Menu

How bad is it to miss class to take dd to college?

My classes start next week.  Dd's move-in day is Thursday, the second day of my anatomy and physiology class.  I am not missing taking my baby and best friend to college.  It is killing my to send her, despite knowing how great this is for her.  I NEED to be there for her.  I would have emailed the teacher by now, but they haven't updated Blackboard with any of the class information yet.  All of my previous classes had their syllibi uploaded 2 weeks before classes started.  

So, am I shooting myself in the foot to skip class?  

I took time out of prepping my blackboard site to answer :). 

If you really need to be there, it doesn't matter if you're shooting yourself in the foot does it? I had to miss taking dd back Wednesday because I had teacher training. I can't decide if I would find that a sympathetic excuse because I hated missing taking dd or if I would be unsympathetic because as a teacher I had to miss it. 

If you know who your teacher is, I'd go ahead and send an email, rather than waiting for blackboard, and see how they respond. Anatomy isn't a good class to miss, but most classes give a couple of misses free before penalizing.

I'm trying to find her email address.  She isn't answering the one on the school's site.  I have been reading ahead in the textbook (Anatomy and Physiology 2) but I don't fully know what will be covered without the syllabus.  A & P 1 last semester was pretty easy for me, but I thought the teacher was an easy grader.  The subject matter comes pretty easily for me (except for the biochemistry part ... we didn't do biochem way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.)

To be honest, I'd sooner drop out of school myself than miss taking my daughter to school. I am really struggling with her leaving.   Taking her there, helping her set up her room, going to all of the school's parent events (yes, this is my third kid, but these things help me feel connected and they help me network with other parents.)  Dd is in a single suite and hasn't heard a peep from her suite-mate, despite multiple attempts to contact her.  Dh would likely just drop her off and leave and turn his phone off or something bone-headed like that.  He doesn't get that some of us need this closure.  I really, really need to be able to hug her goodbye on that campus. 

I probably sound like a drama queen, but this is a time that I have been looking forward to and dreading at the same time since we started working on getting her to college.  My best friend is moving away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

To be honest, I'd sooner drop out of school myself than miss taking my daughter to school. I am really struggling with her leaving.   

Since you feel that way, I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever the cost (it won't cause you to fail or drop-out) its worth it right? As soon as the teacher makes blackboard available, check what will be happening and contact the teacher, but otherwise, try to let it go. Some things are worth it!

2 minutes ago, Mom22ns said:

Since you feel that way, I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever the cost (it won't cause you to fail or drop-out) its worth it right? As soon as the teacher makes blackboard available, check what will be happening and contact the teacher, but otherwise, try to let it go. Some things are worth it!

That may sound like hyperbole, but the program I plan to apply to is very competitive (only take 18 out of 100 applicants).  And I need this class this semester in order to take my classes next semester. Sigh.