Menu

Let's try this again- 2nd poll attempt

Peaceseeker

What do you do if you find someone's lost driver license on a public sidewalk?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when you find someone's lost drivers license on a public sidewalk?

• Stick it in the mail to the address on the license
    • Take it to the local police or DMV
    • Leave it where you found it
    • Obligatory other, feel free to explain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/18/2018 at 04:00 AM

I think I would mail it to the address on the license...however, I once found a medical insurance card in a used book I bought and I called the insurance company to see what they wanted done with it. 

Frequently I have to ask people at my job to show me their license and about 20% of the time they will say it is not the correct address. So, there's that too.

The police or DMV would likely shred it, wouldn't they?

I think I'd call the nonemergency police line because it might have been tossed aside during theft. They might like to know where it was found. 

Also, the person may not live at that address now, if they are a student, are in the military, or moved recently.

I try FB/internet first.  Once we found all of someone’s important documents.....SS card, passport, license, practically a whole purse. DH found them and the parents on FB, found a phone number for the parents on the internet, and even talked to the parents on the phone......but the person wouldn’t contact us to get their stuff.  Again I went to FB and realized we had a mutual “friend” who happened to go to church with the person so they contacted them and got permission for me to leave it with them.  

Other than that....our local DMV will call the person from a phone number of record and tell them where they can find it if you report a lost DL to them.  They’ve done that to me in the past.

• Like 2

If it was in a store parking lot I take a wallet inside to the manager.

If it was on a random sidewalk, away from a business, I might take it to the person's home and knock on the door, I might mail it to them, I might turn it into police.  It depends too much on other factors (neighborhood safety and intuition being the two biggest factors).  I'd be more likely to call police if I saw cash & credit cards gone from a wallet, but ID still there, less likely if cash & cards were still in wallet, having apparently been dropped instead of stolen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unsinkable said:

I'd take it to their house if it was within a reasonable drive or mail it if I couldn't drive it over.

2 hours ago, Sdel said:

I try FB/internet first.  Once we found all of someone’s important documents.....SS card, passport, license, practically a whole purse. DH found them and the parents on FB, found a phone number for the parents on the internet, and even talked to the parents on the phone......but the person wouldn’t contact us to get their stuff.  Again I went to FB and realized we had a mutual “friend” who happened to go to church with the person so they contacted them and got permission for me to leave it with them.  

Other than that....our local DMV will call the person from a phone number of record and tell them where they can find it if you report a lost DL to them.  They’ve done that to me in the past.

I would do these two things......drive to the address if it was nearby or if not try to locate them on FB or other on line means and see what address they wanted it mailed to. 

I think I would mail it to the address on the card.  Even if it is not their current address, it can likely be forwarded to their current address.  If not, they are not much worse off than if I had not mailed it, I don't think.

Try to reach the person by phone or internet. If not successful call police non emergency line.  I would not leave the license itself in street, but might leave a note with my contact where I found the license, in case person went back retracing steps trying to find it. 

This is just a license, no wallet or other stuff with it? That seems unusual.