Menu

Latin - need some options, please

I can't seem to make the search feature work, grrrrrrr...

DS is heading into 9th, and had planned on a different foreign language, but I've just discovered he is very disappointed to be stopping Latin.  I'm not opposed to changing gears last minute and switching to Latin, but I don't have a lot of time for researching curriculum options this time around.  Any help would be appreciated.

We are looking for high school Latin, something with a visual component would be ideal, though I don't think he prefers an actual online class.  He's been doing the BBLL, and that worked well, though I think it's not credit-worthy, and is geared for elementary or middle school.  We need classical pronunciation as opposed to ecclesiastical, and we are secular.

I'm finding many options that work for one or two of our needs, but nothing that fits everything.  

Can anyone offer a magic bullet here?

My oldest two also used Cambridge Latin Course; they finished Books I-V with a tutor. They quite liked the online learning resources. They learned it well enough. DS is taking AP Latin this year, while DD doesn't feel ready, so she is taking an online Latin 3 class.

My third child is doing Lingua Latina with two other homeschoolers. It comes with student manual, exercise book, grammar supplement, etc. Perhaps you can take a look at that as well. (Classical and secular)

• Like 1

Not sure what your end plan is for Latin but thought I would mention in terms of entrance exams.  Dd did not do the A.P. but did do the SAT subject exam and received a high score.  Both of these curriculums were recommended options for the SAT and she used both.  FWIW, she felt Wheelocks was better preparation  for that exam.

Cambridge Latin, the website is good and she enjoyed it. Paid subscription in the US.  You can actually do the entire course without buying the books on the UK version of the website.

Wheelocks, there are exercises online that correspond to the 6th editition, I believe.  We had no problems using them with an extremely cheap 7 th edition. https://web.uvic.ca/hrd/latin/wheelock/index.htm

Edited by mumto2