Menu

Digitally organizing DVDs

Technically, ripping (making a digital copy) of a copyrighted DVD is illegal.

Some DVD copyrights make exceptions for the original owner to make one digital copy for personal use.

Many people still believe that making one digital copy of any DVD is okay as long as it is for their personal use. While this is a false assumption, it is also unlikely that anyone will be prosecuted as long as it is only for your personal use (not to give or sell to friends, relatives, etc.).

If you have a Windows computer, you should have the option to rip the DVD in one of the top menus of Windows Media Player. I have no idea if an Apple computer can do the same thing.

If you don't have Windows media player, VLC media player can rip DVDs but it is a much more complicated process. Youtube has lots of tutorials for Windows Media Player and VLC.

You are sweet to reply.  I probably won’t get many replies since I asked to do something illegal. Haha.

For some reason, it didn’t occur to me that copying them for my own use wasn’t kosher.  There’s a reason I didn’t go to law school.

Let’s assume I have some that allow one copy for my own use.  Reducing my DVD quantity by any amount would still be helpful. I do know how to rip, but they would then be on my computer and that wouldn’t be that convenient to view them on the TV. That also might take up a lot of real estate on my hard drive.

I was thinking of a (somehow) easy to access (searchable) hard drive or something like that connected to the TV. I have a fair amount of video given out freely by supplement companies that isn’t copy written at all that I could use this information for also.

You could get an external hard drive to use as a dedicated digital media drive. If your TV is able to be wifi connected, you can connect the hard drive to your router (or some hard drives have the ability to be connected to wirelessly without a router) and your TV can access the hard drive that way.

Or, most modern TVs have at least one USB port for accessing digital media. You could connect the hard drive to the TV that way and the TV remote should have some way of navigating the drive. How sophisticated the search ability of the drive is would be would depend on how sophisticated your TV is regardless of whether you connect it wirelessly or by USB.

One final option would be to get a DVR that is capable of connecting to the computer and the TV (doesn't have to be simultaneously, just load it on the computer then connect to the TV). This option would probably give you the greatest searchability of your media. 

We have a 4TB external hard drive that we keep all our digital media on. An average 90 minute digital movie is about 1GB in size, a 30 minute digital video would be a little less than half a GB. So you can figure out how much digital media you want to store and buy whatever size hard drive or DVR fits your needs. HTH