Menu

Latin after 1 year of Henle

CLMmom

My son has completed 1 year of Henle Latin through CC's Challenge A program. For the first half of Challenge B, he will simply review what he learned previously. Because he did well with Latin last year, I would like to supplement his curriculum for the first half of the school year so that he continues to learn new material. What Latin curriculum would you recommend?

A friend suggested Lingua Latina, but as she has never used it herself didn't know if I could get by with just the textbook (Familia Romana) or if we would need the entire set.

Another suggestion has been Picta Dicta.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Classical Conversations goes part way through Henle 1 in Challenge A. In Challenge B, they go back to the beginning and go over the same material double-time during the first semester, and then in the second semester they cover the rest of Henle 1. Because he learned the material well last year -- i.e., he wouldn't be learning any new vocabulary or endings this fall -- I am considering giving him a different Latin curriculum to supplement this fall until he reaches the new material in Henle in January. 

I think you're smart to switch away from Henle.  My daughter switched to PS, and her vocabulary was significantly behind because Henle teaches about 25% of the quantity of vocabulary that it should.   In addition, the layout is crowded and not the easy on the eyes.   

7 hours ago, CLMmom said:

Classical Conversations goes part way through Henle 1 in Challenge A. In Challenge B, they go back to the beginning and go over the same material double-time during the first semester, and then in the second semester they cover the rest of Henle 1. Because he learned the material well last year -- i.e., he wouldn't be learning any new vocabulary or endings this fall -- I am considering giving him a different Latin curriculum to supplement this fall until he reaches the new material in Henle in January. 

In that case, I cannot speak much for Lingua Latina other than it was one of my initial choices that my son rejected.  I think it's important to do all the books at each level, though.
What my son did end up gravitating to a bit was Cambridge Latin.  It has a similar immersion approach as LL, where they're reading Latin straight off the bat, but it can be scaled down to 1 book at a time.  We are using that to supplement First Form Latin this year - which is the first quarter or so of Henle.  Another choice is Latin's Not So Tough which is very reasonably priced.  Book 1 is alphabet, book 2 is basic vocab, book 3 begins sentences, so you could probably start around 4 or 5 for reinforcement of Henle.