Menu

Geography help

lulalu

I have Maps Charts and Graphs A for 1st grade. Ds has done several lessons and loves it. I think he would finish it in a day if I let him. 

I am looking for something to add to our geography time. Map skills are covered by the workbook. So maybe something about a specific continent. Or cultures. Or would the Simply Charlotte Mason Visits to would be good? 

Or should I use the blob drawing that The Core talks about? Is that beneficial? Or just an extra un-needed thing to learn? 

Anyways, what all do you like to do for geography in early elementary? Ds is in 1st and 6.5. Geography is important to our family so a core for us. 

• Like 1

We enjoyed these "living book" Geography resources many moons ago when we did 1st/2nd grade, along with the Maps Charts and Graphs:
Maps and Globes (Knowlton)
Geography from A to Z (Knowlton)
- Usborne: People of the World; Houses and Homes -- cultural geography -- old and OOP, so likely want something more recent
Usborne Book of the Seas -- old and OOP, so likely want something more recent

I wish some of these early elementary books had been around when DSs were young:
Atlas of Adventures
- New True Books: Asia, EuropeAfrica, Australia & Oceania, South America, North America, Antarctica
Explore Earth's Five Oceans
As the Crow Flies
Me on the Map
There's a Map in My Lap
Mapping Penny's World
DK Children Just Like Me Sticker Book -- cultural geography

Geography websites:
Global Trek
National Geographic Kids
Ducksters Geography for Kids

Other things you may enjoy:
- student atlas
- globe; wall maps; map place mat
- online geography games or apps
- map/geography jigsaw puzzle

And if he finishes up the workbook and wants another one, these have a different spin than MC&G for some variety:
- DK Geography
- Evan Moore Daily Geography

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Around the world in 100 years is a great read aloud the covers explorers and how they gradually added detail and information to the maps.

A child’s introduction to the world is an ok read aloud.  If you do small sections for this age.

Elizabeth Hammils “over the hills and far away” is a good nursery rhyme anthology from different cultures and places.  It has gorgeous pictures.

You could also check out “give your child the world” for some good lists of read alouds by country.  

• Like 1

My first grader also does Maps Charts and Graphs. For cultural studies he does Torchlight's cultural/history book list (we didn't buy the schedule), Raddish Kids, plus we look up places on the world map or find you tube videos about topics as they come up in SOTW or other books.

• Like 1

Oo, these look interesting:
Around the World with Picture Books -- gr. K-3; program with 70 lessons
Usborne Sticker Picture Atlas of the World

Forgot one that DSs really enjoyed in the elementary grades -- they were really into the Search & Find types of books: The Kids' Fun-Filled Search & Find Geography Book (Tallarico) -- OOP, but available used at Amazon for under $10 + shipping.

• Like 1