Menu

BJU: what will be too hard for me to teach in high school? (no DLO/DVD)

My oldest has completed a few BJU literature and history courses at the high school level and I found the Teacher's Manuals were enough for me to teach those subjects.

Now my youngest is approaching high school and I would like to use more BJU but not sure if I can teach the other subjects like math, science and english/grammar (no dvd/dlo). 

What do you think? Any there subjects I really should avoid? I wasn't good at math/science at school and I've only learnt about grammar through homeschooling my own kids :smile: 

My experience in teaching BJU math/science at high school level (sorry, no experience with their grammar/comp books):

BJU science is good--books are visually appealing, nicely organized.  Very well done in that regard.  But I do not have a strong science background, and *I* struggled to teach and understand the books.  So did my humanities boys.  We opted to use DIVE science with BJU's Physical Science book (DIVE ICP) and also use DIVE Biology with the BJU bio text.  Someone else had to teach it, I was in over my head.  The BJU science books seem very detailed to me, and I couldn't process it all fast enough to teach it. The text really does assume someone with science knowledge is teaching it.  I needed more brain space to devote to teaching Algebra and Geometry. 

I have the older 90's editions of all of BJU's high school math, so I may not be helpful to you, but here goes: 

The Teacher's Manuals are great; answers *with solutions* are given, and there are tracks given for average and above average students.  I like the number of problems (not too much), and the page is easy on the eyes.  There is not scripted teaching given, but rather pointers of common mistakes to help students avoid, example problems to work;  once again, the assumption is that you are an experienced math teacher who already knows what ___ is.  Usually I was able to teach myself the concept using the teaching bits in the student book, and then working through the solutions until the lightbulb went off *for me*.  Then I tried to pass that moment on to my son.  He was ( and still is ) a very slow math learner, and the order of topics in the Algebra 1 book did not work *for him*.  I was doing fine. ;)  I felt the program was do-able, and I liked the amount of topics it covered.  The newer editions have more challenging problems added in, and I think it's very well done--every bit as meaty as public school texts in honors courses (according to a local math teacher I know).  I think it's a good course for the average and above average student and teacher who is willing to work hard at it.  Given my son's experience, I probably wouldn't recommend it for a struggling student or teacher who can't put some time into it.  I really like the geometry course (better than the Algebra, imo, but that could just be because I'm visual and like proofs).  

So, my short answer is: math can happen if you work hard at it, but find a way to outsource the science unless you really love it or have lots to time to learn to love it. ;)

• Like 1