Menu

Going from Homeschooling to Afterschooling + Summer Schooling

So, I have a kiddo with ADHD and possibly a second learning disability.   After a miserable year in KG we homeschooled him...been doing that for four years.   We're in a different state now, and got him an IEP, and they offered to put him in a reduced size/multi-grade/individualized class that I think would be good for him at this stage (though I'm mourning not being his full time teacher a bit).  

On the one hand he's going from homeschooling a few hours a day to a full day, so I don't want to add anything to that.   But there's a few programs that he's been making slow but good progress on that I would like to keep working on afterschool.   The phonics work could probably be done in 10-15 minutes a day.    That's the one I think he would most benifit from continuing.   I'm thinking about leaving the rest only for summer-time practice.    But if I did want to add in math, spelling, or an interest based subject (he's really, really interested in learning about marine life right now), do you think I should rotate it (just one subject a day)?   

The teacher is open to the idea of letting me do this IN STEAD of other homework. 

Thoughts?

Around 10yo with a history of homeschooling, may I assume he is compliant?  If so, yes, I would give it a try, but it is uncertain how much stamina he will have for it after a full day of school.  Would it be practical to do a bit before school and on weekends?  I would try to give a little time to each of the basic areas where he is behind.  Maybe 10-20 minutes every day on review, and then focus more on one topic when practical.  I would try to use the marine life interest to encourage reading and science interest (books about marine life, trips to zoos / museums / etc.)

On 8/6/2018 at 7:24 AM, SKL said:

Around 10yo with a history of homeschooling, may I assume he is compliant?  If so, yes, I would give it a try, but it is uncertain how much stamina he will have for it after a full day of school.  Would it be practical to do a bit before school and on weekends?  I would try to give a little time to each of the basic areas where he is behind.  Maybe 10-20 minutes every day on review, and then focus more on one topic when practical.  I would try to use the marine life interest to encourage reading and science interest (books about marine life, trips to zoos / museums / etc.)

Thanks.   What did you mean by "compliant?"   He's willing to give it a try if that's what you mean.   Wasn't sure though.

5 hours ago, goldenecho said:

Thanks.   What did you mean by "compliant?"   He's willing to give it a try if that's what you mean.   Wasn't sure though.

I mean he will do school work with you at home without fighting, fussing, or dragging it out.

We started afterschooling in K. No more than  40 minutes per session. . A mindless grammar workbook (Grammar Cop-- same book over and over), and an on-line math class 3  or 4  times per week. Try to have him do his school hw , and  your afterschool  work as early  possible after he gets out of  school.  Our biggest mistake when we started afterschooling, was starting after dinner when it was convenient for me to work with him. .  By that time, he was out of school mode, and couldn't reengage  Keep in mind, around 5th grade social and after school activities kick in.

Wow... 40 minutes in KG sounds like a LOT.  Our whole homeschool day in KG was about an hour long-- even broken into 15 minute chunks with breaks in between we got diminishing returns after that long.   (He repeated KG at home after a year in public school.  5 minutes of work suggested by the teacher after school was a lot then. )   He's come a long way since then...can go much longer, but I do not plan do after-schooling any time he has regular homework.   The class he is going to be in  says they don't usually do homework unless they don't finish something in school.   So I'm aiming to try maybe 15 minutes at first and maybe increase to a half hour.  If he's like my older kids he will need at least a half hour to do something fun before he can even think about doing anything more work related.  I'm thinking of taking him directly to a park after school to play and then doing this afterwards as the school gets out pretty early and is right next to a park. 

14 hours ago, gstharr said:

We started afterschooling in K. No more than  40 minutes per session. . A mindless grammar workbook (Grammar Cop-- same book over and over), and an on-line math class 3  or 4  times per week. Try to have him do his school hw , and  your afterschool  work as early  possible after he gets out of  school.  Our biggest mistake when we started afterschooling, was starting after dinner when it was convenient for me to work with him. .  By that time, he was out of school mode, and couldn't reengage  Keep in mind, around 5th grade social and after school activities kick in.

19 hours ago, SKL said:

I mean he will do school work with you at home without fighting, fussing, or dragging it out.

Now he starts in with work generally with no fussing...though if he hits a frustrating spot he will shut down and we usually break for 15 minutes and come back.