Menu

Beast Academy question

hjffkj

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how quickly your kids have gone through on of the guides and corresponding practice book?  I just started my dd in 2A and my son in 3A. From what I gather it is really all going to depend on how well they work out the problems, but I was just wondering what other kids have done.  My main reason for wondering is because I only bought the first books for each kid to test it out.  If it goes well I'll likely order the rest as they are getting close to finishing 2A and 3A, but I'd just like a rough idea of when that might be.

We are currently using it as their only math curriculum but may spend one or two days a week solidifying math facts, not sure yet. Any input would be helpful.  

9 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Well, I wish I could be more specific, but for my family it depended on the child and topic.

On average one of my children could go through 2 - 4 pages in one lesson; whereas, one of my children goes around 1 page per lesson. 

We are using it as our main program as well. 

hth

Thank you, that does help.  It is likely that is how my two kids will be. 

My oldest is my math dawdler, and he was going through it very slowly.  We actually switched to a more traditional curriculum this year for 7th for greater accountability with him.  The BA website says some may go through a few pages at a time, and some days might be a problem or two that is challenging.  They recommend 45 minutes a day.

4 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Obviously BA thinks it will be about one set a quarter and that has been true for my two users. It tends to slow down in some books and I think we will never get through but then, surprise! They are done. ?

See I'm looking through 2A and 3A and this lasting a whole quarter, if that is their only math, seems pretty slow.  But I guess we'll see.

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

See I'm looking through 2A and 3A and this lasting a whole quarter, if that is their only math, seems pretty slow.  But I guess we'll see.

You could be right, it had been a while since we worked through either if those. Dd is in fractions in 4C and I was just thinking we might still be here at Christmas! ?

• Like 1

My oldest takes about three weeks per chapter.  My second, two or three weeks, based on which topic she’s working on.  My third takes about a month per chapter, because he is my unschooler and chose to jump into Beast as a Ker.

They may complete anywhere from one to five pages per day, as the difficulty of the questions is highly variable.

• Like 1

My middle child started 3A as a supplement. Once she switched to BA as her main curriculum, she started to go more quickly. Schooling four days a week and taking breaks occasionally to focus on other things, here's the time she's taken per book:

• 3B-7 weeks
  • 3C-7 weeks
  • 3D-11 weeks
  • 4A-12 weeks
  • 4B-8 weeks
  • 4C-11 weeks
  • 4D-12 weeks
  • 5A-She's at 11 weeks and is about halfway through the last chapter of the book. I estimate she has 2-3 weeks to go.
  • Like 1

My girls end up doing roughly a book a quarter. Most chapters are around 3 weeks, some a little less, some a little more.

I've never used any of the level 2 books, and I don't remember whether 3A went faster than the other books or not, so I can't comment specifically on those - sorry!

• Like 1

We’re pretty laid back about how often things get done. My kid did BA3 is one year, averaging working on it about 3 days/week for 30 minutes/day. She did BA4 in about 3/4 of a year, also averaging 3 days/week. However, she had been exposed to some of the concepts previously due to her loving math and doing lots of mathy things on the side. She did BA5 in even less time, because she had previous exposure to even more of the topics in her other math reading.

So, that’s probably pretty useless information, given that her chosen supplementation meant that she beat BA to the punch half the time.

This is going to vary widely by child and topic.  I'd say probably expect around the intended 4 books per year, which is about 3 weeks per chapter or roughly 10 pages per week if you school 36 weeks per year.  But if you move at the child's pace, it might work out nothing like that.  Of my two who used Beast as their main math, they spent incredibly inconsistent and unpredictable amounts of time on the different chapters and problems -- as little as 9 days on an entire book or as much as a couple of weeks on a single page.

• Like 1

I gave up on trying to plan how quickly my first grader would go through the books so I just ordered the whole next years worth. However, he jumps around topics a lot and doesn't do every problem so it's useful for us to have a stockpile for him to rotate through as his interests shift.

• Like 1