Menu

Affordable yet effective brands for vitamins/supplements?

Dianne-TX

I know some people are very passionate about health products/brands and that's wonderful, however, I have to be a good steward of our finances and I want to be able to buy the best brand that's affordable, even if it's not *the* absolute best on the market.  I know there are some that are a total waste, but then there are some that are doable and just fine, but not what the purist would buy.  Thanks for any recs.  We have a Costco and Sam's membership if that helps.  I'm specifically looking for a good multivitamin for adults, teen children (17 & 15), and children (8 & 6).  Thanks! 

btdt - I prefer capsules to tablets.  I like to buy off amazon subscribe and save.

I found NOW capsules (NOT tablets) have generally been pretty good for the price.

source naturals and jarrow are also more affordable brands.  

what is most important is the molecular form.  if you have issues absorbing nutrients (I do) - you want as bioavailable as you can afford. (you will be using it - as opposed to excreting most of it because you can't absorb it.)

I did rainbow light? gummy's for dudeling. . .  they were the first children's vitamin I could get him to take.

for any tablet - do the dissolve test.  put one in a glass of water.  it should dissolve in five minutes.  if it doesn't - you can try lemon juice for five -minutes.  if it doesn't dissolve - they're a complete waste of money - and return them for your money back.

I've also looked at naturelo.   they look good on paper, but I don't know enough about them either way.

eta: I used some of these brands when we had less money

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

There are other areas where I am picky (fish oil, etc) but I am happy with the multivitamins. My only suggestion would be to add d3.

absolutely D3.   the usrda of 400ius' is  a total joke.   for most people - 2,000 ius would be fine.   I take 5,000 - 10,000 ius daily. . . . . my numbers barely crawl up.

blood d3 levels' should be a MINIMUM of 50.   my drs like more like 80. unless you spend a majority of your time out side in the sun (not shade) with few clothes on, you're likely deficient.

the form is the same nearly everywhere (any dr or source that uses d2 - should be fired. it won't raise your levels long term.)

for absorption:

#1 is drops with k2.

#2 - gel tabs in a high quality oil suspension.

(when the usrda for vitamin D was set. . . it was thought vitamin d was only about bones and teeth.  rickets - soft bones - is a risk factor with d3 levels <7.   one oncologist said she never had a patient with a d3 level >30.   d3 is being reclassed as a hormone because of how it's made, and the number of body systems that require it to function properly.  I've seen it in recent literature -and dd encountered it in some of her classes in pharm school.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 6wildhorses said:

My doctor put me on Thorne Research Basic Nutrients 2/Day. It's a very good product and reasonably priced.

first time I've ever heard a thorne product described as reasonably priced.

though thorne is a superior product.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

absolutely D3.   the usrda of 400ius' is  a total joke.   for most people - 2,000 ius would be fine.   I take 5,000 - 10,000 ius daily. . . . . my numbers barely crawl up.

blood d3 levels' should be a MINIMUM of 50.   my drs like more like 80. unless you spend a majority of your time out side in the sun (not shade) with few clothes on, you're likely deficient.

the form is the same nearly everywhere (any dr or source that uses d2 - should be fired. it won't raise your levels long term.)

for absorption:

#1 is drops with k2.

#2 - gel tabs in a high quality oil suspension.

(when the usrda for vitamin D was set. . . it was thought vitamin d was only about bones and teeth.  rickets - soft bones - is a risk factor with d3 levels <7.   one oncologist said she never had a patient with a d3 level >30.   d3 is being reclassed as a hormone because of how it's made, and the number of body systems that require it to function properly.  I've seen it in recent literature -and dd encountered it in some of her classes in pharm school.)

Yes, this!  FWIW, I do buy my D3 from Costco also....  this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Strength-Vitamin-Softgels/dp/B002RL8FE8?th=1  It's a gel tab suspended in soy and cod-liver oil. I take 4000iu daily.  My d3 levels are part of my panels checked every 3 months.  

Yay!  Thank y'all so much for your responses!  This is exactly what I needed and I feel prepared to get what we need.  My DH liked the Costco brand price, but I was skeptical and we've gotten by with the D3 that he buys, but I wasn't going to get anymore.  However, since I've seen a couple of responses that are favorable for the Costco brand, I'm encouraged and will have to tell hubby.  ?  I will check for bioavailable and oil coated, too.  I've used NOW brand over time, too, because they were more affordable, so I'm glad to know that they are good, too.  Y'all have been great help!  Thank you!  Have a blessed day and school year!

10 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

What about Juice Plus? i've got a facebook friend that is always talking about that

I've heard about these over the years, too, but I found having to order through someone wasn't for me.  I've always heard positive things about them, though.  A friend used them and really raved about them.

• 2 years later...

Take a serious look at Leap2BFit if you’re looking for multiple supplements esp if you’re seeking to reduce inflammation. 

ETA: Drat! Sorry, didn’t realize it was old!

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 1