Menu

What's with the ads?

For those of you who have used the AOPS Counting and Probability and Number Theory courses, what was your progression? Is it possible to do one of these non-core books alongside a core book (along the lines of an elective)? Is that weird/confusing?

Thanks!

My kids did it over summer.

DS13 did the intro books himself in summer of 2015, and then did the intermediate number theory online class last summer (Intermediate Number Theory July 18th, 2017). He did the two AoPS python classes in the summer of 2016.

DS12 did the online courses last summer (Introduction to Counting & Probability (1468) June 5th, 2017

Introduction to Number Theory (1520) May 31st, 2017).

It is not weird or confusing to do one of these non core books alongside a core book. Time management is a different issue which is why my kids did the books/courses over summer. 

My DS did C&P in the middle of Intro to Algebra; he needed a break from algebra, and we spent a semester on C&P and then returned to the algebra book.

DS went back to do Intro NT and C&P after finishing geometry. He's finding them much easier, and would be able to do another math class alongside. (In comparison, he found it tricky to do Python and Intro Algebra at the same time, though that was also his first time writing up proofs.)

My son had an overlap with his AOPS classes.  I think it was Counting and Probability with Algebra B.  It kept him really busy to do both at the same time.  

It wouldn't be an issue to do two books concurrently at home.  

DS did Intro to C&P (self study) after Intro to Geometry, Intro to NT (self study) after Intermediate Alg. We didn't plan it that way, it's just how it turned out in terms of when he had time and the interest. DS says he thinks it will be fine to do Intro to C&P or NT concurrently with another AoPS math course.