Menu

Labeling the spines of spiral-bound books

In my pre-school year organizing, I've finally got some new bookshelves and am unpacking boxes of books - hooray!!  But I have a dilemma with our many spiral-bound books. Who doesn't love spiral-binding those thick textbooks that just won't stay open? (I'm looking at you, Henle!!) But, once those so-functional spiral bindings are all lined up on the shelf, how do you identify them?? Does anyone have a system for labeling those spirally spines, so you can pinpoint books without having to pull out every single one to look at the cover??

TIA!!

Edited by Piper

I did this   

https://marietagrissom.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/labeling-spiral-binders/

but I tied them on using 6 strands of embroidery thread. I happened to have old blinds that were plastic and easy to cut and easy to hole punch and I tied them at the top and bottom. Really, you could do the same thing with card stock or card stock laminated with packing tape to make it more durable.

binder label.JPG

I have a lot of spiral bound books, and for the most part I've been able to recognize what they are just by looking at the size/shape of the book, or putting different colored card stock covers on the books (you can see the cover a bit from the spine)

It helps that I keep most of my books, especially the flimsy spiral bound ones, in magazine holders. The white cardboard ones from ikea, and I write the subject on the visible edge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petrichor said:

I have a lot of spiral bound books, and for the most part I've been able to recognize what they are just by looking at the size/shape of the book, or putting different colored card stock covers on the books (you can see the cover a bit from the spine)

It helps that I keep most of my books, especially the flimsy spiral bound ones, in magazine holders. The white cardboard ones from ikea, and I write the subject on the visible edge

Just for anyone who might find this useful, the poverty version of a magazine holder is a cereal box cut to the right shape and covered with shelf (contact) paper. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

Just for anyone who might find this useful, the poverty version of a magazine holder is a cereal box cut to the right shape and covered with shelf (contact) paper. 

Those cardboard ones from Ikea might just be cheaper than buying contact paper!

2 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

Those cardboard ones from Ikea might just be cheaper than buying contact paper!

Well, a lot of the country remains unblessed by the presence of an IKEA...I don't know the exact cost of contact paper; I'm still working with some rolls I bought at the dollar store 12 years ago...and obviously, the contact paper is not at all essential. You could cover them with any kind of paper, or leave them uncovered. The cereal boxes are cheaper than buying cardboard, if you already have them because you eat cereal. If you do not eat cereal, and do not have an IKEA, you can do better with cardboard magazine holders from Amazon, but only if you already pay for prime shipping.

2 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

Well, a lot of the country remains unblessed by the presence of an IKEA...I don't know the exact cost of contact paper; I'm still working with some rolls I bought at the dollar store 12 years ago...and obviously, the contact paper is not at all essential. You could cover them with any kind of paper, or leave them uncovered. The cereal boxes are cheaper than buying cardboard, if you already have them because you eat cereal. If you do not eat cereal, and do not have an IKEA, you can do better with cardboard magazine holders from Amazon, but only if you already pay for prime shipping.

Lol, yes, I prefer not to think about life without an Ikea! ? I have not seen contact paper at my dollar store and paid what I thought was an unreasonable amount for a small roll once at the grocery store. I've been biased against it since. This may be a varies-by-region issue! In Canada, Amazon's magazine holders are more $$ than Ikea, at least the ones I've seen.