Menu

Can you help me with a TV solution?

Janie Grace

I feel like we are overspending on TV. We have never been a big TV family but we got cable to watch football last fall (I have 4 boys who enjoy doing that with their dad now and then). They use it mostly for sports (World Cup, March Madness, etc). Otherwise, we watch Netflix and Amazon Prime stuff. Our cable package (including internet) is $200! That seems like so much just to watch sports. We really don't use any other channels (except dh switches to Impractical Jokers during commercials!). So is there a way to combine the things we watch and not pay for cable? Apple TV? Something else? I am so ignorant about this (I watch the least of anyone and don't pay attention to technology much). Please help!

We have sling during football/hallmark Christmas movie season.  The rest of the year we just use Roku for Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS Now, and Hulu Plus.  There are a zillion free apps too - like HGTV now has their channel streaming for free on Roku.

• Like 2

similar boat - dh  wants it for football.   we also use it for internet, and two phone lines. 

we just switched our cell phones to xfinity and get a discount as cable subscribers (though we did have to buy new phones - but once we're in we only pay for phone and it very cheap - uses verizon towers.)

we dropped out cable to just one tv, which gave us a discount - everything else has "just" internet.   ds installed plex on everything as well so he can download stuff to that, as well at netflix or prime or youtube.

24 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We switched to YouTubeTV a few months ago. It’s $40 a month plus tax. Even with increasing our internet speed we’re saving almost $100 a month. I’ve got three sports obsessed males here and they’re happy with it. 

does it get current sport seasons?  college sports?

this has been our entire obstacle to dropping satellite or cable - dh and football.  if he's going to make a change - it's always in august before the start of football season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

We have a Roku box.  Through that, we watch Hulu, Sling, Netflix, and Amazon prime (plus the free stuff we can get with the roku, like PBS Kids and such.)  We have sprint for our phones and we get Hulu through that.  Sling is $25, Netflix is $11, and I am not sure I should count Amazon prime because actually we almost never use it for TV anymore because so much of what we would want to watch is not included in Prime anyway.  But we pay the annual fee which works out to be around $10 per month.  So if you count Prime in, we pay $46 for TV.

We pay $45 for internet through Spectrum.  Like Prime, we would have it whether we were using it for TV or not.  

We also plan to buy an antenna sometime this month so that we can get the local channels.  That will be a one time cost, haven't priced it yet.  

We too have a Roku box but we also have a digital antenna through which we get a ton of local channels. Like you @happysmileylady I don't count Amazon Prime but that's because we buy so many Prime eligible items that it's a shipping program for us. However, we also get the benefit of Prime TV and we do watch a lot of shows there. Besides Prime, we have Netflix, Hulu, Acorn TV, and Britbox. Even with paying for all of those streaming services we still don't pay as much as when we had Directv (and before that cable). Sometimes we're too impatient to wait for a show so we buy the season on Amazon and even then we still don't come close to the cost of cable or satellite.

We looked at Sling but there really wasn't enough there to make it worth it for us. We don't watch sports and we get our news online or from local news on tv. 

We have Spectrum internet, which we would have regardless of how we watch tv. We tried ATT U-verse but it was terrible in our area so we went back to Spectrum. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

this has been our entire obstacle to dropping satellite or cable - dh and football.  if he's going to make a change - it's always in august before the start of football season.

I thought there was an option to buy some ESPN or other sports channels without having a cable provider. I could be wrong and since we don't watch sports I haven't actually checked into it.

• Like 1

We don't spend anything on TV. We watch plenty of sports on broadcast TV. College, NFL, etc. If there's a REALLY good game on that we don't get (because it's only on cable) then dh might go to a sports bar--well, Glory Days--it's a restaurant that broadcasts sports. Do you have anything like that around? Honestly, I can't imagine spending $2400 a year on TV. (Unless you are saying $200 total a year--that doesn't seem too bad.)

ETA: I realize this sounds judgy and I apologize. I also failed to recognize this includes internet. Hope you find what works for you. 

Edited by Chris in VA

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Yes. Sports availability is why DH picked it over Sling, Hulu, etc. You can do a seven day trial for free. Plus there’s no contract. So you’re not out much if you try it for a month or two and decide it doesn’t fit your needs. We’ve been very happy with it. The only con I can think of is that we can’t get our local Fox station where my favorite weather people are, even though we get all our other local channels.  

ETA: We also can’t get live HGTV. But we got the app and can watch plenty of episodes through it. 

Edited by Pawz4me