Menu

Anyone used spelling you see with a 1st grader?

staceyobu

I'm wondering if it will be too much writing along with handwriting and WWE for a squirrelly little boy. I also think the squirrelly little boy might benefit from a lot of opportunities to practice writing.

Is it overkill for spelling for a 1st grader with a $53 price tag?

I used SYS (modified) for K last year and will probably finish up the level this year in first grade. I use multiple writing/handwriting resources and rotate/pair based on amount of handwriting and how much brain power is needed. Usually he does two writing things each day, not counting whatever writing he does in workbooks for other subjects.

If he's doing copywork (we were using SYS D which is three days of copywork) then he copies about four sentences a day and that gets paired with something that requires more thinking but less writing (or I scribe) like story ideas, lists, grammar, etc. If he's doing dictation (SYS D has two days of dictation each week) then he only does one sentence and that gets paired with something with more writing and composition.

I've only ever read through WWE but IIRC it's very gentle on the amount of handwriting. I would think it wouldn't be too much paired with SYS. But I would alternate SYS with whatever other handwriting program you're using, or wait until he doesn't need formation guiding anymore.