Menu

Walking away from your computer in a library. (Idle thought.)

SKL

This has been my predicament various times over the past 4 days.  I am working in a library for logistical reasons.  I'm here from, say, 10am to 2:30pm and I've had coffee.  You see where this is going?  I need to leave the room for a few minutes, but I hate to shut down my computer and bring it with me every time.  I don't think just leaving it here is an option.  I mean I'm in the "quiet study room" back in the corner, with about 3 or 4 other quiet adults doing their thing.  Most likely the computer would still be here when I returned.  But if it wasn't ... I can't afford to take the risk.

Would you leave your computer for 5 minutes, trusting that with multiple people in the room nobody would dare even think about snatching it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

No, I would not.  

Now, if it was, say, to go potty, and there was a library person in the room, I might ask if they can put it behind the desk.  Laptop in the restroom is just eww to me.  

Yeah, it's not only my laptop but also my coffee mug and water bottle.  Not ideal!

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I've been in a similar situation, at Starbucks, and I pick a person and ask them to watch it for me. Chances of me just happening to pick an untrustworthy person are pretty low. 

I close my laptop, so what I'm working on isn't available to others to see. And in mind, at least, a computer that has to be logged in to is less of a target than one that is already logged in. Then I ask someone to keep an eye on it for me. 

33 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I've been in a similar situation, at Starbucks, and I pick a person and ask them to watch it for me. Chances of me just happening to pick an untrustworthy person are pretty low. 

This is what I do. It’s common in our area. I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same in a library. 

I think I could leave it at my library, but I would prefer to ask someone nearby. The bathroom is at the end of the library near the exit, so chances are by the time someone decides I've walked far enough away that my stuff is fair game, I'll meet them on my way back. I'm sure a librarian would chide me if I told them.

If there isn't a lot of traffic in the area (like, if nobody has been by in an hour or so), I'd probably log off, and leave it there. Close the screen and put your bag on top of it.

Our library is not tiny. You have to actually leave the library to get to the bathroom. I'd probably take a string bag with me, and put the computer in that when I need the restroom. I'd leave the charger and everything else behind in the study room or on the study table.

2 hours ago, SKL said:

This has been my predicament various times over the past 4 days.  I am working in a library for logistical reasons.  I'm here from, say, 10am to 2:30pm and I've had coffee.  You see where this is going?  I need to leave the room for a few minutes, but I hate to shut down my computer and bring it with me every time.  I don't think just leaving it here is an option.  I mean I'm in the "quiet study room" back in the corner, with about 3 or 4 other quiet adults doing their thing.  Most likely the computer would still be here when I returned.  But if it wasn't ... I can't afford to take the risk.

Would you leave your computer for 5 minutes, trusting that with multiple people in the room nobody would dare even think about snatching it?

I lock my computer to the table in that instance, and take other valuables with me.

ETA I would also close it.  It has a password to access the contents.

Edited by Amy in NH

No. In a public library, absolutely not. I’d take it with me. I often use my work computer in public places, I just put it in Sleep mode with everything still open, close the screen and take it with me, if I need to use the restroom, etc. Easy to just reopen and everything’s there.