Menu

Wedding Venue Deposit

goldberry

Yes, this sounds reasonable. Think of it this way - one reservation in a venue can impact the bottom line in a very substantial way. If one person has the venue reserved, it means no one else can reserve it - they don't have a back up plan for their income at that point. Cancellation 45 days out is a bit much - I've seen 30 days, but that might be dependent upon the market and the experience of the venue itself. It may be that 45 days out they are unlikely to book the venue for another event, their history would tell them that.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

Our deposit was 30% with a 30 day cancellation policy. The venue is the 2nd biggest expense for DD's wedding. It's crazy.

But if you cancelled PRIOR to the 30 days, do you get any of the deposit back?  I guess I'm surprised they are keeping the whole deposit.

5 hours ago, goldberry said:

But if you cancelled PRIOR to the 30 days, do you get any of the deposit back?  I guess I'm surprised they are keeping the whole deposit.

No, it was non-refundable. So 31+ days - lose the deposit; under 30 days must pay the full cost of the venue.

The liability for the porta-potty was similar except the deposit was 50%. Have you ever priced porta-potties? Did you know you can rent air-conditioned porta-potty trailers? No construction site portas for our wedding bums, no siree bob. For the price of the venue, the owner should install a couple of bathrooms with running water. Instead, the venue contract states porta- potties must be rented. I wonder if she gets a kick back from the porta-potty company? Which reminds me, the porta-potty is being delievered tomorrow one hour before I am supposed to meet the wedding party for manis and pedis. Who wants to take bets I get stuck at the barn and am either late for or completely miss my nail appt?

• Like 1

Nonrefundable deposit makes sense because it's unlikely that someone will take that time slot on very short notice.  People plan over a year in advance.  Nobody calls up and asks to reserve a venue for a wedding 3 weeks from today.  If nobody reserves, the rent / utilities / loan interest still have to be paid.

I would think they could be more generous about demanding 100% for a cancellation a month from now.  I suppose it is because they schedule employees and order linens etc.  I would think a business could be more flexible several weeks out, but to some extent it makes sense.

• Like 1

It's normal around here. For most event venues, for any kind of event, they expect a 30-50% non-refundable deposit 30-45 days out. And the rest is due 14-21 days out. Why non-refundable? People are wishy-washy, it's too risky to give refunds that close to the date as it can be hard to fill the spot, even for a popular place. 

• Like 1