Menu

Toy Ideas for Almost 2 year old

Just Kate

I need help choosing a few gifts for an almost two year old girl that I’ve never met. 

I’m part of a foundation that works with families who have children who are going through severe medical issues. The foundation works with the family to provide (non medical) support. We look for a big project that we can do that will be meaningful for the family. For instance, this weekend we are celebrating the completion of an awning and new porch area for a boy and his family. The boy is on a ventilator and the family didn’t have a good way to get him outside. We worked with them to determine what would work and we made it happen! It is just a fabulous organization. 

Next week, I am taking the lead with a new family. An almost two year old little girl has been diagnosed with cancer. She is still very active and playful. At this time I have no idea what her prognosis is. During the first meeting, the foundation allows us to spend about $50-75 on toys for the little one. My kids are way past this age and I’m just not sure what to take. It would be great to find some items on amazon. 

I asked her mother what she enjoys playing with and here is her response:

She loves blocks and things she can interact with to build or destroy. She loves scooping beans and rice with cups and pretending to eat and drink. She has play food and pots and pans that she enjoys pretending with. Her absolute favorite thing is to raid the cabinets, drawers and pantry and to pull everything out of them. We are in a huge mess making phase right now. If there is a full box, it needs to be emptied lol.

Any thoughts on some fun toys I could order to take to my first meeting?

The Fat Brain Spinagain Toy is excellent for this age -- and it is unlikely they have it already. It is a "Build and take apart and build again toy" and has lasting power (my daughter was still fascinated at age 5 when we encountered it in a store)

https://smile.amazon.com/Fat-Brain-Toys-Kids-Spinagain/dp/B016F5QJQW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534428871&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=stacking+rocking+toy&psc=1

Here is play food you can cut apart, with a basket to put them in.  (though it says 3 and up so maybe a problem?)

https://smile.amazon.com/CoolToys-Vegetable-Cutting-Playset-Plastic/dp/B01M27BS1H/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534429081&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=picnic%2Bbasket%2Btoy&th=1

My daughter had this picnic basket and enjoyed it: https://smile.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Shapes-Sharing-Picnic-Basket/dp/B004560BPY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1534429161&sr=8-3&keywords=picnic+basket+toy  (it says 3 and up too but she got it for Christmas when she was age 2 and I can't think of anything that was a problem)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Thanks 1

A YouTube mom I follow (Jordan Page of Fun, Cheap or Free) recently recommended this Tickle Monster Laughter Kit on her channel. It has a book about a tickle monster and matching mittens so the parent can become the tickle monster.  I bought it for my toddler's birthday recently and he LOVES it. I just have to lift up the box and he starts shrieking and giggling.  It's my new go-to gift for toddlers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For her second birthday, Audrey got the play food that you cut apart (which was mentioned in a previous reply).  She could not, however, actually cut it independently at that age.  She is now almost 3, loves playing in her kitchen, and can cut the food herself, but it still isn't one of her favorites.

She has, however, for the last year LOVED her Fisher Price Piggy Bank.

Oh, and all of my kids have absolutely adored the Vtech Go! Go! Smart Wheels play sets.  Audrey got this one for Christmas last year, and it can be taken apart and put together over and over into different tracks.

Wendy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hilltopmom said:

I love the spin again- I do therapy with it for that age group, they all love it! Tickle monster is great too, she’ll grow into it.

if she likes blocks, I’d get a set of magnet tiles- pricey but everyone loves them!

Watch the age restrictions on the magnet tiles though.  I know of a child that swallowed a magnet that came out of a set like that and had to have surgery as a result. Not every 2 year old swallows everything, and it's possible they've stopped putting super strong magnets in those toys since (it's been several years), but if you combine a kid that eats everything with a destructive older sibling it might be a recipe for disaster.

Oh- I just googled.  I guess the rare-earth magnets that used to be in them were recalled in 2006, so they shouldn't be as dangerous now.

• Thanks 1

Those stacking block towers are fun too/ the ones that get smaller and smaller as they go up.

https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Nesting-Stacking-Blocks/dp/B00US8BZ1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534435440&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=stacking+blocks&dpPl=1&dpID=41ccsH7u6RL&ref=plSrch

Im trying to think of things she probably doesn’t  own already.

Id take a small bubbles container too- they are great for breaking the ice with toddlers!!!

But definitely get the spin again!

Edited by Hilltopmom