Menu

Spelling Help!

nena3927

My 5th grade ds struggles with spelling, and rules do not seem to carry over into his writing. We have used Rod and Staff spelling for the past 3 yrs. He took the CAT through CLP last week and tested right on grade level on everything except spelling. He scored a 4.5 grade level. Now, I'm not one to be hung up on test scores, but I knew R&S was not working for him and the test proved that. He made a 100 on almost every spelling test, but later would ask me how to spell the same words in his writing. I did order Spelling You See for him to look at, but he was intimidated by having to find all the "chunks". They use some different groupings than we are used to coming from Abeka phonics, so I think that confused him. I sent it back.

Any suggestions from parent's with struggling spellers that rules don't seem to help? I thought about Sequential Spelling, Dictation Day by Day, or actually making him try Spelling You See this time? I'm afraid the daily spelling tests in Sequential Spelling would have him in tears bc he hates getting anything wrong. I don't know how many grade levels are covered in DIctation Day by Day, and I'm not really sure how to use it. I love the fact that it's free though!  I've researched and researched curriculum. Help!

Edited by nena3927

32 minutes ago, nena3927 said:

My 5th grade ds struggles with spelling, and rules do not seem to carry over into his writing. We have used Rod and Staff spelling for the past 3 yrs. He took the CAT through CLP last week and tested right on grade level on everything except spelling. He scored a 4.5 grade level. Now, I'm not one to be hung up on test scores, but I knew R&S was not working for him and the test proved that. He made a 100 on almost every spelling test, but later would ask me how to spell the same words in his writing. I did order Spelling You See for him to look at, but he was intimidated by having to find all the "chunks". They use some different groupings than we are used to coming from Abeka phonics, so I think that confused him. I sent it back.

Any suggestions from parent's with struggling spellers that rules don't seem to help? I thought about Sequential Spelling, Dictation Day by Day, or actually making him try Spelling You See this time? I'm afraid the daily spelling tests in Sequential Spelling would have him in tears bc he hates getting anything wrong. I don't know how many grade levels are covered in DIctation Day by Day, and I'm not really sure how to use it. I love the fact that it's free though!  I've researched and researched curriculum. Help!

Sequential Spelling is what worked for my (formerly) spelling-challenged kiddo. We did two years and that level of drill was enough.

Edited by Sneezyone

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

Sequential Spelling is what worked for my (formerly) spelling-challenged kiddo. We did two years and that level of drill was enough.

Thanks! Was it too parent intensive? He doesn't do too well with subjects where I have to do the majority of the teaching. He prefers short instructions, then wants to do it on his own.

2 hours ago, nena3927 said:

I don't know how many grade levels are covered in DIctation Day by Day, and I'm not really sure how to use it. I love the fact that it's free though!  I've researched and researched curriculum. Help!

There are books for 2nd-8th grade.  We use it like this:

1. I look at the day's passage.  Any new words are written on the small chalkboard.  I look to see if there is anything I should point out, like a spelling rule he may have trouble with.

2. I read the passage out loud and have him repeat it back to me 3 times, so that he has it fully in his head.  Sometimes if it is long I give him a sentence at a time, but I want him to learn to hear the pauses, too, so I try to do the whole thing at once.

3. He writes, and when he is done he reads it back to me or I read it one more time so that he can make any corrections before I look at it.

4. A misspelled word is rewritten down below correctly 3 times, because it will probably come up again in the next day or two.

Every 4 days there is a review day of spelling words, about 12 or so.  I can keep track of which ones he seems to be struggling with and continue to point the applicable rules out.  It really is pretty easy, and you can start at the beginning (year 2) and progress pretty quickly if he doesn't need all the simple words.  In another thread I referenced Spell By Color, which is also handy.  It's like SYS's method of color coding different rules but it doesn't go through the same passage all week long. SBC is also free for year 1 if you wanted to try it out and see if a method like that would work.

59 minutes ago, nena3927 said:

Thanks! Was it too parent intensive? He doesn't do too well with subjects where I have to do the majority of the teaching. He prefers short instructions, then wants to do it on his own.

Nope, not even a little bit. It's really, really easy and takes about 10 min, tops. It was the constant repetition of patterns, not rules, that made all the difference. It builds muscle memory.

Edited by Sneezyone

18 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

There are books for 2nd-8th grade.  We use it like this:

1. I look at the day's passage.  Any new words are written on the small chalkboard.  I look to see if there is anything I should point out, like a spelling rule he may have trouble with.

2. I read the passage out loud and have him repeat it back to me 3 times, so that he has it fully in his head.  Sometimes if it is long I give him a sentence at a time, but I want him to learn to hear the pauses, too, so I try to do the whole thing at once.

3. He writes, and when he is done he reads it back to me or I read it one more time so that he can make any corrections before I look at it.

4. A misspelled word is rewritten down below correctly 3 times, because it will probably come up again in the next day or two.

Every 4 days there is a review day of spelling words, about 12 or so.  I can keep track of which ones he seems to be struggling with and continue to point the applicable rules out.  It really is pretty easy, and you can start at the beginning (year 2) and progress pretty quickly if he doesn't need all the simple words.  In another thread I referenced Spell By Color, which is also handy.  It's like SYS's method of color coding different rules but it doesn't go through the same passage all week long. SBC is also free for year 1 if you wanted to try it out and see if a method like that would work.

Ok, so with Dictation Day by Day, the underlined (new) words are written out for the child to see as they are completing the dictation exercise? Thanks!

1 minute ago, nena3927 said:

Ok, so with Dictation Day by Day, the underlined (new) words are written out for the child to see as they are completing the dictation exercise? Thanks!

Right.  There will be plenty of practice later on to remember them.   The book also recommends putting any proper names on the board, too, even if they're not underlined.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:48 AM, HomeAgain said:

Right.  There will be plenty of practice later on to remember them.   The book also recommends putting any proper names on the board, too, even if they're not underlined.

Do you have the child keep a spelling notebook? Or give them loose leaf paper or a dry erase board to write the dictation? I'm wondering if I should give them a blank page everyday, otherwise they will just look at the passage from the previous day on their paper to spell any words that may not know how to spell yet. I'm probably overthinking this! Just checking to see what you do! Thanks!

7 hours ago, nena3927 said:

Do you have the child keep a spelling notebook? Or give them loose leaf paper or a dry erase board to write the dictation? I'm wondering if I should give them a blank page everyday, otherwise they will just look at the passage from the previous day on their paper to spell any words that may not know how to spell yet. I'm probably overthinking this! Just checking to see what you do! Thanks!

Last year we used a blank page each day.  His Language Arts workbook came with a page for dictation, so instead of using theirs, we used DDbD on that page.
This year I bought a notebook.  We'll do one week's passages on each page to create a story.  There are enough words to spiral through now that the sentences aren't as repetitive.  The spelling test day will be on a separate sheet of paper.  And if it doesn't work out? ? We'll go back to using scratch paper for each day's work.

• 2 years later...

Sequential Spelling was hated and a miserable tear filled program for my perfectionist. 

That said, nothing really has worked for her...she's doing Nessy Readning and Spelling online, plus the Hairy Words 1 and Hairy Words 2 apps and that seems to have made more difference than anything else. (she's dyslexic)

It would be totally independent for him - and it adapts to their level. In the beginning they do an evaluation to see where they are at in reading and spelling, then the program starts them where they need to be.