Menu

What's with the ads?

rutamattatt

Dr. Hive: Metallic Taste

I have had this terrible taste in my mouth for a few months now and it will not go away!  Very metallic.  Like cold metal.  It's gross.

I've been to the dentist for a cleaning and all looks good there.  No bleeding gums.  DH says my breath smells OK.  Haven't started any new medications.  I can still taste foods and such, but have this constant metallic taste.  I know it is such a little thing, but it is wearing. me. out.

I've been to the dr for fatigue and my labs show low Vitamin D and low B12, so I am wondering if that may cause it?  I have a follow up appointment next week, so I will ask there about it.  But in the meanwhile has anyone ever had this before?  What helped?  I've tried gum, mints.  It helps for awhile and then it comes right back.  

Hurl!

It was my first sign of pregnancy, so I freaked out when it occurred randomly years later. I think that it could have been sinus related, but it went away.

That has happened to me a few times but it has only lasted a few days, maybe a week at the longest. I've read that it can be caused by hormone fluctuations during perimenopause.

Edited by Selkie

Well, if you want TV diagnosis, one time on House, a patient had a metallic taste in his mouth, and that meant that his kidneys were shutting down.  How are your kidneys?

12 hours ago, Acorn said:

It was my first sign of pregnancy, so I freaked out when it occurred randomly years later. 

This was my suggestion as well. You haven’t been eating pine nuts frequently, have you?

I don't know what the cause could be, but DH's cancer medicine causes altered taste (as many of them do) and his is metallic. Sour/tart things tend to help counteract it--drink lemonade, suck on lemon hard candies, etc. Also, you might try making a mouth rinse of one quart water, one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda and swishing with that several times a day.

Edited by Pawz4me

My sister says she gets a strong metallic taste in her mouth whenever an epileptic seizure is coming on, but it doesn't sound like that's been happening with you!  

Well, I know people who do a keto diet say they get that when they are in ketosis. No idea about the mechanics of that though.