Menu

My Fitness Pal OR Lose It apps? I NEED to track to lose weight!

I need to track to lose weight.  It helped me in the past and I didn't stick with it b/c I thought I could "estimate" my numbers.  WRONG!

So, I've used the free version of Lost It and then bought the premium one year but that was 3 years ago.  I also have used the free mfp.  Which one do you like best?  Sell me on one over the other.  I believe I'll buy the premium for 1 year to see if I drop some weight and then decide to renew. 

Thanks!  

I use MFP, and it seems to work for me. I think it's mostly the accountability of recording stuff, and MFP's database is big enough that usually I can find something close to what I'm doing. I do have premium. My fitness tracker connects to it. I wish my diabetes monitor's app did.

I also am using the free version of Habitica, along with a few friends. Being able to make progress on a quest with my friends by recording what I eat or my blood sugar is definitely motivating, and it's cute.  I use it more for "did I do X, yes or no", and for inch-pebbles (each 1000 steps in a day) and really don't use the negative stuff, only the positive. Premium for that one gets you extra costume items and quests.

• Like 1

You can scan bar codes, create custom foods, meals, and get more tracking. I figured that since I was really, really trying to track macros for diabetes control, it was worth it. I may not keep it after the year is up since I seem to have figured out what works for me.

• Like 1

Exactly!  I'm thinking "maybe" I can use it a year or two and keep the journal going.  I don't know though, I may need the accountability but maybe I could use the free version by then. Thanks much!

Ali, I would use free but I think I'd use the scan barcode a lot.  My nutritionist suggested it.  I'll have to check in to it again; maybe I don't need it.

Rachel, I used Lost It in the past and am contemplating whether I need the scan feature on mfp.  Decisions!

• Like 2

I am doing great with the Fitbit app.  I really like how it gives a weight estimate line also, it makes me feel like I’m not “gaining” weight when I go up and down a pound or threeover a few days.  The weight estimate just stays in the middle.  It’s really helpful for me.  Also I can mentally think I’m at a plateau and then look and see I’m really not, or it’s been for two weeks when I thought it was for two months, and things like that.  

Anyway I think the Fitbit app is free and you can use the weight tracker without having a Fitbit.  

But I have never used anything else so I can’t compare it.  

Edit:  this is just tracking weight (and exercise with a Fitbit). It doesn’t track food.  I have only tracked food on paper for a few days here and there.  

But tracking pounds has been more helpful than I expected!  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

I've been using the free mfp for a little over 3 weeks now and am down 8 pounds. I love it! One of the best features is that I can add the url of a recipe I find online and it figures out the calories and macros for me. It's really neat. I can add exercise and customize it, too--I've been adding walking from mapmywalk and that works really well. 

But I haven't used anything else, so there might be something really good out there. I just don't want to pay for it, and I don't have room on my phone for another app (cheap, cheap phone). 

• Like 1

Right, Chris.  I don't want to pay for mine either and my 5 yo 16 g phone is almost out of space.  But, I know there is the scan feature in mfp that let's you build your "library of foods" by scanning the barcode of a food product and it automatically shows all the nutrients, etc.  Do you know if you can scan?

You can definitely scan bar codes with the basic version of MFP.  I can also bring up macro nutrients for the day without having to subscribe to the premium version. It also connects to the apple health app and the garmin vivoactive.

• Like 1

I use the free MFP. I haven’t seen a feature that is premium that I am interested in. The database of foods is so large that I can nearly always find what I am looking for. I haven’t tried the scanning thing but I don’t even seeing that saving too much time. It would if the alternative was entering all the info myself. But I can’t remember the last time I did that. Really the database is pretty great.

I also tend to eat the same foods/same brands most of the time. So the scanner would only save time once. Then the food would be right there in my history to add again quickly.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, sheryl said:

Ali, I would use free but I think I'd use the scan barcode a lot.  My nutritionist suggested it.  I'll have to check in to it again; maybe I don't need it.

Rachel, I used Lost It in the past and am contemplating whether I need the scan feature on mfp.  Decisions!

Lose it lets you scan barcodes too. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I've been using the free mfp for a little over 3 weeks now and am down 8 pounds. I love it! One of the best features is that I can add the url of a recipe I find online and it figures out the calories and macros for me. It's really neat. I can add exercise and customize it, too--I've been adding walking from mapmywalk and that works really well. 

But I haven't used anything else, so there might be something really good out there. I just don't want to pay for it, and I don't have room on my phone for another app (cheap, cheap phone). 

Lose It does not do that, you have to enter recipes yourself. That’s a nice feature!

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!  Yes, teachermom2..., that's right!  I used to (have to?) enter each food item in to the Lose It database.  That is EACH NUTRIENT for each food because I not all of my food choices/brands were on their list.  So, the barcode comes in handy b/c I think the scanner on mfp auto displays that, right?

Would someone tell me if the above is right? AND THEN, what is the major difference b/t LI and MPF either free or premium.  Please state specifically to which one you are referring.

THANKS! If I can get what I want for free then I'd rather do that. BUT, I'm willing to pay the $40-50 a year for 1-2 years and in the meantime learn the ins and outs so I can continue on without having to pay.

I'd like to have listed:
Calories
ALL nutrients
Water intake
Weight
Scan barcode to quickly create my own library of foods
What else do I need?

So, which one would I want with my listed preferences?  LI or MFP?  Free or Premium?

Got it.  I'm not familiar with that!  We don't have up phones so I guess it wouldn't work (?).

Back to deciding if MFP or Lost It has most of the features I'm interested in as stated above.

28 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Got it.  I'm not familiar with that!  We don't have up phones so I guess it wouldn't work (?).

Back to deciding if MFP or Lost It has most of the features I'm interested in as stated above.

No, it would work with any phone. It's the best nutrition app I've found and I believe it meets all your needs so I wanted to mention it. MFP and Lose It are definitely more popular.