Menu

Where do you find French classes that are interesting and have lots of interaction.

Dd's dual enrollment French class won't make because of numbers.  She's already completed her language requirements so French isn't something she has to take but would like to take.   While we could use Duolingo or Rosetta Stone, dd would really like a class where she has interaction with others.   I've checked with organizations in the community  but am only finding children's classes. We're open to an online class or outside of the box suggestions.   The goal is for this to be more of a fun elective than a heavy class.  Any suggestions? 

Edited by Starfish

Dd has been taking French through Debra Bell's Aim Academy. The teacher is Sally Barstow.  She really enjoyed it last year and is looking forward to next year.  She often laughed during class time and there was interaction between the students.  There were several projects and games that made it interesting and Sally Barstow is delightful.  There is an extra discussion class that you can add on. We don't do that bc we do discussion at co-op.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Starfish said:

It looks like we have one about an hour away.  It's pricey though -- $1005 for  fall, winter, spring.    

What for?  Goodness, my dd did activities through the AF for a $35 membership fee and all of the meetings were free.  Are they offering classes?  You can do their meeting type activities without taking classes through them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

What for?  Goodness, my dd did activities through the AF for a $35 membership fee and all of the meetings were free.  Are they offering classes?  You can do their meeting type activities without taking classes through them.

The $1005 is for classes.  I'll need to poke around the website a bit more and give them a call.   Maybe we can do Rosetta Stone or Duolingo and add in meetings.   That seems like something which will make dd happy.   Thank you so much for helping!

If you can’t find a class consider an online tutor. We’ve had the most learning experience with those sessions and anyway I never saw the benefit of my DS sitting in an online class listening to bad French from other students to add to his own bad French ? Next to those, DE classes with actual professors have been amazing for DS.

It may take a few sessions to find the right tutor but many use curriculum, correct homework etc. I’ve even had some that used books I picked. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

If you can’t find a class consider an online tutor. We’ve had the most learning experience with those sessions and anyway I never saw the benefit of my DS sitting in an online class listening to bad French from other students to add to his own bad French ? Next to those, DE classes with actual professors have been amazing for DS.

It may take a few sessions to find the right tutor but many use curriculum, correct homework etc. I’ve even had some that used books I picked. 

Thanks! Do you have any ideas for finding an online tutor?  I'm not sure where to start for that. 

13 hours ago, Starfish said:

Thanks! Do you have any ideas for finding an online tutor?  

We had a great online French tutor for my children. She can do any level from French 1 through literature. My sons worked with her weekly on an advanced grammar review and literature, in conjunction with an online French class they were doing with another provider. They both scored 800 on the French SAT Subject exam.

Edited by yvonne
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...