Menu

Please help me name some sounds for my next video

ElizabethB

My next YouTube video I'm going to explain how to use my sound chart and how the sounds are grouped.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/Resources/40LChartsCombined.pdf

Peter Pan had some good names and I've thought of a few, but I still need names for the following groups:

1. f/v

2. th/th

3. ch/j

4. l/r

5. What do I do about Y?  Do I lump it in with something, how to classify.

Any kid friendly ideas for names? I'd like kid friendly, and if possible, alliterating.

Currently, I have thought of 1. fighters, 2. throwers (you throw your tongue out), 3. choppers or chirpers or jousters, 4. longer or reachers (L and R are complex sounds that you can say longer than most consonant sounds).

This is what I'm using for the others:

p/b: poppers

wh/w/h: huffers

t/d: tappers

s/z: hissers

sh/zh: shushers

k/g: coughers

r controlled vowels: pirates, arrrgh

The rest of the vowels are boring but good and covered!

Also, down the page, 1st row quiet cousins, 2nd row noisy cousins, 3rd row hummers, and in the corner, qu and x, "corner kids," stuck in the corner because they steal sounds from 2 other letters.

Thanks!

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Love your names so far! Tossing a few ideas into your "idea hat":

1. f/v =
   "lip-biters"
   "
lip blowers [f] & buzzers [v]"

2. th/th
   "tongue-in-teeth-ers"
   "threaders"  
[as in, threading the tongue between the teeth to make the sound] 

"thrusters"  [as in, thrusting the tongue forward between the teeth to make the sound] 

3. ch/j
   "chuggers" [like the steam train sound: "chug-chug-chug" / "jug-jug-jug"] 

4. l/r
   "tongue skippers"  [at least for L -- the tongue "skips" to the roof of the mouth
   "loll-ers" [or maybe "LOL-ers" (:D]  [mostly just because it gets both an L and an R sound it there... (:D]
   "skippers [L] & rollers [R]"

"aye-yi-yi, that crazy Y"

[shows 2 vowel sounds (E (end of "crazy") & I (in "aye") + "yuh" sound (start of "yi"), and indicates Y is changeable ("crazy")] 
   "E-I-E-I oh, that yappy Y!"

[plays off of "Old MacDonald" chorus, shows the 2 vowel sounds  (e & i) + "yuh" sound of Y ("yappy"] 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Love your names so far! Tossing a few ideas into your "idea hat":

1. f/v =
   "lip-biters"
   "
lip blowers [f] & buzzers [v]"

2. th/th
   "tongue-in-teeth-ers"
   "threaders"  
[as in, threading the tongue between the teeth to make the sound] 

"thrusters"  [as in, thrusting the tongue forward between the teeth to make the sound] 

3. ch/j
   "chuggers" [like the steam train sound: "chug-chug-chug" / "jug-jug-jug"] 

4. l/r
   "tongue skippers"  [at least for L -- the tongue "skips" to the roof of the mouth
   "loll-ers" [or maybe "LOL-ers" (:D]  [mostly just because it gets both an L and an R sound it there... (:D]
   "skippers [L] & rollers [R]"

"aye-yi-yi, that crazy Y"

[shows 2 vowel sounds (E (end of "crazy") & I (in "aye") + "yuh" sound (start of "yi"), and indicates Y is changeable ("crazy")] 
   "E-I-E-I oh, that yappy Y!"

[plays off of "Old MacDonald" chorus, shows the 2 vowel sounds  (e & i) + "yuh" sound of Y ("yappy"] 

Thanks!  I really like the chuggers, I can make a cute train chugging along to show that.  

In this case, it's the consonant sound of Y, and I don't know enough phonetics to figure out how to characterize it, but I have some phonetics books that I can look it up in and try to figure it out.

I actually have a separate video I'll be making about crazy Y and W, though, those are good ideas for that video!!  I already have one about W as a vowel, but I plan on doing a short recap of W and adding in Y as a vowel. 

I try to make as many videos as I can during the summer, it's harder to do them during the school year.  Even though I just release one video per month, it's a lot of work with everything else I've got going on.

• Like 1

Oo! I thought of a better one for L/R that would make for a very visual "cartoon":

"singers & cheerleaders"
singers (for L) sing "la-la-la" while practicing scales by a piano, and cheerleaders (for R) cheer "rah-rah-rah, sis-boom-bah!" while waving pom-poms

And how about "tongue-biters" for "th"?
Which could mirror "lip-biters" for "F/V" (although I think lip blowers and buzzers is more descriptive and perhaps easier to visualize...?).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I've seen a chart where they lump Y with EE, with your mouth in a smile position.  (That sets you up for pronouncing it correctly.)  For example, "yellow" is somewhat similar to "EE-ellow."  (with no breath-break in there -- it's all done in one blended exhale.)

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, Lori D. said:

Oo! I thought of a better one for L/R that would make for a very visual "cartoon":

"singers & cheerleaders"
singers (for L) sing "la-la-la" while practicing scales by a piano, and cheerleaders (for R) cheer "rah-rah-rah, sis-boom-bah!" while waving pom-poms

And how about "tongue-biters" for "th"?
Which could mirror "lip-biters" for "F/V" (although I think lip blowers and buzzers is more descriptive and perhaps easier to visualize...?).

I like singers and cheerleaders.