you.

Likely dd#1 will take one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of shower flip flips, her knee high boots (maybe) and her sandals. She has no dress shoes - she always borrows mine. :wink:  Back in the day, I brought one pair of tennis shoes and my winter boots. Done.

I can't recall how many shoes my daughter took to college (perhaps five or six pairs with my added encouragement); I recall she picked up some rain boots while there.  I do remember her mentioning that one of her roommates brought a lot of shoes.  Said roommate is the reason my daughter now knows the word flats.

Regards,
Kareni

I think I took 3 or 4 pairs: hiking boots (all-purpose closed-toe shoe), sandals (general all-purpose shoe), and church shoes (either black flats or black dress boots), plus I sometimes had running shoes. That's pretty much what I have now  - I still have and wear my college hiking boots and dress boots, actually - except that I have *both* black flats and black dress boots, plus a few special occasion shoes that don't get worn much.

But I did have more shoes when we lived up north - needed snow boots and nice winter boots, too.  Idk what my dds will do - right now I make sure they have one good pair of sandals, closed-toe shoes, and church shoes (plus up north they had a pair of snow boots and a pair of dressy boots - being down south again makes for less shoe buying).  So far they are happy if they have one of each that fits - Idk if they will ever want to use their own money to fill things out.

Three.  One pair of hiking boots that she wears almost all the time, one pair of sandals, and one pair of dress shoes.

My son is taking two pair.  One pair of sneakers and a pair of sandals.  Those are all the shoes he owns.  We had to buy him long pants because he didn’t have any because stubborn teenage boy in California.  

I'm sweating this part.  Dd is procrastinating something fierce and we haven't even gotten to the clothes yet.  Not sure how everything will fit in our car.  I'm sure she will bring her Chuck Taylors, running shoes, Tevas, wedge sandals, dressy chunky heels, flip flops, two pairs of climbing shoes, and some cute ankle boots that she found on clearance.  I'm sure she will get her winter boots over fall break.  The only shoes she has for rain would be her Tevas and an old pair of Chuck Taylors.  I'm wondering if she needs rain boots.

Let's see--1 pair Nike's, 1 sandal, 1 black heels, 1 cowboy boots, 1 winter/lug sole boots, 1 pair really worn flats (because they are impossible to find! She has long toes, I guess)...does she have any more than that? hmmmm. Oh, maybe 1 pair thongs and 1 pair less-attractive/beat up sneaks. 

I had a ridiculous number of shoes at that age. Now I have hardly any. That's what being a SAHM for 13 years will do. I really need to go shoe shopping for my brother's wedding in 7 weeks because I have no flats appropriate to wear and tottering around in heels at 35 weeks PG would be a dumb idea. I'm just dreading the task whereas I once LOVED to shop for shoes.

Eight pairs, I think. And her college is not that far away, so dressy heels, snow boots, etc. did not go with her this trip: two pairs of Converse (black and white, of course ?), two pairs of athletic shoes (the not-so-cute running shoes and the much cuter ones for less intense activity), three pairs of sandals (Chacos, tan sandals, and black sandals) and some other pair that I can't remember—oh, I think shower flip flops.

Well, I saw Converses on her feet, other than that I don't know. Probably sandals, too. I was more focused on the proper documents and household-type supplies to think about her clothing. I'd been trying to get her to buy more shoes all summer but she is very picky. I think she will find something there when she sees what everyone else wears. I know she will need some kind of fall boots for the rain and cold. Fortunately there are tons of nice shops within walking distance of her dorm. I'm actually a little jealous of that aspect. She wants to play volleyball so I assume she brought all the required gear for that. Now you've got my wondering...did she remember her jacket? I haven't gone into her bedroom to see what's left. We were so rushed I imagine it's in quite a mess. The good news is she is only two hours away and we were planning to do a run up there with whatever she realizes that she needs in a week or two.

I brought 11 and bought 2 more this week. Granted a few are flip flops that I won't wear on campus, one is a pair of boots that won't get worn until it's cooler. I knew there would be more walking that my previous campus and brought some shoes to try. My Skechers are wearing out, I have 3 of those, of which 1 will probably get relegated to yard shoes back at home. I really hadn't planned on bringing that many, and a few are going to get donated if they don't perform well. For winter, I have about 4 pairs of boots I adore, so I'll bring those back when I take home some of the sandals.