Menu

Online classes without chat boxes or other distractions?

Our DD is pretty distractible, and has gotten frustrated just looking at sample online classes that have an ever-running chat box. We were looking at WHA, WTMA, etc but she just had so much trouble focusing... She's signed up for CAP/Scholé Academy Latin, and I'm hoping that will work well for her. Planning forward, I can't find any other (at least well-known or well-liked) online courses that don't have the chat box. Obviously, she's having to learn to work with all types of learning situations, but this is her first exposure to online learning, and I'd like to consider other courses for her to get acquainted to the platform. Any thoughts? Thanks! ? 

I think the chat bar is an important part of an online class. 

I teach math online and I can't imagine a class without student feedback and interaction.  I do a pretty good job of keeping the chat in line with what is going on in the class lesson and I do not allow private chatting between students.

My classes do not use webcam videos (totally unnecessary for Math and a HUGE distraction!!)--sure students can raise a 'virtual' had to ask questions- and my students can unmute to speak their questions/comments-- but the majority of students prefer to type their questions and responses in the chat.

From what you describe your daughter may be better served by pre-recorded classes that have email/tutorial help outside of the actual video lessons.

• Like 1

Art of Problem Solving has only text (no video, but there are figures put up by teacher), and the comments are moderated before they make it on the group screen.  Very LOW distraction level.

Lukeion has no chat - you enter your responses and the teacher sees them and may even comment/share with class but there’s no conversation with other students.

OnlineG3 is very strict about off-topic chat, and will call you out in front of the class if you are entering things which aren’t helpful/onpoint 

• Like 3

Thank you all! 

18 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I teach math online and I can't imagine a class without student feedback and interaction.  I do a pretty good job of keeping the chat in line with what is going on in the class lesson and I do not allow private chatting between students.

My classes do not use webcam videos (totally unnecessary for Math and a HUGE distraction!!)--sure students can raise a 'virtual' had to ask questions- and my students can unmute to speak their questions/comments-- but the majority of students prefer to type their questions and responses in the chat.

From what you describe your daughter may be better served by pre-recorded classes that have email/tutorial help outside of the actual video lessons.

Jann, I agree about the need for student feedback and interaction. Maybe it was the sample videos we looked at - it seemed many were recorded at the beginning of a class, and it was difficult for her to focus on what the instructor was saying while the students were typing short comments (both in regard to what the instructor was saying, and to each other) non-stop into the chat box.

For Spanish 1-3, La Clase Divertida locks out the chat box during class. You can raise your hand & talk on microphone to ask questions or answer them. He uses small room breakouts where you are open mic the whole time to practice speaking and complete any assignment he's given on the small room (2-4 kids) whiteboard.

He lets the kids chat in the chatbox before class starts & you can always send him a note privately during class. But, very low on the distraction front. (The teacher is a bit of an ADHD type, however, with definitely organizational challenges.) My DD#1 started as a 8th grader, FWIW.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, Jann in TX said:

I thought this, too, until we began the Lukeion classes: chat is enabled before and after class, the rest of the time what a student types is only visible to the instructor.  So far, so good.  DS prefers online chat boxes, naturally, but he is learning a good deal and doesn't dislike the classes.  And being able to type questions (as well as respond to them) and get immediate feedback is great for keeping him engaged.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Some teachers at  WTMA are great at keeping the chat on topic and to a minimum and others are not.  My ds has had a difficult time not being distracted by the chat box. This year he is doing delayed classes and hopefully the chat dialog is not included in the videos.

Look for asynchronous classes - they won't have chat boxes as the lessons aren't live. If you want to have deadlines and the work graded, then make sure they aren't self-paced, but you can find classes that aren't live and won't have that chat bar.

You can also close the chat bar in most interfaces. I will say that after moderating the herpetology classes, I am amazed at any teacher who keeps up with both live discussion AND chat in real time. It is about all I can do to keep up with the chat while DD does everything else.