Menu

Algebra 1 advice please :-)

So...I am freaking out about 8th grade with twins -- LOL.  We are not sure at this point whether we are homeschooling high school or sending them to school (public or private).  Whatever we decide, the boys are doing Algebra 1 this coming year and it needs to be a good enough program for them to test out of Algebra 1 if they go to school for 9th and not have to take it again.  We live in a very competitive schooling area and most 7th and 8th graders (if they are on the more advanced track for getting into college) are taking Algebra 1 and starting Geometry in either 8th or 9th grade.

That being said, I am researching Algebra 1 programs.  I thought we would be using AOPS and, while I've bookmarked a lot of Algebra curriculum threads (I am working my way through these), I haven't thought too much about it because I had a plan.  Well...my more advanced math kid did not like the format of AOPS Pre-A.  He didn't like the textbook part of it and how it was laid out.  I did tell him that we would be using textbooks more and more if we homeschool and schools will be using them.  Both boys did MM from 1st through 6th grade.  The other kid (who is good at math, but hates school -- LOL), did MM7.

So...at the moment, I am working them through the MM7 review pages and tests to give them a refresher.  We officially start 8th grade the day after Labor Day.

I did look at the syllabus for the homeschool Algebra 1 class I would have signed them up for if we outsourced locally.  They would use Prentice Hall Mathematics Algebra 1 for that class.  On these boards I've heard of Forester's, Jacobs, Derek Owens (is this just on-line and you can have it graded or not grade?).  

Any opinions or insight for any Algebra 1 programs would be so appreciated!!! Help ?!!!

I think you're probably aware of the option. You just have to dive in.

Do you want someone else to handle it? The Derek Owens classes are online and you can have them graded or not. But there are others. Like Tabletclass. Or ALEKS. Or... I mean, there's a lot of options, honestly.

I tend to think that local classes aren't usually great, but it varies so much. I think only meeting 1-2 times a week is often a limitation. The Prentice Hall text is supposed to be fine. I'm guessing you can do better by teaching it yourself or doing an online course though. I'd outsource other stuff locally if you want to go that route, unless the class just has a really stellar reputation. 

If you want to teach it... I mean, we loved Jacob's. I think it's good for a lot of kids who are good at math but don't like AoPS... and kids who are a little more humanities focused because of the way he talks about math. The layout is super easy to use - a review set in each section if you want it, a main practice set, a second set if you need it, and a sort of challenge question/brain teaser. But again, plenty of options. Forester's is another. Dolciani is another. There's a lot out there.

When you picture algebra, what's your dream scenario?

• Like 1

If you live in the Atlanta Metro area, Derek Owens teaches his classes at two hybrid schools. 

Whatever you decide, I recommend that you work along side of your boys. I have found that having a live person watch them work and be there to ask questions is invaluable. It is nice to outsource for the accountability part and having deadlines. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lmrich said:

If you live in the Atlanta Metro area, Derek Owens teaches his classes at two hybrid schools. 

Whatever you decide, I recommend that you work along side of your boys. I have found that having a live person watch them work and be there to ask questions is invaluable. It is nice to outsource for the accountability part and having deadlines. 

Thank you!  We are in Northern VA near DC.

I try to work ahead and then work with them while they are working.  I think I will be fine to teach Alg 1 and DH works from home now and is very mathy if we have a problem.  Geometry and up I will be outsourcing :-).  DH could teach it, but the 3 of them may not live through it -- LOL.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I think you're probably aware of the option. You just have to dive in.

Do you want someone else to handle it? The Derek Owens classes are online and you can have them graded or not. But there are others. Like Tabletclass. Or ALEKS. Or... I mean, there's a lot of options, honestly.

I tend to think that local classes aren't usually great, but it varies so much. I think only meeting 1-2 times a week is often a limitation. The Prentice Hall text is supposed to be fine. I'm guessing you can do better by teaching it yourself or doing an online course though. I'd outsource other stuff locally if you want to go that route, unless the class just has a really stellar reputation. 

If you want to teach it... I mean, we loved Jacob's. I think it's good for a lot of kids who are good at math but don't like AoPS... and kids who are a little more humanities focused because of the way he talks about math. The layout is super easy to use - a review set in each section if you want it, a main practice set, a second set if you need it, and a sort of challenge question/brain teaser. But again, plenty of options. Forester's is another. Dolciani is another. There's a lot out there.

When you picture algebra, what's your dream scenario?

I don't want someone else to handle Alg. 1.  I do want someone else to handle all the later math if we continue homeschooling :-)

I forgot about Dociani!  Is it Jacobs where I've seen people here talking about what version to use?  Do these come with teacher manuals?

I thought (very briefly) about doing TT, but all I've heard, it is not quite as strong a program as I would like.  And...I was talking with a forum homeschooling mom today about TT.  She didn't feel it was strong enough for her mathy daughter and there were some things that weren't taught in TT that were on the placement tests she had to take when she went to PS for 8th grade.

We are so used to MM and the teaching being included into the problems like a workbook.  We are good to try something new though.  I was just surprised my one didn't like AOPS.  I just read on another recent thread in the middle school forum, that AOPS didn't stick with their kids.  I was surprised to hear that.

I'm not sure what my dream scenario is -- LOL.  I think I want a solid program with great explanations (I can supplement with Khan Academy, etc. if needed) and not so many problems as to overwhelm them.  I like having chapter tests and a final exam for grading purposes.  My mathy boy loves getting tests graded.  The other one does not -- LOL.

What did you use for Pre-A?

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I don't want someone else to handle Alg. 1.  I do want someone else to handle all the later math if we continue homeschooling ?

I forgot about Dociani!  Is it Jacobs where I've seen people here talking about what version to use?  Do these come with teacher manuals?

I thought (very briefly) about doing TT, but all I've heard, it is not quite as strong a program as I would like.  And...I was talking with a forum homeschooling mom today about TT.  She didn't feel it was strong enough for her mathy daughter and there were some things that weren't taught in TT that were on the placement tests she had to take when she went to PS for 8th grade.

We are so used to MM and the teaching being included into the problems like a workbook.  We are good to try something new though.  I was just surprised my one didn't like AOPS.  I just read on another recent thread in the middle school forum, that AOPS didn't stick with their kids.  I was surprised to hear that.

I'm not sure what my dream scenario is -- LOL.  I think I want a solid program with great explanations (I can supplement with Khan Academy, etc. if needed) and not so many problems as to overwhelm them.  I like having chapter tests and a final exam for grading purposes.  My mathy boy loves getting tests graded.  The other one does not -- LOL.

What did you use for Pre-A?

One of my twins used Dolciani for pre-a, one used Jousting Armadillos.

Yes, Dolciani for algebra is Algebra: Structure and Method. We tried it and it didn't work for us, but it might for you. It's definitely rigorous. For me, the explanations ended up being lacking. But some of this is just what jibes with you and your kids, I think. There are tons of worked examples, which is where the main teaching is. The teacher book has end of chapter tests, though I used the review set as the test usually so that I didn't have to figure out how to copy it out of the answer book.

Jacobs... yes, there are two versions. The vintage and the newer reprint. The reprint apparently has a bit of religious content at the start and has many of the cartoons removed (rights issues, I think?) and one of the problem sets (set III, which is the second practice set) is no longer in the main text but is in the teacher guide or something? Otherwise is the same. I'm thinking it doesn't matter that much. As a secular homeschooler, I was annoyed by introducing religious content to a secular text, but if it's the easiest to get, I wouldn't overthink it personally. We love Jacobs. It worked for both of my kids even though they're very different math thinkers. These explanations totally jibe with me. There are worked examples, but I like the way he lays out the information in general. It worked well for me as the teacher where other programs didn't. I use the summary and review sets as the end of chapter tests.

I feel like TT is solidly for kids who need a slightly easier course. There are other online options that at least have a more rigorous reputation.

• Like 1

We are going to use Prentice Hall.  Memoria Press uses it, and they have online classes available.  They also have lesson plans, quizzes & tests.  I love that they add their own tests, so I don't have to purchase a teacher's guide or come up with my own.  It's not a program I've heard as much about, but I figure if MP uses it, it's good enough for me. 

What does your local school use?  If you are planning on possible enrolling them down the road, it might be a consideration. 

Edited by Holly
  • Like 2

AoPS Intro to Algebra is a little different than the pre-a book. The layout is similar and the way of teaching is the same, but some people on the forums have thought it is more straightforward while not liking the pre-algebra book.That said, I don’t think chapters 1-14 or whatever of Intro to Algebra lines up as well with Algebra 1 as typical textbooks do. I am also one who has posted that AoPS pre-algebra didn’t work for one of my kids. That one did great with Jacobs Algebra, though. And I do think having to do all of those word problems in AoPS was excellent regardless. I am so glad I have the AoPS books for the word problems alone; they enhance any curriculum. 

If it were me, I would still look at what the school uses or at the CC standards or whatever your state standards are. You might find a couple topics that are not in the Algebra 1 books recommended here, or are addressed a slightly different way. Then you can fill in with Khan or something like that. 

49 minutes ago, FairProspects said:

We're using Prentice Hall also. It is what the honors classes use locally, and I have a retired math teacher coming to teach it. I don't see a problem with using it as a text.

The ISBN No. for the homeschool class is 978-0-13-365946-7.  Does this match what you are using?  Just curious :-).

• 2 weeks later...

We found the prealgebra aops book very overwhelming and hard to read but stuck with it using WTMA.  This year I purchased the aops algebra book with the online text. It is so much easier to read the online version, clearer and less overwhelming. The videos that cover the lessons are embedded in the text which is very nice. Another big plus is that the exercise questions have a place to enter the answers and then there is a show solution button that gives immediate, detailed feedback.  Good luck finding a curriculum!

SJ

• 3 weeks later...

Last year for Algebra I we used Math Without Borders videos, which uses Foerster's text. My son really loved it, and it is a very affordable video option. The videos include a lesson for each section, as well as videos of him working out the solutions to all of the assigned problems. The answers to the other problems are in the back of the textbook. (I only had him follow the MWOB suggested problems). 

The only downside is that there are not tests. Well actually, there are tests in the textbook, but not in the MWOB solutions. So if you really, really wanted to do the tests, you'd have to buy a separate solutions manual. I ended up just skipping them. 

• 1 month later...