Menu

My dad's funeral is this weekend.

barnwife

Even just typing that hurts my heart. He has been fighting cancer for about 15 months. I know we are very, very lucky that he made it this far after diagnosis. And yet it still sucks. It's still hard.

Oh, and there's one more thing. My FIL's funeral is next week. His death was completely unexpected.
Sometimes life isn't just hard; it's really, really, really hard.

Eternal rest grant unto them and let perpetual light shine upon them.

(We are about to leave so I may not check this post for a while, but just getting this out here is helping me grieve.)

• Sad 26

I'm so very sorry.

You're not going to believe this, but 8 years ago my FIL died unexpectedly in a car accident, and 12 hours later my dad died in hospice.   It was a shocking and difficult time in my life.   I could not wrap my head around it at the time.  In the morning I had to wake my 6 year old dd up and try to explain the whole thing to her.   DH and I were spent after dealing with my dad's illness for 18 months.   

And yes I was so lucky to have my dad that long, but still, it's just such a draining situation to find yourself in.

I wish I had better advice, but just keep on keeping on, one minute at a time.   Try to not get overwhelmed by the situation.  I got through it, and you will too.   Great big, huge, cyber hugs to you.

• Sad 11

25 minutes ago, barnwife said:

Even just typing that hurts my heart. He has been fighting cancer for about 15 months. I know we are very, very lucky that he made it this far after diagnosis. And yet it still sucks. It's still hard.

Oh, and there's one more thing. My FIL's funeral is next week. His death was completely unexpected.

(We are about to leave so I may not check this post for a while, but just getting this out here is helping me grieve.)

Yes, sometimes life is super hard.  My dad died suddenly in May.  We were going to visit him in July.  My sister fell off the wagon yet again and got into trouble with the law.  My stepdad was put into hospice on father's day...and my mom fell and had a subdural hematoma.  Stepdad died while she was in ICU unconscious.  Dh's grandma died the next day.  Mom was in hospital 5 weeks.  We finally did my stepdad's funeral.  His best friend died the next day.  I am over funerals at the moment.  I am over estates and wills and family drama.  I have been gone over 10 weeks this summer handling it all.  Been home 24 hours and summer is almost over.  It's almost like a dream.  But then all the emotions come rolling in.  Life is hard.  But sometimes it's beyond hard.  

Sorry for your multiple losses.  I completely understand how you feel right now.  Hang in there.  

• Sad 11

50 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I am so sorry for your loss 

41 minutes ago, Zebra said:

I'm so very sorry.

You're not going to believe this, but 8 years ago my FIL died unexpectedly in a car accident, and 12 hours later my dad died in hospice.   It was a shocking and difficult time in my life.   I could not wrap my head around it at the time.  In the morning I had to wake my 6 year old dd up and try to explain the whole thing to her.   DH and I were spent after dealing with my dad's illness for 18 months.   

And yes I was so lucky to have my dad that long, but still, it's just such a draining situation to find yourself in.

I wish I had better advice, but just keep on keeping on, one minute at a time.   Try to not get overwhelmed by the situation.  I got through it, and you will too.   Great big, huge, cyber hugs to you.

I’m so sorry, Zebra. Sometimes I think the hardest part of all of it is having to tell our kids that someone they love has passed away. It’s just awful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I'm so very sorry for your losses. I lost both of my parents within seven weeks of each other - there are no words.

I thought of you recently when I read an article in the newspaper about a man and his wife dying within weeks of each other. It’s just so unbelievably sad. My parents died within 10 months of each other, and that was so hard to deal with, but the idea of only days or weeks between deaths is almost unimaginable.

I know one poster here who lost both parents in an accident when she was just a teenager, and it makes me cry every time I think of her having to go through that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tess in the Burbs said:

Yes, sometimes life is super hard.  My dad died suddenly in May.  We were going to visit him in July.  My sister fell off the wagon yet again and got into trouble with the law.  My stepdad was put into hospice on father's day...and my mom fell and had a subdural hematoma.  Stepdad died while she was in ICU unconscious.  Dh's grandma died the next day.  Mom was in hospital 5 weeks.  We finally did my stepdad's funeral.  His best friend died the next day.  I am over funerals at the moment.  I am over estates and wills and family drama.  I have been gone over 10 weeks this summer handling it all.  Been home 24 hours and summer is almost over.  It's almost like a dream.  But then all the emotions come rolling in.  Life is hard.  But sometimes it's beyond hard.  

Sorry for your multiple losses.  I completely understand how you feel right now.  Hang in there.  

Thats just terrible, Tess. I can’t even imagine it. I don’t even have any words. I’m so, so sorry.

I am so very sorry. Losing a parent no matter how prepared or no matter what age is overwhelming and so hard. I lost my dad suddenly a few years ago on his birthday. I am still waiting to feel "normal" again as he meant the world to me. All I could do was tackle each day independently and focus on what was in front of me. Soon there were many days behind me and I slowly began to heal some and lift my head out of the fog.