Menu

My neighbor’s dumb@ss dogs

sassenach

JAWM

Our neighbor adopted 2 yappy dogs about 4 months ago. After a few weeks to settle in, we had our first conversation. She would leave the dogs out when she left and they would literally bark non-stop, with their  noses under our fence. She was also letting them bark at 6:30 in the morning. Our bedroom window is right along our shared fence. After the first conversation, she stopped leaving them out when she left. She said she would do something different in the mornings. Some weeks later, after being woken up at 6:15 every morning for a week, we had our second conversation. Her excuse was that she gets up every morning at 5:30 and they’re just “yipping.” Well, I don’t get up at 5:30 and I don’t appreciate being woken by nuisance barking. She now takes them for a walk and we’ve only been woken a handful of times. Cut to this week, I have been woken up twice by them barking at MIDNIGHT. Wth? Why would she let her dogs do that? 

I hate being the nagging neighbor! I don’t want to keep b*tching at her about her dogs. I am going to wait this one out and hope it’s a fluke, but my sleep is precious and I will have to say something if this keeps happening. Why are people like this?

• Like 3

I think you’re wise to wait a few more days and see what happens before you make a fuss. The dogs might not be feeling well this week and might need to go outside an extra time late at night, and once all is well again, things might go back to normal. It’s not that easy to let dogs out in the yard for a few minutes and keep them from barking. How long is she leaving them out there?

• Like 2

Do you live in a densely populated area? Unfortunately, while it is annoying, this is fairly common in our populated area. You could try continuing to talk to her or calling animal control, but we have not had a lot of success with animal control in our unincorporated part of the county. Thankfully, we are not in this situation currently (although we have been multiple times in the past), but there are many noises from neighbors such as revving engines, music from late parties, smoke from fire pits, work vans warming up at 6am, dogs barking outside, etc. that do wake us periodically at all hours. We've just accepted that it is part of living so close to others in a populated area and we all have to deal with it or move more rural. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but reality for our area.

Edited by FairProspects
  • Like 2

It does suck.

but As far as “letting them bark”, it’s not like anyone can control that. She can take them back inside but can’t really “make” them stop barking, anymore than you can make a kid stop crying.

For animal control I don’t know what your neighborhood quiet hours are, but here, garbage trucks, school busses and barking dogs are all on the roads by 6:15 making noise. No one would bat an eye at that. Sorry

It was just as bad when we lived rurally, btw. Other early morning noises there like chainsaws running. 

Our solution to neighborhood noises is sound machines or fans near the beds, and earplugs  on party nights.

oh sorry, I missed the JAWM

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

It does suck.

but As far as “letting them bark”, it’s not like anyone can control that. She can take them back inside but can’t really “make” them stop barking, anymore than you can make a kid stop crying.

For animal control I don’t know what your neighborhood quiet hours are, but here, garbage trucks, school busses and barking dogs are all on the roads by 6:15 making noise. No one would bat an eye at that. Sorry

It was just as bad when we lived rurally, btw. Other early morning noises there like chainsaws running. 

Our solution to neighborhood noises is sound machines or fans near the beds, and earplugs  on party nights.

I have trained all my dogs for years and years not to bark.  You train them just like you train them not to jump up on you or anything else.

There are bark collars for those who don't know how to train dogs.  I am not a fan of them but if someone doesn't want to train, they certainly will do the training for you. 

• Like 8

Ear plugs is what I suggest for the early morning.  We have an annoying dog neighbor. They used to have him outside all day and all night.  He has gotten older and now they allow it inside.  Fortunataly, our houses are far enough away, and  I have gotten used to it too.  But I have had noise problems in many areas both rural and city.  I am now more deaf but if it is a day when my hearing is better (half of my hearing loss is conductive and depends on how clogged my eustachian tubes are), and the frogs are making noises, or the dogs, or the birds (as I am an insomniac too I have learned the birds you do not expect sometimes sing in the night), or whatever, I put in ear plugs.  So ear plugs or white noise machines is what  I suggest.

\

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

It does suck.

Lol, girl! I was wondering.

Bark collars are instant. We've trained our lab not to bark using one. It takes a few days at most for them to figure it out. I get that some people are opposed, but I'm not one of those people. Our dog doesn't even wear the collar anymore because once the habit was broken, he didn't need it. 

We do live in a populated area, but 2 dogs barking INTO our window is way above and beyond our normal neighborhood noise. In fact, our neighborhood is pretty quiet considering how close the houses are.

• Like 5

Our city and county both have ordinances about barking dogs. They have guidelines for how to handle it and specific forms for tracking time of day, length, etc. They always suggest starting as you did, by talking face to face. But if the issue can’t be resolved and meets the criteria, animal control will get involved. If it’s breaking the law, I don’t think you should have to tolerate it. Dogs can be trained and people need to be aware of issues like barking when they choose their dog. We live in a densely populated area and most people own dogs. But problems with barking dogs are usually resolved rather quickly, as there is low tolerance for it. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

hmm- I wonder if that would work for me.  the neighbor has the most obnoixous arrfy dog.  (I've wondered where the coyotes are . . . . )  he sits at the end of my driveway and barks at us as thought we're invading his territory - despite lots being big on my street.

they don't generally let it out in front anymore - unless they're with it.  but they leave at like 6am, and off it goes . . .

It's a JAWM, so I'm just going to ask the posters talking about training... 

How do you train a dog not to bark when you don't want them to, but not train them to refrain from barking all together?  I want my dog to bark when dogs are supposed to bark.

<----- Yippy dog owner who responds to her dog's needs, but he doesn't always indicate what they are, lol.

It's not nearly as easy to teach a dog not to bark as many people try to make it seem.

Most dogs can be taught relatively easily to not bark when their people are present. That does NOT mean the dog understands not to bark when their person isn't present.

I'm not anti-bark collar. But I would never use one and say I had "trained" my dog. No way. The collar is doing what little "training" is going on in that situation. And I say that as someone who has used one and would do so again if necessary.

OP, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. You might check into your municipality's noise ordinances and see if there's any potential help there.

3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

It's a JAWM, so I'm just going to ask the posters talking about training... 

How do you train a dog not to bark when you don't want them to, but not train them to refrain from barking all together?  I want my dog to bark when dogs are supposed to bark.

<----- Yippy dog owner who responds to her dog's needs, but he doesn't always indicate what they are, lol.

I wouldn't try to teach the dog specifically not to bark, but I'd work on teaching it to cease barking when I gave a command like "Quiet" or "Enough" or whatever you want to call it.

Barking and growling are big parts of how dogs communicate (and the only parts that many people understand). I don't believe in taking those away.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

It's not nearly as easy to teach a dog not to bark as many people try to make it seem.

Most dogs can be taught relatively easily to not bark when their people are present. That does NOT mean the dog understands not to bark when their person isn't present.

I'm not anti-bark collar. But I would never use one and say I had "trained" my dog. No way. The collar is doing what little "training" is going on in that situation. And I say that as someone who has used one and would do so again if necessary.

OP, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. You might check into your municipality's noise ordinances and see if there's any potential help there.

I wouldn't try to teach the dog specifically not to bark, but I'd work on teaching it to cease barking when I gave a command like "Quiet" or "Enough" or whatever you want to call it.

Barking and growling are big parts of how dogs communicate (and the only parts that many people understand). I don't believe in taking those away.

I agree it’s not easy to train a dog not to bark when it’s people are not present. But if barking is a problem when its people are gone, then it probably needs to be inside during those times.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Frances said:

I agree it’s not easy to train a dog not to bark when it’s people are not present. But if barking is a problem when its people are gone, then it probably needs to be inside during those times.

Definitely.

But in apartments, condos and townhouses that doesn't make much difference. It's the main reason why I'm not against the use of bark collars. I'd much rather see someone use one of those than to have to try to re-home a dog or dump it at a shelter.

Edited to clarify: I don't think bark collars should ever be a first step--those who use them as a first step are in my opinion lazy good for nothing people who shouldn't own a dog. IMO a bark collar shouldn't even be a second or third step. If you live in a detached house then of course bring the dog inside. That's common sense 101. Work on teaching a quiet/no bark command. And do everything else you can to minimize/eliminate barking when the dog is alone--close the curtains and/or blinds, leave something on for white noise so the dog won't hear everything outside, exercise the dog well before you leave, leave it with a yummy chew toy, use a crate if it helps, etc. But when all else fails and a dog's barking is causing neighbor issues I have no problem with bark collars being used.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I have trained my dogs not to bark at the neighbors - the most common cause of unnecessary and annoying barking in my experience.  I do that with a combination of introducing them to the neighbors, teaching the neighbors how to interact with them in some cases and correcting them immediately every single time they start to bark at them.  None of my dogs over the years have ever had confusion over whether they should bark to alert me of strangers.  I do teach them to stop barking at strangers once I have met the person at the door (or whatever) and give an "ok" command to the dog.  And none of my dogs have ever had trouble with barking when I am not there.  (I have specifically asked my neighbors esp. at first in training to make sure that is the case.) 

• Like 1

I absolutely know what you are talking about.  If you can't get the neighbor to make some changes, and you don't have noice ordances to back you up,  you might have to make some changes yourself.  2 houses ago, we used a box fan, the bathroom fan, an ornamental water fountain, and foam in the window.  1 house ago, we did the same things, minus the foam, plus a sound machine.  A dog's bark has many wavelengths, so you need to use multiple white noise sources to mask the barking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Does this work? We have yappy dogs next door that scare GW with their noise. My neighbor lets them out during normal waking hours so I haven't said anything but I'd do this if they wouldn't even know.

1 minute ago, chiguirre said:

Does this work? We have yappy dogs next door that scare GW with their noise. My neighbor lets them out during normal waking hours so I haven't said anything but I'd do this if they wouldn't even know.

I don't know.  I have heard of other people talk about it but I haven't done it myself and i never heard definitively if it worked for them. 

• Like 1

To be fair, I think if I complain, she’ll be mindful of the late night barking. It’s not that she hasn’t been responsive (even if it does come with excuses). My big complaint is that I don’t feel like I should have to complain. I’m extremely mindful of my own dog’s barking and would never let him out to bark at midnight, especially if I knew there was already existing issue with disturbing the neighbor’s sleep. That’s all. 

• Like 5

DO NOT worry about being “that neighbor.” You have to annoy her more than her own dogs or she won’t be motivated to deal with them. Normal neighborhood noises are one thing, but incessant barking is not something to tolerate and doesn’t fall into that category. She can just walk them every day or not let them out alone  .  It’s a pain for you, but less of a pain than waking up during your prime sleep hours. 

• Like 2

Check your city website to see what the noise ordinance and pet ordinances actually say. Here a yapping dog for any length of time between 10pm-7am is a ticket, third ticket is seizing the dog.  And for longer than 10 minutes during the day is the same. I would absolutely be that neighbor if she left her dogs outside all day long.  That's not okay, especially not in town.

• Like 3

In our city, we can complain about dog barking through an on-line system. The city knows who makes the complaint, but the household with the barking dog does not receive the name of who makes the complaint.  It is effective. We've had to do this a few times with one neighbour. The dog owners tend to laps back into bad behaviour after a time of more respectful habits, so we keep sending the complaints. They seem to respond more to fines than their own dog barking. ?

• Like 2

On 8/17/2018 at 12:23 PM, Hilltopmom said:

It does suck.

I can have all of those going and still hear.  I am a very light sleeper.  I don't mind car noises going by as that doesn't seem to bother me, but barking dogs right outside my window?  Nope, there isn't a fan in the world strong enough or an earplug thick enough to keep that noise out.....and parties at the neighbor's house with loud music and shouting?  Nope.....I am up.

It is rude and inconsiderate.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2018 at 1:52 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have trained my dogs not to bark at the neighbors - the most common cause of unnecessary and annoying barking in my experience.  I do that with a combination of introducing them to the neighbors, teaching the neighbors how to interact with them in some cases and correcting them immediately every single time they start to bark at them.  None of my dogs over the years have ever had confusion over whether they should bark to alert me of strangers.  I do teach them to stop barking at strangers once I have met the person at the door (or whatever) and give an "ok" command to the dog.  And none of my dogs have ever had trouble with barking when I am not there.  (I have specifically asked my neighbors esp. at first in training to make sure that is the case.) 

Yes,and yelling at them doesn't work.   They think that you are barking too, and you two are having a happy barking moment, so they continue.   Better is the dog whisperer Zst sound.   

Although that would just put their barking dogs out back aren't the people that would properly train their dog anyway.  

• Like 1

I don’t have a great solution but a story...I sleep with earplugs because noises really bother me at night. My husband is a pretty deep sleeper. One night I was super tired and could hear a dog barking but it was kind of muffled by the earplugs. I kept thinking “Who is being so rude to leave their dog outside?” Then I heard a weird noise in our hallway. I got up and met my oldest son who had gotten up to let in our dog who we had forgotten to let in before we went to bed. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wouldn't it be weird if you started running her dogs, taking them for walks, throwing them snacks and treats over the fence??

I'm no help.

We have the same sort of issue except the yard isn't right next to our house, they are at the house next to the house in back of us. We can hear these two little dogs yip yapping any time of day or night and I think they are far enough away that we've gotten used to it. They are let out late for 15 to 30 minutes. yap yap yap. yap. yap yap. you know the routine! Dumb @ss dog owner not dogs, IMHO.

In our town there are noise ordinances, and that includes barking dogs.  I call the police if it goes on for more than a couple nights at the same house.  I've called the police many times over the years for barking dogs, and they go right over to the house.  But then again, we're a small town and the police don't have a lot to do in the middle of the night!

It isn't always that easy to train a dog not to bark if they're true barkers.  We always took really good care of our dogs, took them to obedience training, worked with our neighbors and mailmen on how to deal with our dogs and give them treats, etc. etc., but some of our dogs were just barkers, especially our collie.  There was absolutely nothing we could do about it.  But, we were responsible and always went outside with him (then he was okay!) and wouldn't leave him outside alone.  

I don't get mad at the dogs;  I get irritated with their owners who don't even think about how their dog's barking might be bothering the neighbors.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Reefgazer said:

Would a white noise machine be a solution?  Bonus is it douses all sounds, not just yippy dogs.

I highly doubt it.  Little dogs have a "very special" pitch that, at least to me, breaks through everything and hits the core of the soul! I have my fan running all night, plus a LOUD chorus of cicadas, crickets, and various other bugs, and my dog's voice can easily pierce right through all that.  It can help with the big dog barks from the other side of the neighborhood, but not with my chi-mutt right here.

• Like 1

We have three dobermans across the street in a tiny yard.  They bark at everything when they're out.  A neighbor a block away jogging, the small child walking home from school, and every person who goes to get their mail at the 45 slot neighborhood mailbox right next to their property.  They bark when the owners are sitting on their patio, they bark when the owners tell them to stop.  They bark when the nice neighborhood girl who knows the dogs goes to pet them because they are scaring the four year old girl who went to get the mail with her mom.  They not only bark, but put their paws on the four foot fence to growl and bark in your face because the sidewalk is right there also.  Thankfully, the owners tend to not let them be outside for extended periods of time and are usually good about bringing them in at night, but yesterday, the owners were gone all day and let them be outside to bark at everything.  They have bark collars on because I also hear a small whine every time they bark at me but they obviously don't work.  Honestly, large muscle dogs that won't listen to their owner scare me-- they do get out occasionally and I will tell dd to come inside because I don't trust these dogs at all.  One came rushing at me when I was mowing the lawn.  The owner was calling for it to come back, but it was ignoring the owner.  I tilted the lawn mower in the direction of the dog fully intending to use it if he got too close.  Thankfully for both of us, the dog got distracted and ran somewhere else.  

Edited by bethben
  • Like 1