Menu

Cats and Houses

Jaybee

We are under contract to buy a house. The seller had a cat. When we went to see the house the first time, there was a very (very) faint cat odor, but that was all. The seller has moved. She left the house pretty messy (the house looked neat and clean when we saw it, and we saw it twice while she was still there). I stopped by the house today to ask a question of the handyman who is doing repairs before closing. He is also cleaning out the garage, where there was a cat-contraption--a big plywood box that had been in the garage on the other side of a cat door, where I suppose the litter box was, or maybe it was just a bed, I don't know. It's one of the things the handyman is cleaning out. Anyway, the smell even in the open garage was quite strong, and I could also smell it more inside the house than before, And I have a respiratory infection. This is scaring me. I do not want to have to be battling cat odors, or have to pull up flooring, etc, to get rid of the smell. Do you think that once the box is out and everything has been given a good cleaning, that it will be okay? Or is this a nightmare we should avoid at all costs (I mean, do people break contracts over one cat?)? We can't afford either time or a lot of money to drag this process out. Our landlords are moving back to town and want their house back, so we have to move no matter what.

That would give me serious pause. I would express concern to the realtor and talk about your options for revocation and ask for a walk through once repairs and cleaning have been completed but prior to closing and prior to your loan being funded.

We've revoked a housing contract---it happened because we discovered pervasive mold damage.  The laws on contract revocation in my current state of residence are much more strict that other states we've lived in.  We were able to get our deposit back because we were within our inspection period, but even if all of the paperwork hadn't lined up, it would have been blessing to lose our deposit and just walk away. All ended up well, but it was a super stressful period of weeks. There's a certain momentum that happens while moving--really give thought as to whether this will be the right house months or years from now.  It's worth the stress to put your stuff into storage, if need be, and give yourself a few more weeks for the *right* house.

This all could work out ok, but replacing flooring (& sub flooring) is crazy expensive.

• Like 1

I don't love the house with great passion, but I like it a lot. It's a house that seems really homey and comfortable, aside from that one issue; one we could be very happy with. There are a lot of houses on the market here, but we didn't see anything we liked near as much as this one, at least in our price range. It's the right size, good for aging in place, etc., etc. We are only a week and a day away from closing. Inspection was done and they are working on the repairs, etc. 

I have no idea about the source of the smell. I didn't pick up on it in the bedrooms. But I'm sick and didn't have the time or the strength to go through and figure out more about it. I did mention it to the realtor. It's just that since I've come home, I've started to think about it, and it really gives me pause.

Edited by Jaybee

I would bet it is the box.  I have 3 cats and when we kept a litter box inside, there was cat smell no matter how many times we cleaned that dang box.   Once we made them go outside, the cat smell is gone.   I did clean the whole room (my cats did not go anywhere else but their box) where the box was with vinegar and water and scrubbed the baseboard and floor by hand with pinesol.  If the workers kept the garage door to the house open while the box was there, the smell will travel for sure!  It can be quite strong.  

As long as the cat wasn't peeing everywhere in the house, the odor shouldn't require much to remove it.  Bowls of vinegar left out overnight and/or charcoal spread around with good airing out after the garage is cleaned out where the contraption was should do the trick.  A  bag of baking soda mixed with an essential oil (or not) spread over the carpet and worked in with a broom and left over night works too.   

Unless when the cat was living there, the smell knocked you down, it wouldn't give me pause.

Now cigarette smoke...that's another story altogether!!

• Like 2

We have lived in our house three years.  The previous homeowners had dogs.  The house is overall okay, but still in the summer a random smell appears in one of the rooms.  We have had the carpet cleaned and figure it must be coming from the underfloor.  We plan on investigating further when we replace the carpet.

Point being: pet odors can linger.

• Like 1

Has it rained recently? We have a cat and when it’s super humid we notice some odor.  So perhaps with her gone the ac isn’t being run and with the house empty you don’t have the typical people smells. Hope you can find the source - I would venture you might be successful with enzyme spray. 

• Like 2

I think the lady who is cleaning will be using enzyme spray at least on the inside. We'll have a little time (few days) after closing before we move, so maybe we can do some enzyme in the garage as well. We haven't had a pet in a long time, and I was thinking we might get a kitten at some point. Now I'm thinking maybe not, lol!

• Like 1

The garage can be hosed down and scrubbed with soap even.  The enzyme sprays are for interior places that you can't rinse as well.  I wouldn't worry about being able to get rid of the smell in the garage.  If the smell is from urine that has been "cleaned" but is still there, then the carpet may have to come up, baseboards may have to be removed and cleaned behind, etc. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If there is any carpeting, then smell and cat hair can be really hard to get rid of. But if you have respiratory issues, you probably want to get rid of any carpets anyway.

I am recovering from a bad respiratory virus right now, so with all the congestion, you would think I couldn't smell the cat odors.

1 minute ago, Jaybee said:

I am recovering from a bad respiratory virus right now, so with all the congestion, you would think I couldn't smell the cat odors.

Cat urine has a very penetrating smell. There is some degree of "smell blindness" that happens when you live with pet odors, though. 

• Like 1