Menu

If you have gray hair...

StaceyinLA

I’m wondering if you ever colored it, and, if so, how old you were when you stopped and just let it go gray?

If you still color it, how old are you and why do you not want to let it go gray?

I’m struggling. I have a fair amount of gray. I have months old color growing out (not terribly different from my actual color; just a little more red). I had a pretty good haircut yesterday, taking off at least 4 inches and layering heavily, so it really won’t be too long before all the old color will be gone.

I’m 50, but in most respects I don’t think I LOOK 50, and I definitely don’t act it most of the time. ?

I’m just wondering if it’s too soon to just let the gray loose. I dislike coloring my hair for several reasons, and just don’t really want to have to keep up with it.

Curious what others have done.

I started colouring about 5 years ago. I probably won't stop until I look old enough to have as many grays as I do (and they're all up front). When my grandma passed in her 90s, she still only had salt and pepper grays. I'm in my early 40s and I'm pretty sure I have as many as she did when she died. So...yeah...roughly 25-30 more years to go.

Edited by Sneezyone

I'm 53.  The last time I colored was before my son's wedding 3 years ago.  I had kept coloring through my 40's because I have younger kids and didn't want to be mistaken for their grandma.  I still was anyway - lol!  I decided after the wedding that I was done with it and have let it be natural for the last 3 years.  I'm not completely gray but it is graying nicely for which I'm very thankful.  No weird streaks seem to be appearing and the color that's left is dispersed nicely.  My mil never colored hers and had this strange looking really brown streak in the front for years after the rest of her hair turned gray.  I didn't want any weird streaks :)  

I enjoy not having to think about coloring.  My hair is pretty short so I had to color often in order to keep it even and I didn't like using all the chemicals so often.   I do get an urge every so often to color again . . usually after hanging around with the mothers of my youngers friends - LOL!  I don't feel older than them but know I look older.

I'm 51 and have never colored my hair. The back of my head is almost all grey now and the top and sides have a good amount of tinsel. It's just not something I've ever done, but I don't do a lot of things others do - I've never had a mani-pedi, or a facial, or a massage. I do pay a good amount to get a really good haircut in a salon, though. Both of my sisters dye their hair, my mom did not. When I was in my 20's I knew some women in their 50's that didn't dye their hair and I thought their hair looked fabulous - so I'm hoping. Most professional women I know dye their hair to combat ageism, which is a real concern once the half century mark is met.

• Like 5

I started going grey at about 30.  Once it was more than just a bit, I coloured it.  My hair is kind of a medium brown, and the grey just made it look kind of muddy and dull.

Anyway, about two years ago it suddenly started to be a lot more grey, and I found colouring it more difficult.  It didn't take colour as well, and the roots were super noticeable if I wasn't on the ball with keeping them covered.  Also, it just started to look kind of fake.  I tried for a while getting it done professionally - it was better, lasted longer and looked natural - but it also just cost a ton of money and was a lot of time.  So, I decided to grow it out.  I had the stylist do it with that in mind and it came in pretty seamlessly and looks pretty good I think.

I do find myself kind of wishing that hair colouring was less of a thing - I think that it's so common actually makes grey hair read a lot older than it actually should.  Though I notice colouring is becoming much less common here, and I think women with coloured hair are starting to stand out more once they are 40+.

• Like 5

i started going gray in my 30's.  I would do blonde highlights - and it really wasn't noticeable. I eventually was doing tri-color highlights professionally - then my roots barely showed before the next time.

I was in my 50's when I stopped.   I had my hair long - and pulled it back so it barely showed while I grew it out.

it's actually an interesting color.    more like a white/extreme platinum/tow with blonde highlights.  some gray at the crown.

my mil said she was going to stop coloring her hair and have hair like mine.   (she's 93 - and still dyes it black.)

I am 51, have lots of white mixed with my brown hair, and have never colored.  I never intend to.  I am proud of my white hairs as I've worked hard for them.  ?

A few years ago, my SIL stopped coloring her hair and I discovered she has GORGEOUS gray hair.  It is so becoming.  She got so many compliments that she decided to never color again.

KINSA, your hair is beautiful.  I also remember a secretary I had whose salt-and-pepper hair was so awesome, I believed her when she joked that she paid to have it done.

I think mature hair is underrated.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Kinsa said:

I started greying in my late teens. In my 20's I was highlighting my hair to blend the grey. In my 30's I colored.  When I turned 40 I had enough of that bullsh!t and went completely grey. I'm 46 now and I love the freedom.20180210_214431.thumb.jpg.1eb70afe4b9c418d8cc5788f94d0d2f8.jpg 

Yeah, see, if I had a solid head of silver I wouldn't do it either! This is nice.

What I have is a giant triangle of intermittent gray on the top of my head and nowhere else. It's weird. LOL.

• Haha 1

I started going gray in my 20s. My mom colored her hair from before I can remember. She is really into appearances. I'm not.

I've never colored my hair & don't plan on ever doing so. I wanted to make sure my daughters (and sons) knew what they were in for as far as going gray early. Not coloring is also a statement I'm making against societal norms regarding beauty. I don't feel like I have to color my hair, get a b00k job, or wear make-up to be happy & feel beautiful. (I do conform as far as certain visible body hair removal locations.)

DH says my salt & pepper hair makes me look more wise. (He's sweet.) Mine doesn't look as awesome as Kinsa's. I have a friend who gets asked by teenagers all the time where she got her hair done because they want her salt & pepper hair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Gray hair is gorgeous, especially well styled.  But it is generally aging, even when it is silver and sharp and perfect.  Some women aren’t big fans of that, or feel it washes them out.  So coloring it can be a good choice but it IS a long term commitment unless you’re willing to chop off everything and grow it out, especially with reds.

I'm 51 and very low maintenance but I have always thought I would color my hair when it gets gray because I do think it ages you.  I agree that gray hair can be stunning, though.  I'm just not ready for it yet.

Edited by Kassia

I started going gray when I was about 18.  I began coloring it then and haven't stopped since.  At this point I'm probably about 75% gray and sometime I do think about letting it go natural.  The problem is that demarcation line you have as your hair grows out.  I can't imagine living with that for years.

I'm 51 and just have grey in the front and a few throughout and I color it.  I guess I'll stop when it 1. Doesn't bother me or 2. I don't look like an old hag or witchy.   My mom did not get very grey until after 60 i was hopeful but my dad's family goes from brown/black hair to white by 60 so I guess it could be worse.

I've been coloring my hair on and off since I was twelve.

I started getting noticeable greys in my mid twenties.

If I feel like dying my hair, I dye it. If I don't feel like it, I don't. I've dyed it blonde, brown, red, purple, and every shade in between. The one time I let a salon dye my hair, it was suppose to be a mahogany brown but it came out almost black and I hated it. I have very fair skin so super dark hair colors  do not look good on me. Other than that one time, I've always done it myself.

It is currently dyed a deep reddish color that highlights purpley tones in the sun. It's one of my husband's favorite hair colors on me. :-) I had not dyed it in over a year before this most recent dye job. My natural color is medium brown that easily takes sunny strawberry blonde highlights from being outside. My greys are still scattered but with concentrated streaks near my temples.

My hair started graying in my mid-fourties. I never colored. I am going naturally gray. Neither my mother nor my grandmother ever colored their hair.

I hate the idea of being forced into a regimen of re-coloring every few weeks (grey roots showing through colored hair looks so tacky and unkempt); I am not ashamed of my age. I think being out of shape ages a person way more than gray hair. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Library Momma said:

I started going gray when I was about 18.  I began coloring it then and haven't stopped since.  At this point I'm probably about 75% gray and sometime I do think about letting it go natural.  The problem is that demarcation line you have as your hair grows out.  I can't imagine living with that for years.

A good hairdresser can colour your hair in such a way that when it grows out, there won't be a harsh line.

• Like 2

My gray is definitely not new - I've had some gray for at least 10 years. My mom was almost completely white-headed by 50. I guess I'm just already burnt out on the coloring. I definitely don't like the chemical aspect, dislike doing it myself, and refuse to pay a professional. I'm just not into that expensive self-care girly stuff like manis/pedis, expensive hairdos, etc. I have a good stylist and I'm happy to pay for a good haircut, but I just can't commit to $75 or so every 4-5 weeks (based on how quickly my hair grows). I can get the professional dye from Sally's and do it, but I find the gray really difficult to color, even with the dyes that are supposed to do stubborn gray.

I'm also not really worried about aging per se; just don't want to look a lot older than I am due to lots of early gray.

3 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

My gray is definitely not new - I've had some gray for at least 10 years. My mom was almost completely white-headed by 50. I guess I'm just already burnt out on the coloring. I definitely don't like the chemical aspect, dislike doing it myself, and refuse to pay a professional. I'm just not into that expensive self-care girly stuff like manis/pedis, expensive hairdos, etc. I have a good stylist and I'm happy to pay for a good haircut, but I just can't commit to $75 or so every 4-5 weeks (based on how quickly my hair grows). I can get the professional dye from Sally's and do it, but I find the gray really difficult to color, even with the dyes that are supposed to do stubborn gray.

I'm also not really worried about aging per se; just don't want to look a lot older than I am due to lots of early gray.

It's not really early though, it's totally normal.  I think all women should just agree to stop colouring so we'd have a normal sense of when our hair should go grey.

• Like 11

I began getting some gray and white hairs a couple of years ago. I am 54 now. So far I haven't done anything about it, it just looks like I have some highlights. The main problem I have with some of the gray or white hairs is that they feel like a different texture than before. Has anyone experienced this?

Edited by Mabelen

5 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

I’m wondering if you ever colored it, and, if so, how old you were when you stopped and just let it go gray?

If you still color it, how old are you and why do you not want to let it go gray?

I’m struggling. I have a fair amount of gray. I have months old color growing out (not terribly different from my actual color; just a little more red). I had a pretty good haircut yesterday, taking off at least 4 inches and layering heavily, so it really won’t be too long before all the old color will be gone.

I’m 50, but in most respects I don’t think I LOOK 50, and I definitely don’t act it most of the time. ?

I’m just wondering if it’s too soon to just let the gray loose. I dislike coloring my hair for several reasons, and just don’t really want to have to keep up with it.

Curious what others have done.

I colored my hair off and on from mid 30s or so. I just didn't like my natural color. I stopped coloring about age 47, when it got to be too much with school. I'm now 51 and I'm surprised its not more grey. The underside is getting that way and if my hair is up it shows much more - like I get the senior discount at some fast food places without asking. This is a recent photo (I'll probably delete it in a few days), so you can't really see the grey. 

I quit coloring because I no longer care. Men can look distinguished when grey, I am going to embrace the same mentality for myself. I do not feel 51 either. If the hair ages me, so be it. 

Image may contain: Paula Hayward, eyeglasses and indoor

• Like 15

Stacy, you’re a brunette, aren’t you?  I am as well.  I think it’s MUCH harder for brunettes to continue coloring their hair and remain brunettes.  I can’t remember when I quit coloring my hair.  Probably 15 years ago or so.  I didn’t have much gray at all, but I liked my hair dark.  The problem with dark coloring is it just keeps getting darker and darker and darker the more you color it.  So, I tried to go a bit lighter to avoid the Morticia Addams look.  I didn’t care for it at all - too red/too brassy.  I did not want to become blonde (nothing against blondes, natural or otherwise - I’m super fair, it would have been baaaaad, AND I was tired of spending the money) so I just decided to let it go.  I was paying to have it done, and it was expensive. I never tried doing it at home.  The growing out of the colored part was painful, but I plowed through.  I’m so glad I did.  I still don’t have a ton of gray.  What I do have is concentrated around my face.  Many people ask me if I “put that gray stripe” in my hair - lol!  Nope!  To me, it just wasn’t worth the time and effort, especially since I really didn’t want to go lighter.  Now, I just refer to my grays as Arctic blondes and happily carry on!  I’m mid-50s.

57 minutes ago, Mabelen said:

I began getting some gray and white hairs a couple of years ago. I am 54 now. So far I haven't done anything about it, it just looks like I have some highlights. The main problem I have with some of the gray or white hairs is that they feel like a different texture than before. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm 48 and I have some pure white hairs by my temples.  I'm a redhead and my hair is slightly wavy but the white hairs are kinky and course.  I thought since my hair seems like it's on a slow road to going white, I'll just let it because I am close to 50 and my youngest is 11.   I don't mind the white, but if all my hair does that, I may mind very much.

• Like 1

Well, I started going gray in my 20s (I had a huge stripe in high school too). I colored off and on until my late 20s. Then I thought "do I want to spend so much time and money on this?" And my answer was a definitive "no!" It didn't hurt that soon after that I met DH and he prefers the natural color with the gray versus me coloring it. Does it age me? Most people would say yes. But what a weird thing for society to care about.

Anyway, my opinion is that you should color your hair or not based solely on what you  think, not on what anyone else does (whether people IRL or people online). It's certainly not too early to be gray though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acorn said:

Has anyone used henna? I’m curious about trying it but I don’t like any fuss so I’m probably okay to leave natural.

I've been using henna for decades.

In my 20s and 30s it was just because I like the colour, and I didn't want to use chemical dyes. Henna is gentle and cheap and my husband does it for me at home. 

Greys started appearing at my temples in my early 40s, and now at 45 there are more sprouting all over the place. These come out as a blazing orangey-red at first with the henna. On the first few days after henna-ing you can probably see the glow from wherever you are ? 

49 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

Stacy, you’re a brunette, aren’t you?  I am as well.  I think it’s MUCH harder for brunettes to continue coloring their hair and remain brunettes.  I can’t remember when I quit coloring my hair.  Probably 15 years ago or so.  I didn’t have much gray at all, but I liked my hair dark.  The problem with dark coloring is it just keeps getting darker and darker and darker the more you color it.  So, I tried to go a bit lighter to avoid the Morticia Addams look.  I didn’t care for it at all - too red/too brassy.  I did not want to become blonde (nothing against blondes, natural or otherwise - I’m super fair, it would have been baaaaad, AND I was tired of spending the money) so I just decided to let it go.  I was paying to have it done, and it was expensive. I never tried doing it at home.  The growing out of the colored part was painful, but I plowed through.  I’m so glad I did.  I still don’t have a ton of gray.  What I do have is concentrated around my face.  Many people ask me if I “put that gray stripe” in my hair - lol!  Nope!  To me, it just wasn’t worth the time and effort, especially since I really didn’t want to go lighter.  Now, I just refer to my grays as Arctic blondes and happily carry on!  I’m mid-50s.

Yes I’m brunette, and I agree - I generally use a light or medium golden brown to basically just color the greasy, but it really gives a reddish tint to the rest of my hair. I’m just leaving it for now and am gonna see how it goes.

I’m 55. I started having my hair colored when I was around 40. I didn’t have any gray then but it wasn’t as shiny as it had been when I was younger and that bugged me. I stopped almost two years ago. I got tired of having it done and decided I was fine at that age for it to not be as shiny. I do have some gray now but not a ton. I’m fine with whatever it does. I never really had a line of demarcation when it was growing out because it was so close to my natural color. 

I'm not sure how much grey hair I have. When I look at my roots (when it's time to get them done again) I see a fair number but I don't think I'd be completely grey if I stopped coloring it. It appears it would be salt and pepper with a bit more pepper than salt.

Yes, I color my grey. It started when ds was young and I got tired of being mistaken for his grandmother. Even then I only had some grey but apparently it was enough because once I started coloring it the mistaken identity stopped. For most of my life I've looked younger than I am* and  people are often surprised to learn my age, so I do think it was my grey hair rather than say, an aging face, that made them say that.

When I was in my 20s and early 30s I colored my hair because I was trying to recapture the beautiful auburn hair I had when I was too little to appreciate it, before it turned to boring brown. I don't think all brown hair is boring, just the particular shade of brown that I have. My mother had gorgeous chestnut colored hair but I didn't get that. ? Anyway, I say this to point out that coloring my grey wasn't the first time I colored my hair for the purpose of changing/hiding my natural color. 

I sometimes think about not coloring it anymore, and the time is probably coming sooner rather than later but it turns out I like the color it is now. I like the highlights I get along with the color. I no longer color it with the express purpose of covering the grey though I'd be lying if I said that doesn't play a role at all.

When I was younger and wanted auburn hair I colored it myself because I couldn't afford to have it done professionally on a regular basis. Now I can afford it and it's my treat to myself. When I decide to stop coloring the grey I plan to have my stylist/colorist work with me rather than to just stop and let both grey hair and that brown I never liked grow back on their own.

*It wasn't always appreciated. I was once stopped by a teacher when I was the newest teacher at a middle school.  I was 24. Middle school not high school! I kept telling the jerk (and he was being a real jerk) that I was a teacher while he tried to get me to show him my hall pass. I finally won because I was NOT going to go with him to the office but just walked off to my classroom, which he refused to follow me to so I could prove who I was. I have to say I really enjoyed seeing that egg all over his face the first time I walked into a faculty meeting.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Do what makes you happy.

A fair number of my agemates have gone gray, but my gray hair is extremely wiry, particularly in humidity. I'm about 50% gray and color it myself. I'm much happier with it that. I'm in shape, and people always think I'm younger than I am anyway. Why not?

• Like 1

I started going grey fairly early (as in, I found my first grey hair -- which I thought at the time was funny -- while I was still in my 20s). I colored on and off for the next couple of decades, but finally, officially gave up on it a couple of years ago. I am now 53.

At this point, I am nearly completely grey, with the exception of some areas still on the sides towards the ends of my hair. (I keep it just above shoulder length, most of the time.) Neither I nor the stylist I go to occasionally can tell for sure whether those lingering areas are my natural color or just leftovers from my last attempts at coloring. I've actually tried to cover them up by coloring grey over them, but nothing has worked well. So, I'm waiting it out. I think I am probably now just a couple of trims from being nothing but grey.

I like the grey, except that I do wish the color were just a little warmer, since I think that would be more flattering. In general, though, I love not worrying about or fussing with coloring, and I find that they color feels natural and age appropriate. I have started focusing on taking good care of my hair, including making peace with the curls I spent so much of my life trying to stamp out. I wash, spritz with some conditioning/shine spray, brush, "scrunch" and go. I get lots of compliments, and I actually like the way it feels when I run my fingers through my hair.

I started going gray early as did my mom (16 for her). My hair is much lighter so it was a while probably before anyone really noticed.

I'm pretty much 85% white in front now, and I just don't look at the back as it is threaded with the white.  (ETA - the non-consistent color bothers me some. But not enough to actually do anything about it.)

I had it dyed once at a salon. I scared myself every time I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror. My mom dyed her hair for years and years and years. It started looking fake (to me, not quite a 'real' color, IYKWIM). I decided I was not doing that at all. 

You know, I don't really care about it. You can think I'm older than I am, or you can think whatever you want. I am the age I am (54), and I don't really care what people think any more.  It's hair people, it isn't me. 

Edited by Bambam

I use root touch up every 6 weeks or so. So far it's working well enough--the color totally blends in with my non-grey hair and it's a quick and easy process I can do at home. I'm not concerned with having some grey strands--I'm 46 and forever mistaken for 10 years younger, and I'm not one to obsess. But in no way am I interested in having weird grey patches nor in eventually having long grey hair, and since I can't rock a cute pixie like Kinsa, I don't see stopping for a good long time. I'm not trying to hide my age or pretend things are different than they are, I just don't like the way it would look if I didn't continue to dye it. 

My natural hair color is dark brown and I have scattered grey hairs, with a few patches right over my ears that you only see if I wear it down (which I almost never do).   I very occasionally color my hair using a dye that washes out in 30 shampoos, in the same color as my hair, just to brighten it up because I feel like it gets dull sometimes.   It doesn't even really cover the grey, just brightens up my natural color.  I'm 49.

Dh has had white hair since his early 30s.   He does get regularly asked if he's the kids grandfather, but realistically he's definitely old enough that he could be.  Our kids are younger than his younger brother's grandkids.  

I also am considering coloring the bottom layer of my hair blue when I do the kids hair next time.  

I'm almost 50. I've colored my hair for 16 years, since DD was a baby. Back then, my hair was not gray yet, but the color had darkened and dulled, so I lightened it to a light brown / dark blonde, similar to my childhood color. Other than a few times early on when I got professional highlights, I have always colored my hair myself at home.

Now my hair at the roots is 75% white/silver and perhaps 25% or less brown or gray strands. I think it is darker at the back of my head, toward the nape of my neck. My dad and aunt have pretty white hair. I think mine might be nice if I let it go to my natural color, and I don't think it would be hard to do. My dyed color now is a blonde color, and It's hard for me to see the demarcation when my roots need to be done, because the tone is close to my natural hair.

I love white hair, so why don't I let it grow in? First, I don't want to be mistaken for my kids' grandmother. Secondly, I think it isn't white yet all the way to the back, and I'm not sure my natural color is really even. And thirdly, I have very pale skin, and I think having golden hair brightens my overall appearance more than white hair would. I worry white hair will wash me out.

But I also have skin that is sensitive to chemicals, so I may need to stop coloring sooner than I'd otherwise like. I think when my children are all out of high school, I won't mind if my natural color makes me look older. I'd be less likely to be mistaken as their grandmother.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

BTW, DH is 50 and gray/white. Tonight while walking our puppy, we met a new neighbor, who said he was retired and asked if DH was. When DH said no, he replied, "Good for you," as if DH was working past what might be retirement age.

Now, it was nearly dark, but DH was not amused. I doubt that comment would have been made if DH still had brown hair, so I do think gray hair makes people think "older person."

I feel my age too often! I'm glad that I don't really look it yet (I take after my mom and look younger than my age, which was a pain when I was in my twenties but is kind of nice now).

• Confused 1

Unfortunately, I am a fair skinned red head, so graying hair makes me look sallow and washed out.  So, I color it.

My SIL also is a redhead and she stopped coloring a few years ago and went completely gray and I look at her and she literally aged 20 years in looks alone, by allowing herself to go completely gray.  I know that is what would happen to me.

So, I plan to continue to color for the time being.

I've been coloring my hair for years.  I started going gray in my 20s (I'm 62 now).  My  mother was an early grayer too, and at some point, maybe in my early 30s she made a comment that she wished she had colored her hair when she was young.  She said "you have a lot of years to be gray."  So I bought a bottle of temporary color.  I felt I looked so much better immediately.  People at work commented on how great I looked that first day, even if they couldn't figure out what the difference was. So I've been coloring ever since.  I am tired of it now, hate dealing with the roots and touchups and coloring every month, and am thinking of stopping but am not quite ready, for a few reasons.

I had my kids late in life so people often thought I was grandma. It would be much worse if my hair was completely gray, though now that my kids are grown, it might not matter.

My gray is not pretty, like Kinsa's.  It's a steely color and it just doesn't look good.  And, color adds body and definition to my curliness. (The curliness is new, btw. My hair was always straight and lank. But post-menopause it has gotten quite curly.)

I've wondered about letting it grow out by switching from permanent to temporary color for a while, cutting it pretty short (thought I could never pull off a cute Pixie, again like Kinsa, my face is too round) but I don't know.  I think there are product for gray hair that don't cover the gray but add body, but I'm afraid that's what gives that blue tinge to gray hair. So I dunno.

14 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Depends on how different the depth of shade is.  Feathering the color in doesn’t work well with a strong difference in shade or a demarcation with obvious gray.  It helps a bit, but only to lengthen the time between could-use-a-touchup and holy-moly-stripey-zebra.

Ask me how I know ?

Yes, I see the issue, in that case I'd probably try and shift to a less different colour.

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

When some of you say you had your kids later in life, how late do you mean?

I was 31, 33, and 37 when my kids were born.  Is that considered later in life?

I was 41, and turned 42 when he was 2 months old. 

Medically I think anything over 35 is considered "late". 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I was 41, and turned 42 when he was 2 months old. 

Medically I think anything over 35 is considered "late". 

Ok,  I was just a month or two from turning 32 and 34 when my first two were born.

I was 37 when my 3rd was born, but he was adopted, so I didn't birth him at 37.   He was born a month before my 38th birthday.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DawnM said:

When some of you say you had your kids later in life, how late do you mean?

I was 31, 33, and 37 when my kids were born.  Is that considered later in life?

I was 41 with my first, and almost 43 with my second.  

First baby over age 35 is considered "elderly prima gravida" and a high-risk pregnancy.  I remember being shocked at seeing "elderly" on my chart!  :-)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marbel said:

I was 41 with my first, and almost 43 with my second.  

First baby over age 35 is considered "elderly prima gravida" and a high-risk pregnancy.  I remember being shocked at seeing "elderly" on my chart!  ?

A friend of mine the other day was just telling me that at her clinic, they call any pregnancy over 35 a "geriatric pregnancy"!  You'd think they could come up with a nicer-sounding name!  (Even 40 seems so young to me now.  ?)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I do not feel 51 either. If the hair ages me, so be it. 

You do not look near 51 to me!  Maybe late 30's.

I also have curly hair, maybe a bit frizzier than yours, and would love to know how you style it and get the volume on top? 

My hair is black, with the grey all around my face.   If I wear it loose, very little of the grey is visible, but I often wear it pinned back, and then it is streaked with silver.

ETA:  I tried to colour just once, but because my hair is so dark, the colour looked artificial and I really didn't like it.  I've been natural grey since then.  My sisters have dark brown hair, and all colour theirs.

Edited by Hannah