Menu

Spanish 1 - BJU or ?

My 10th grade daughter is taking Spanish for her foreign language requirement. She is currently in her 2nd week of Spanish 1 lessons with Power Homeschool. I like the lady on the videos, but I’m afraid that my daughter isn’t going to learn enough since the videos are so short. I’m looking at other curriculum. This child has stated that she doesn’t want to do any “live” classes. She also doesn’t want to take Spanish with FL Virtual (even though her sister is taking French through there). There’s also the possibility of dual enrollment next year. After saying all that, what are other’s experiences with BJU? There’s a textbook with audio CD, or there’s the online or DVD option with a teacher’s videos.  Are there any other textbook options or recorded classes that y’all would recommend? We’ve homeschooled all along, but foreign language for this kid is making me crazy!

5 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

Visual Link Spanish is really good. It's a software download and my kids have learned a lot of conversational Spanish (level 1) as well as grammar and verb tenses (levels 2 and 3).

Thank you. I’m off to check that out. 

• Like 1

I’ve heard BJU Spanish is difficult to teach without a Spanish background. We used Breaking the Spanish Barrier and were happy with it’s clear explanations. Although I do know some basic Spanish, my daughter didn’t know any and went through the book on her own with only a question here or there. 

Mi Vida Loca on BBC is a fun addition to get some listening skills along with the grammar that a test will provide. 

My daughter has used BJU Spanish 1 online (Distance Learning) in connection with a weekly live tutorial class.  The class didn't require the DLO class, but I'd already bought it.  I think the DLO class helped her a lot actually.  I don't think the live class was nearly enough instruction.  It would be impossible to teach unless you knew Spanish yourself.  The textbook moves quickly to being all in Spanish, and the TM has very little along the lines of "How to Teach" (from the digital copy on my BJU account).  My dd has done some of the online exercises and assignments, but mostly watched the videos to supplement her 1 hour weekly tutorial.  She feels like the DLO class in itself might not be enough to get all she needed, but to be fair she never did that except for the last chapter that her live class didn't cover.  This year she's taking Spanish 2 through HSLDA (they also use BJU).  Veritas Press also has an online class using BJU (and their registration is still open), but I realize you said you didn't want a live class.  The good thing about the BJU DLO is it spells out day by day exactly what you need to do, and it includes listening exercises as well as written.  I'd recommend making sure you, the parent, grade every single assignment (this is my downfall with using BJU classes --I quickly get behind).  I think it could definitely work to do the self-paced BJU DLO as long as the student is diligent to do the work and the parent is diligent in keeping accountability and grading.  The quizzes and tests are all online and automatically graded; I'm referring to the exercises that have to be graded (or activity manual assignments).  Also, I think it would be very helpful to have someone to speak Spanish with on a regular basis if possible.  I have 2 friends that were high school Spanish teachers that my daughter has been able to occasionally speak with.  Hope that helps.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:30 PM, Srtepe said:

I’ve heard BJU Spanish is difficult to teach without a Spanish background. We used Breaking the Spanish Barrier and were happy with it’s clear explanations. Although I do know some basic Spanish, my daughter didn’t know any and went through the book on her own with only a question here or there. 

Mi Vida Loca on BBC is a fun addition to get some listening skills along with the grammar that a test will provide. 

20 hours ago, TCB said:

We used Breaking the Barrier Spanish too and it worked well for us.  My dd also did an hour a week conversation class with a Spanish speaker locally.

Thank you both for the Breaking the Barrier recommendation. I’ve never heard of it, so I will look it up.

18 hours ago, monalisa said:

My daughter has used BJU Spanish 1 online (Distance Learning) in connection with a weekly live tutorial class.  The class didn't require the DLO class, but I'd already bought it.  I think the DLO class helped her a lot actually.  I don't think the live class was nearly enough instruction.  It would be impossible to teach unless you knew Spanish yourself.  The textbook moves quickly to being all in Spanish, and the TM has very little along the lines of "How to Teach" (from the digital copy on my BJU account).  My dd has done some of the online exercises and assignments, but mostly watched the videos to supplement her 1 hour weekly tutorial.  She feels like the DLO class in itself might not be enough to get all she needed, but to be fair she never did that except for the last chapter that her live class didn't cover.  This year she's taking Spanish 2 through HSLDA (they also use BJU).  Veritas Press also has an online class using BJU (and their registration is still open), but I realize you said you didn't want a live class.  The good thing about the BJU DLO is it spells out day by day exactly what you need to do, and it includes listening exercises as well as written.  I'd recommend making sure you, the parent, grade every single assignment (this is my downfall with using BJU classes --I quickly get behind).  I think it could definitely work to do the self-paced BJU DLO as long as the student is diligent to do the work and the parent is diligent in keeping accountability and grading.  The quizzes and tests are all online and automatically graded; I'm referring to the exercises that have to be graded (or activity manual assignments).  Also, I think it would be very helpful to have someone to speak Spanish with on a regular basis if possible.  I have 2 friends that were high school Spanish teachers that my daughter has been able to occasionally speak with.  Hope that helps.

Thank you. It helps to read about other’s experiences with it. I did hear about a local homeschool mom who teaches Spanish at the community college, & she is available for tutoring. ? 

Thanks so much everyone!

• Like 1

The Visual Link Spanish software sounds perfect for my DD.  I am looking at ordering and wonder if I need the latest version or can save some money with a used product.  Also, I want her to have all the levels she need for Spanish I & II courses ( with additional supplementation). I've looked on the company website and on Amazon and still not real clear on exactly what to purchase.  Any help?