Menu

Conditioner recommendations for curly hair?

dirty ethel rackham

Dd has long curly hair (past her shoulders is long for curly hair)  and she is struggling to find a conditioner that works well for her.  Her hair is fine but thick, somewhat dry, and tangles easily.  She only combs it in the shower with conditioner on and she is still getting lots of breakage.  Anyone have a suggestion for a conditioner that would be great at detangling, great for dry hair, not too many harmful ingredients, doesn't break the bank, and is readily available to a college student?  Does this unicorn exist?  

I like Trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner.  I use this conditioner first as if it were shampoo and then rinse.  Then I use it like conditioner and comb before rinsing.

My hair is only wavy but if i use any shampoo it dries out, breaks and tangles easily.  This also happens to me with some other conditioners I've tried.

Is Costco an option?

I have very long curly hair- all the way down my back long.  I use Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner and it works fabulous for my hair.  It's less than $10 for a giant bottle that lasts a very long time- even with the quantity I need to use for all my hair.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Moisture-Conditioner-33.8-FL-OZ.product.100375352.html

32 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Is Costco an option?

I have very long curly hair- all the way down my back long.  I use Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner and it works fabulous for my hair.  It's less than $10 for a giant bottle that lasts a very long time- even with the quantity I need to use for all my hair.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Moisture-Conditioner-33.8-FL-OZ.product.100375352.html

We can do Costco.  I'll have to pop over there and pick some up.  How is this for detangling?  She only combs with conditioner in the shower (using the bottom-up method) and still ends up handfuls of breakage.  Her hair is very fine textures but she has a lot of it.  

I like the products by Shea Moisture. You might want to check out the Curly Girl FB Group, so you get specific guidance for her type of curly hair. I have 2b, high porosity, low protein, fine hair. They have quizzes you can take to find out what type of hair you have, to better select curly hair products.

Edited by SeaConquest

If she is getting a lot of breakage I wonder if she might benefit from a protein treatment?  They have some DIY options at Sally's.  Or possibly she may consider doing a deep conditioning treatment once a week, or a hot oil treatment.

My daughter has very fine curly hair, but a ton of it.  We use As I am coconut co wash for detangling in the shower. It is not super cheap but not the most expensive stuff we have used. I really like it and have found it at Wal-Mart, Target, and Sally's.  Actually even our local grocery store has started carrying it which is convenient.

https://www.target.com/p/as-i-am-coconut-cleansing-conditioner-16-fl-oz/-/A-14441399?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=bing_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001230728pbs&network=s&device=t&querystring=as i am.coconut co wash&gclid=[*GCLID*]&gclsrc=ds

Edited by CaliforniaDreamin

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

I like Trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner.  I use this conditioner first as if it were shampoo and then rinse.  Then I use it like conditioner and comb before rinsing.

My hair is only wavy but if i use any shampoo it dries out, breaks and tangles easily.  This also happens to me with some other conditioners I've tried.

We all need to use shampoo.  If we don't, our scalps get really gross.  No poo has never been an option for any of us, especially dd who is an athlete and gets a sweaty, oil scalp quite easily.  I do like the TJs tea tree tingle shampoo, though.  

19 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

We can do Costco.  I'll have to pop over there and pick some up.  How is this for detangling?  She only combs with conditioner in the shower (using the bottom-up method) and still ends up handfuls of breakage.  Her hair is very fine textures but she has a lot of it.  

I think it works great for detangling.  However, when I do that I use a generous amount of the conditioner to make sure I have good coverage, but as I mentioned, I have a LOT of hair to get through.

• Like 1

I love this stuff.  It's not just for women of color!  lol  My hair has a straw-like consistency sometimes and this helps a lot without getting greasy at all.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shea-Moisture-Raw-Shea-Butter-Restorative-Conditioner/167344065

My second favorite is this: https://www.ulta.com/biolage-exquisiteoil-creme-conditioner?productId=xlsImpprod6490100  Good stuff.

On 8/10/2018 at 9:39 AM, happi duck said:

This.  Absolutely.  I Comb it in my hair in the shower and rinse some (not all) a la curly girl.  Comb some gel in.  Squeeze curls in old cotton T-shirt.  

I use the Trader Joe’s conditioner listed above. It’s almost as good as Deva and about 1/4 the cost. Honestly, for dry hair co-washing is the best and you CAN get your hair clean with conditioner and friction alone if we’re just talking about sweat. There can be a mental block to overcome, but your hair is better without the suds. 

If you must have suds, Ouidad has a frizz control shampoo that’s nice. Try to limit it to once a week though because it’s just not as moisturizing as skipping shampoo. I understand getting sweaty because I do hours of dance classes a week, but unless I’m gardening or doing something where I get dirt in my hair I stick to conditioner alone.

Ouidad also has a climate control gel that changed my life. I must get the lowest amount of hold, because I can’t feel it on my hair; it just GREATLY reduces the frizz factor. This is very important to me since it now rains EVERY day in Maryland. 

If she hasn’t read Curly Girl, that may help her too. 

• Like 2

Another thought . . . handfuls of hair while combing in conditioner can be normal for super curly hair. I always shed in the shower and I’m not bald yet. I just ball it up and toss in the nearby trash. I think we just notice it more because it doesn’t end up in the brush like normal people. I actually use a wide comb or afro pick on my hair. A brush would be disastrous. 

I started using DevaCurl's SuperCream as a leave in conditioner. My hair feels much better. It's not a budget friendly conditioner, however. 

I used Aussie's 3 min miracle (Moist) for years and it was decent, but it can get heavy if used too much. 

I'll have to try the Trader Joe's one, I am finally near one. Can you use it as a leave in conditioner? 

DD11 uses Shea Moisture after swimming and Nexus for every day. We get Nexus at Costco, and while it isn't cheap. it isn't too bad (about $15 a liter). Every 2-3 liters or so, I use a liter of Matrix Humectress just to change the formula on her hair a bit.  I use 4 pumps of shampoo and 4 of conditioner on her hair and sometimes more. Her hair is just past her shoulders but it seems to just soak up whatever I put on it. I start with 4 pumps and add more as needed. I comb out her hair with a wide tooth comb in the shower and braid it, because other wise her hair tends to tangle into dreads. (Just for comparison, I use one pump of Matrix Amplify on my straight hair that is to the middle of my back. LOL_ 

My daughter has long curly hair that is fine and silky but tends toward dryness. When she was pre-teen it was like a bush.

We did the no-shampoo method. She washed with conditioner and then after we spent time combing her hair with conditioner and a spray-bottle of water. Then we "set" it with mousse. It does well for a couple of days like that. Her scalp is now very clean but those first couple of months were a bit of a transition but worth it. 

We use Pantene Curl Perfection conditioner and never shampoo. It is a very thick conditioner with nothing that harms the hair.