Menu

What does everyone use for elementary English/LA/grammar?

hollyhock2

After 11 years of homeschooling, I have not found an elementary English program that I love. I have spelling, writing and literature covered so I'm just looking for grammar, maybe some poetry, and lessons about paragraphs/topic sentences. So far I have tried First Language Lessons, Rod & Staff, Climbing To Good English, Learning Language Arts Through Literature (of which I really like the Green and Gray books so I have junior high covered) and Primary Language Lessons/Intermediate Language Lessons. If nothing else, I will use R&S a year behind, but I'm wondering if there are newer ones people are using that I should look at.

So what do you use for elementary English/grammar? Grades 2 or 3 through 6.

ETA: I am going to try Language Lessons for Today with my 5th grader this year, so I'll either be able to add that to my failure list, or maybe I'll love it.

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 1

I was going to mention beowulf’s Grammar as well. 

I was fond of Barefoot meanderings English through literature but I think it covers more than what you are looking for. 

Before finding and switching over to Beowulf’s Grammar I was about to use Memoria Press Simply Classical Writing for grammar. 

• Like 2

I used BJU and loved it. I have tried other things (not a bunch of other things), just because well, I am one that gets taken by curriculum dazzle. But I always go back to BJU. I have not tried everything though..and I am sure to try more in the future...but BJU English (which is the writing and grammar program) is pretty good. I used it without the TM. If you want a TM, get the one from Christian Liberty Press instead of from BJU.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

I was going to mention beowulf’s Grammar as well. 

I was fond of Barefoot meanderings English through literature but I think it covers more than what you are looking for. 

Before finding and switching over to Beowulf’s Grammar I was about to use Memoria Press Simply Classical Writing for grammar. 

What are you using for writing?

Re: Beowulf’s Writing...did you all print at home?

I have a color printer, but just wondering if regular paper/printer is good enough for the activities? I truly despise PDFs, but I might just have to buy this one. I’ve been searching high and low trying to find an introductory grammar program for my late reader (probably combined with my 2nd grader). None of them seem quite right for him, but this might work!

I printed at home. But I buy and print PDFs alll the time.  I buy paper buy the case I think ten teams cost $25 dollars last one I ordered. I have a black and white laser and a color inkjet. I buy generic so last time I ordered I think it was a five full sets for $20. It’s been awhile since I ordered colored ink. Since I mostly use black and white. But I really felt that this one needed to be in color. 

The Beowulf’s Grammar psd comes in four parts. I printed the first section in color three times. One for my eldest (10) who could really use the grammar review, middle (7) who is just starting to learn grammar and the program screamed his name and the tag along four year old. Biggest recommendation would be to bind along the top edge.

The review questions are the in last section. I printed those off in black and white. 

I also bought the teacher guide, but I reference that on my iPad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janeway said:

What are you using for writing?

This year is the first year of doing a writing curriculum. (Unless you count all those failed attempts that didn’t last more than a month) Eldest was a late reader so we had been focusing on reading up till this last summer. Now that that’s up to something usable I have eldest and middle doing Beowulf’s Grammar and eldest is doing Treasured Conversations as his writing curriculum. https://www.educents.com/p/writing-instruction-through-guided-analysis/2bca1fce 

its going well. He likes it. I like it. We are six weeks in. 

Eyeing classical academic press’ writing and rhetoric for next year and beyond. We shall see. 

Have you looked at English Lessons Through Literature?  We really loved it.  It has copywork/dictation, grammar, writing, poetry, folk tales, and classic literature.  The writing lessons come from short fables/folk tales, and the grammar (lots of diagramming sentences)  comes from the literature books. 

• Like 1

No grammar for children until they are 9ish, and then Easy Grammar.

Writing Strands, beginning with Level 3.

To teach some things that are not covered otherwise:

AlphaBetter

Ad hoc instruction on addressing envelopes, writing letters of different kinds (including thank you notes and invitations)

Edited by Ellie

On 8/7/2018 at 1:28 PM, macmacmoo said:

I printed at home. But I buy and print PDFs alll the time.  I buy paper buy the case I think ten teams cost $25 dollars last one I ordered. I have a black and white laser and a color inkjet. I buy generic so last time I ordered I think it was a five full sets for $20. It’s been awhile since I ordered colored ink. Since I mostly use black and white. But I really felt that this one needed to be in color. 

The Beowulf’s Grammar psd comes in four parts. I printed the first section in color three times. One for my eldest (10) who could really use the grammar review, middle (7) who is just starting to learn grammar and the program screamed his name and the tag along four year old. Biggest recommendation would be to bind along the top edge.

A little hijack, but why top edge? Do you have a lefty or is there another reason? 

Im considering the whole Guest Hollow LA, so this is relevant to my research!