Menu

First aid for tweens? (or younger)

Anyone know of any good first aid courses an 11yo could take? The Red Cross has an online babysitting course for ages 11+, but, I don't get the impression their first aid courses are intended for people that young. I tried Googling, and I just don't really see any organization offering such courses... I know I took one through the Red Cross at my school in 6th grade (11yo), and then an advanced one in person at 12 or 13yo, but that was in NL... does this exist in the US? Or should I just use a book (recs?) and try teaching him myself?

My 10-year-old took a youth first aid class this summer called "Stay Safe!" from the Canadian Red Cross, which is for kids ages 9+, but I haven't seen a similar course offered here in the US. It might be worthwhile checking whether there's a minimum age for the standard first aid / CPR courses - my oldest took the full two-day course at 14 and I'm sure he would have been fine taking it a year or two earlier. 

On 8/13/2018 at 3:58 PM, Kiara.I said:

St. John's Ambulance does have a youth program and in some locations teaches a junior course. Do you have SJA near you?

The closest locations Google lists are in Canada... but, I suppose I could take him to Canada for a bit (we live a couple of miles from the border, though those places are more than a couple of miles away... but maybe the Canadian Red Cross has one closer). It hadn't occurred to me to look into Canadian options.