Menu

What's with the ads?

Raeof5

Help Me Design a Natural Based Health Curriculum Please!

I ordered the game Wildcraft and it hit me that I just need to give up trying to find a health curriculum we like and just design one. Since i always get such fabulous ideas and help from you all I'd like your help. Here's what I need.

1) Something that is fun, uses different things like games, hands on projects, etc. 

2) Something that is very rich in content and not a check the box thing. I want it to have practical applications in our lives.

3) I want it to be a natural based as possible. Alternative/herbal medicines, first aid, not the regular food pyramid but maybe a primal or whole food based diet for healthy eating, natural body care, etc.

4) I'd like it to start in 1st or 2nd grade and maybe move on up from there since we have to do health every year.

Can you all suggest a plan, resources, books, videos, games etc that you would use for this? What topics would you include in your health curriculum? I really like the idea of small unit studies but I'm not sure. I always bite off more than I can chew. Lol! Thanks in advance for all your help!

Google "herb fairies".  It's not open right now but it might be part of what you're looking for.  It's by the same people who invented Wildcraft.  You can buy the ebooks individually on Amazon also.

Other resources you might like, depending on the age of your kids:

Shanleya's Quest (botany for kids), also there's a botany card game by the same author though I'm not sure what it's called

freefirstaid.com (for older kids)

Vintage Remedies Guide for Tweens or Guide for Girls (OOP I think, shows up periodically on Ebay and homeschoolclassifieds, has lots of projects for healthier foods, natural body care, natural home care)

Real Nutrition, Real Food (has projects)

Kids Cook Real Food could possibly be part of a health course

I did this! My oldest has just been doing it willy nilly and that's fine for him, but now I'm working on a schedule for my middle son. 

I'm not at home, so I need to come back to this thread, but I can tell you that right off the bat I have them read The Onnivores Dilemma kid's edition (maybe it's called junior version?) And watch the rour part Michael Pollan food series Cooked on Netflix. 

From there we do herbalism, cooking, and first aid. But like I said I'll have to get back to you ?

the funnest thing imo is making little herbal first aid kits for their backpacks. Their favorite is picking something to cook each week and I just let them do it. 

• Like 1

OK, books:

• Eat Like A Dinosaur [we don't actually eat paleo, but all these recipes really are "open and go" for kids with the barest of kitchen abilities.)
  • A Kid's Herb Book
  • Walking The World In Wonder
  • DK First Aid Manual
  • Assorted Dover coloring books about plants and anatomy
  • Local plant field guides. The simpler, the better. Laminated pamphlets are sometimes more useful in real world conditions than exhaustive book-length guides. 
  • Nourishing Traditions. There's a child's version as well, but tbh my kids will just as soon pick up the giant book, as the little one. 
  • IF you can find them, Vintage Remedies used to make nice little books for kids. The first ones were "Wintage Remedies for Boys/Girls," but they stopped printing those and put out 'Vintage Remedies for Tweens." It looks like they stopped making that too, now. 
  •  
  • Body Into Balance 
  • The Omnivore's Dilemma for kids/Junior (there are different editions with different names but they're essentially the same)
  • Michael Pollan's show on netflix, Cooked

Games;

• The Yoga Garden Game
  • Permaculture Playing Cards
  • Wildcraft! [If I could get only one thing on this whole list, it would be this game, fwiw]

Edited by OKBud