Menu

2nd grade math supplement for RIght Start math

Susieq69

My daughter will be 2nd grade this year. She is almost done with RS level  B and will continue on with Level C. I want to supplement RS though with something more fun and “colorful” as she does not love RS. I want to stick with RS as the primary curriculum bc I think it is a great program but want an option for days where we have limited time to do math and/or she needs a change of pace. She LOVES colorful and fun looking curriculum. I am currently debating between Beast Academy and Mathematical Reasoning from Critical Thinking Co.  We used the Math Analogies from CTC last year as one of our supplements and she loved it but I want something that is more actual math and not “logic”.  I am open to any new suggestions but also looking for feedback from anyone who has used Beast Acadmy and/or Math Reasoning.  Thank you! 

Mathematical Reasoning felt disjointed to us.  I gave away the one and only book we bought.  It might work well as a supplement for what you want, though.

Our current supplements to RS are Life of Fred and Gattegno. Mine didn't want Beast and every once in a while the card games from RS get a bit stale.

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Mathematical Reasoning felt disjointed to us.  I gave away the one and only book we bought.  It might work well as a supplement for what you want, though.

Our current supplements to RS are Life of Fred and Gattegno. Mine didn't want Beast and every once in a while the card games from RS get a bit stale.

Was there something in particular your kids did not like about BA? Thank you for your help!

I feel like Mathematical Reasoning is colorful, but would feel a lot like more of the same with RightStart. We love Beast Academy and used it as our main math curriculum.we transitioned toit from RightStart and they are quite different, which seems more worthwhile to me if you are going to supplement. I never quite understand how people are using BA as a supplement, as it is a really full curriculum, but others seem to figure that part out so it must work.

• Like 1

BA is surprisingly lengthy so I’m not sure if it’s the best supplement. I have never used RS but I’ve read that it’s pretty intense so you might not want a supplement that is also intense. BA only has a few problems per lesson but it can be very time consuming. They did start an online program that another thread says has a trial period so that could be a good place to start, but I think that thread may have said that the grade 2 materials aren’t online yet. 

What about Miquon? I’m not sure how that would compare to RS but I think it’s a really solid math program. DS really likes how it explains things. It can simplify concepts and make them easy to follow. It is black and white but it’s a very puzzle like program. Sometimes I would be confused and DS would get what they wanted. 

Does RS have word problems? We really like the FAN books here if you want something like that. 

I did pre-k through K CTC Mathematical Reasoning books with DS years ago and they were too repetitive for him. There was a lot on shapes. I’m not sure about the later books but that’s why we stopped. 

I'll second FAN Math for word problems, as it's a good one.

You could also just read lots of living math books. Or do a project book like those from GEMS. The thing is... RS is very complete. You don't really need to do anything else that isn't actually intended to be supplemental.

Beast Academy is a full program. However, right now you have a kid who doesn't like RS. So another approach would be to get Beast and see how it goes - it can be a supplement, especially if you feel empowered to read the books, play around and not do absolutely everything in the practice. But maybe do it in mind of switching in the future. It's a full program, after all.

• Like 1

Have your child look at the BA samples online. If he likes them, try to supplement with them or switch completely over. My kid gets bored easily and we switch which program we work with approximately every two to three weeks, but BA lasts the longest before he wants to switch again.