Menu

Plato and Aristotle

Mamaski

If you don't want to include them, honestly I really don't think it is necessary at that age.

If you are doing ancient history you would likely want to look at short biographies - Great Men of Greece and that sort of thing.  Kids aren't necessarily needing to read their books so much as be aware of their historical contribution or importance.  

There is, at the Baldwin Project, a book of short stories by for kids based on stories from Plato and other classical authors.  Some of them are quite nice, and some kids in that age group - probably closer to grade 3 than grade 1 - really enjoy them.  

As far as reading them directly, maybe some Plato in late middle school but I'd say best both are left to high school.  I'd not think it odd even to just barely touch on Aristotle in high school as many find they need strong guidance with him.

Edited by Bluegoat

We briefly covered Plato and Aristotle when we got to Greek history...not thoroughly, more to just introduce the idea of philosophy.    We used TedEd videos.  If you search on Youtube Under TedEd & Plato, Aristotle you'll find several videos that are kid friendly.   I noticed too that Crash Course has something on these, and they usually do a good job but I haven't watched those so can't comment.