Menu

Help me block my time

I work part time as a realtor and have managed to work and homeschool so far. With DS going into 4th grade, and DD in 2nd, more of my time needs to go to homeschooling. Add in daily exercise,  three older kids who attend community college and/or public school, chores, and food prep, I can’t seem to figure out how I’m going to have enough time for everything. Oh, and I’m extremely introverted and also need ‘me time’. I need help please!

How much time should schooling take at this stage? I’ve allotted 1.25 hrs for exercise and driving to and from class, which begins at 9:15 am. I need time in the morning to check email, return calls, and stay on top of my transactions. I need a little more time to follow up on all of these things before the close of business daily. I also need time to myself to recharge my introverted self. My kids wake up after I get home from my bootcamp, and they stay up later to spend time with my night owl husband, so while not ideal, I could schedule some schooling in the evening. I can list our subjects if it is helpful. 

I would suggest 1 hour email time before you leave for exercise class, start school at 10:15, work on school until lunch, take a short lunch, then finish school and work. If your kids can work independently on something, have them start on what they can before you get home. 

At their ages I would plan about 2 and 4 hours for school. 

For me personally I have to exercise after the kids are done with school for the day. The kids just seem to do better if we get started right away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

How much time should schooling take at this stage? I’ve allotted 1.25 hrs for exercise and driving to and from class, which begins at 9:15 am. I need time in the morning to check email, return calls, and stay on top of my transactions. I need a little more time to follow up on all of these things before the close of business daily. I also need time to myself to recharge my introverted self. My kids wake up after I get home from my bootcamp, and they stay up later to spend time with my night owl husband, so while not ideal, I could schedule some schooling in the evening. I can list our subjects if it is helpful. 

2 and 4 hours of school at that age. 

If your exercise class starts at 9:15, you have several hours before that during which you can deal with email and paperwork. It's too early to return calls, so for that I'd schedule some time in the early afternoon. It looks like you can have 4 hours of alone time in the morning before you start working with your kids. That sounds pretty good to me.

If the kids don't get up until 10:15, do a quick breakfast and start school right away, by 11. The 2nd grader is done by 1pm.  Lunch break from 1 to 2. The 4th grader has 2 or so hours of school in the afternoon. You can return calls during the lunch break, since it's so late that people in offices are done with their lunch and back at their desks. If school is done by 4, you have some more time to work while the kids play outside or are at activities.

Edited by regentrude
  • Thanks 1

6:30-8a.m. Your coffee and alone time.

8a.m.

I would block my schedule as follows: I would require the kids to be up before you leave and do their morning pickup and eat a simple breakfast.  I would require them to work on required reading and very independent subjects while you are at class. 

10:30-12:30 Tutor time

12:30 Lunch hour

When you arrive home I would do the one on one subjects with each child....then I would do a lunch hour.  During lunch I would turn on an audio book for the kids...Story of the World ect....and use that time to do my correspondence.

2p.m-3p.m I would add an extra hour if they are staying up late and encourage a nap.

I personally require a quiet hour at my home right after lunch.  You can do the same...allow children to nap,  do art, crafts, educational video games, build with legos, or read.  Everyone needs time in the afternoon to chill and be left alone.  You can be free to work or nap or clean here.

Dinner and Family time. Enjoy thise babies?

Brenda

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, extendedforecast said:

These schedules make much more sense than the routines I was coming up with. The main difference is that I was starting my day with exercise. If I wake up earlier, I can fit everything in, duh. I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me. Thank you!

It definitely works if you have energy earlier...and allows the evening to do fun things with your husband.  However, if you are exhausted in the morning and are night owls- which when my husband worked odd evening hours we were...then you could push the tutoring time to 4-6? and let them do independent work as soon as you get home until lunch? .  This is just another idea.

Brenda

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, homemommy83 said:

It definitely works if you have energy earlier...and allows the evening to do fun things with your husband.  However, if you are exhausted in the morning and are night owls- which when my husband worked odd evening hours we were...then you could push the tutoring time to 4-6? and let them do independent work as soon as you get home until lunch? .  This is just another idea.

Brenda

I consider myself somewhere between night owl and early bird, which means it won’t be too painful to wake up earlier as long as I’m consistent. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

These schedules make much more sense than the routines I was coming up with. The main difference is that I was starting my day with exercise. If I wake up earlier, I can fit everything in, duh. I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me. Thank you!

Sometimes another set of eyes is all you need. You’ll figure out a routine that works for you and your family. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:04 PM, extendedforecast said:

If you feel good by starting the day with exercise, you could simply exercise earlier and then do solitary work after your workout, before the kids wake up. I have friends who begin their day at 5:30am at the gym.

• Like 2